Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Would some1 be so nice, please, to confirm (from a personal experience), that I'll be able to watch my self-made iPhone 6s Plus' video clips (4K30p) on a 4K tv set via Lightning to HDMI adapter (in full resolution)? I know that the new announced (for late october) Apple TV won't be able to handle 4K video.

But the HDMI cable should do so, shouldn't it? Thx in adv for enlightenment.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
No, the Lightning to HDMI adapter still only supports 1080p, it is a hardware limitation of the adapter, not of the phone. Apple would need to release a new 4K-capable Lightning to HDMI Adapter.

At present, there is no iOS-device-only method of viewing the iPhone 6S/6S Plus 4K video on a 4K TV set. You would have to use some other device, such as transferring it to a computer that has 4K-capable HDMI output, or upload it to YouTube and use a 4K compatible YouTube player (a few 4K TVs, the 2015 Amazon FireTV, and the to-be-released-soon Roku 4 are the only ones I know of.)

Reactions: phrehdd and Habakuk

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
...or a 4K :apple:TV :rolleyes:

As is: shoot 4K on Apple iPhones -> edit 4K in Apple FCPX or Apple iMovie -> render 4K in Apple Quicktime -> store the 4K file in Apple iTunes -> Apple TV4 -> 4KTV :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hopefully :apple:TV5 "now with 4K" will arrive with- but probably soon after- next year's iPads if they inherit this year's iPhone 4K cameras to fix that one weak link in an otherwise complete Apple chain. Same thing last time: iPhone could shoot 1080p, then iPads could shoot 1080p, THEN :apple:TV3 "now with 1080p" arrived.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think the quickest way to see your footage would be to transfer the video to a computer, then copy to a USB memory stick, then plug the memory stick into the 4K TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.