Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I have the same issue with backlight spotlighting on my 6S. It's noticeable looking at the screen directly or at an angle. It's still better than a couple that I went through that were horrendously gray/dim toward the top half of the screen.

I decided that I'm ok with this one, because it could be worse. I notice it every time I pick up the phone, and it drives me nuts, but for me it's just a good reminder to not live my life staring at a phone screen. So I use this iPhone less than any I've ever had - which is probably a good thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorKrabs

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Well the phone is being currently in transit on it's way back to AT&T. I find it very strange that if I return it to a store they charge a $35 restocking fee, and another activation fee (if I buy it again) Yet I can return it via mail and not have to pay a restocking fee, or any other fees. You would thing a corporate AT&T store would have the same policies as.. you know.. corporate.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I'm surprised - given the impressive and annoying level of pedanticness that often exists on the MR Forums - that no one on this thread pointed out that - from a legal standpoint - there is nothing that defines this technically as an "upgrade". The word upgrade was never once used during the keynote nor on the Apple website. Carriers use the word upgrade to market it to us yes but Apple are very careful to not use the word upgrade and thus - at least technically speaking - this is a new product. Having sequential product numbers/names does not directly imply an upgrade.

Personally I agree with DockerKrabs in that the display degradations on the product compared to the 6+ that're clearly obvious with many of us when we hold them side by side are clearly apparent and unacceptable from the brand standards that Apple have tied us into over the years, but technically (if only from a legal standpoint) the product is not an "upgrade" but rather a new model, and using the premise of it as an "upgrade" invalidates your point from a technical perspective - although the regressions are unacceptable from a "customer feel" perspective.

For comparison/explanations sake; Apple could release a 0.5Mhz 128MB ram phone with a VGA resolution screen as the iPhone 7 and the same principle would apply - you would be unable to claim the regressions are unfair as the product is an "upgrade" because it was never an "upgrade" to begin with but rather a new release of a product with a step-up version number with many regressions.

We see this in software all the time where companies release a product with a higher version number despite the codebase being completely rewritten and missing numerous features (just look at Final Cut Pro!) - as it was never marketed as an "upgrade" you cannot use it as a basis for complaint!

.....despite your complaints being perfectly valid from an end-user perspective.

I apologise for the pedanticness of this post. You are right in "reality" terms but wrong in technical terms and because I've had a fair amount of Bombay Sapphire I feel the need to point out this technical inaccuracy!

But in reality: I'm disappointed with my new 6s+ and this sort of thing was the exact reason I waited a couple of months for them to fix anything they can hardware production wise but alas: Sadly Apple continued its trend of cheaping out and left the backlight and yellow-tint issues persist likely to save money because they know we'll buy the iPhone 7 as soon as we can (even if the only reason we're buying it is to get rid of our backlight dark spots and yellow tint compared to the 6+!)
http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
All set. at&t got the phone on Friday. I had to call and tell them. They reversed my contract. I went to an at&t store and tried to buy a 128GB space gray 6s Plus. They said that while I was no longer under contract, my upgrade eligibility wasn't returned and they couldn't do anything. I called at&t while at the store and they fixed it. I don't understand how a COPERATE at&t store can't call their own crappy customer service and fix it. Or why they can't fix things themselves. Seems like punks work at cell phone stores these days. Not just at&t though.

My new phone has a little curtain effect like the first one, but it's barley visible and you HAVE to look for it at an angle. I did get s random SIM card not installed error, so I took the SIM card out and cleaned it. So far so good.

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
All set. at&t got the phone on Friday. I had to call and tell them. They reversed my contract. I went to an at&t store and tried to buy a 128GB space gray 6s Plus. They said that while I was no longer under contract, my upgrade eligibility wasn't returned and they couldn't do anything. I called at&t while at the store and they fixed it. I don't understand how a COPERATE at&t store can't call their own crappy customer service and fix it. Or why they can't fix things themselves. Seems like punks work at cell phone stores these days. Not just at&t though.

My new phone has a little curtain effect like the first one, but it's barley visible and you HAVE to look for it at an angle. I did get s random SIM card not installed error, so I took the SIM card out and cleaned it. So far so good.

I'm happy for you. So it doesn't have the pressure point in the bottom left of the screen?
In my experience with the iPhone 6s Plus you have to come to a compromise. Most of the screens have an issue of some sort. The exchange game is an awful experience and is no guarantee you'll get a better screen or the TSMC (for some).

:cool:

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
That is pretty nice, at least it gives me some hope. I ordered one and it is week 43. Thanks

Mine is week 43 and it does have the pressure point blemish on the bottom left, it's not as bad as my first one, but it's still there. <sigh>

Pieceandlove

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2016
I was wondering if everyone who had this problem with the backlight bleeding at/near launch: did the problem get worse over time or stay the same, if you decided not to exchange it? I just bought a 6s Plus Friday, and it has the smudged black line in the status bar with the backlight peeking through in several places all around the screen. I think if it doesn't get any worse, or compromise the integrity of the phone or whatever you'd like to call it, I'd just keep it and not bother exchanging it. It's a minor, but annoying issue, but I'd hate to get another one only for it to be just as bad or worse. Any help/ insight would be greatly appreciated.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
After 7 months of complaining about these issues on my regular 6S, mainly the dark spot of what looks like dust in the top left, I got mine replaced and the new one is better. It still has some of the wavy pattern or light peeking on top, but it's not as bad as the other one and there's no dark spot. My older 4S built in 2012 has worse light bleed on the top of the screen, so it's not a sign of hardware quality decline.

It didn't get better or worse over the 7 months that I had the original phone.

The whole phone was replaced because of the screen issue and a lock button issue, so if it's only the screen, they will probably replace only that part and it will probably be less likely to have light bleed.

TMT97

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I just received my new iPhone 6s Plus today. Ordered from at&t. Is this considered normal? It's like you can see the LEDs. On my old 5s, it's uniform. Kinda bothers me since I paid $500 for the phone (128GB with 2 year contract)

I contacted Apple, and they said since its brand new, at&t would be the people to deal with. at&t claims that once it's opened, it's Apple I deal with since its a warranty defect. Does anyone else have this screen issue? I haven't even taken the plastic protector off yet, and the phone sometimes telling me No Sim and then switches back wonder if it's the phone or SIM card? Haven't activated service yet. View attachment 598346 View attachment 598347 View attachment 598348
I just received my new iPhone 6s Plus today. Ordered from at&t. Is this considered normal? It's like you can see the LEDs. On my old 5s, it's uniform. Kinda bothers me since I paid $500 for the phone (128GB with 2 year contract)

I contacted Apple, and they said since its brand new, at&t would be the people to deal with. at&t claims that once it's opened, it's Apple I deal with since its a warranty defect. Does anyone else have this screen issue? I haven't even taken the plastic protector off yet, and the phone sometimes telling me No Sim and then switches back wonder if it's the phone or SIM card? Haven't activated service yet. View attachment 598346 View attachment 598347 View attachment 598348
[doublepost=1509211538][/doublepost]How to solve this problem? or accept living with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.