Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
http://www.antutu.com/en/view.shtml?id=8184

Even the iPhone 6 Plus scored around the same as the Galaxy Note 5! Does this mean the older 6s scores that were really low were just lies? How reliable is AnTuTu compared to GeekBench (now that it is also cross-platform)?

UPDATE: iPad Pro scored 180,000, or 100% more than the highest Android score.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Antutu was updated last month. This updated changed how the final score is given vs the older version.
Based on what I have read, antutu now places more emphasis on graphics. Hence why the 6p is much closer to the note 5 now and why the 6s is so high.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Antutu was updated last month. This updated changed how the final score is given vs the older version.
Based on what I have read, antutu now places more emphasis on graphics. Hence why the 6p is much closer to the note 5 now and why the 6s is so high.

Doesn't that make sense, though, given how much more we rely on the GPU with each passing year? Or am I wrong?

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Doesn't that make sense, though, given how much more we rely on the GPU with each passing year? Or am I wrong?
Well I am not sure to be honest. Does day to day apps require highend gpu for a smooth experience? I am talking apps like WhatsApp, imessages, Facebook, browser, etc.

For games most definitely, especially since games are getting more "high end" for mobile devices. However I don't think majority of consumers play much intensive games.
Powervr / Apple is so far ahead of the game in gpu though. Not sure if their lower screen resolution plays a big factor.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
While i like benchmarks, you also need to take into account how they effect you in real life. This is like saying one car can reach 150mph while another can only get to 120mph. So while yes, one is technically much faster, if your both on winding roads that top speed won't make much difference in the driving experience between the two.

Edit: actually that's a bad analogy for what I was trying say. It's actually more like like both going at top speed to a destination 1 mile away, sure you'll get there a couple seconds earlier, but how does that really effect your day?

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
It's probably subjective as to what it means for each user but it's nice to know that the capabilities of the 6s are pretty high, more so than a lot of people predicted.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It's probably subjective as to what it means for each user but it's nice to know that the capabilities of the 6s are pretty high, more so than a lot of people predicted.
I really hope apple puts that extra power to good use with iOS 10, would love multi window support.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
While i like benchmarks, you also need to take into account how they effect you in real life. This is like saying one car can reach 150mph while another can only get to 120mph. So while yes, one is technically much faster, if your both on winding roads that top speed won't make much difference in the driving experience between the two.

Edit: actually that's a bad analogy for what I was trying say. It's actually more like like both going at top speed to a destination 1 mile away, sure you'll get there a couple seconds earlier, but how does that really effect your day?

It is almost 41% higher performance on that benchmark than the 6p which everyone and their mother touts as the best android phone to get. It takes me 35 minutes to get to work. If I can get to work 41% quicker that saves me 14 minutes and 35 seconds. It takes 323 minutes to fly to New York City from LAX. If I can get there 41% sooner then that saves almost a 133 minutes or 2.2 hours. 41% better performance is definitely not a few seconds. As this video shows it is 41 seconds faster in the speed lap test.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
It is almost 41% higher performance on that benchmark than the 6p which everyone and their mother touts as the best android phone to get. It takes me 35 minutes to get to work. If I can get to work 41% quicker that saves me 14 minutes and 35 seconds. It takes 323 minutes to fly to New York City from LAX. If I can get there 41% sooner then that saves almost a 133 minutes or 2.2 hours. 41% better performance is definitely not a few seconds. As this video shows it is 41 seconds faster in the speed lap test.

Yeah the 6s is impressive. I'd never have to open apps like that but it does show that the 6s is on par/exceeds the competition in performance.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
My thoughts too the chip is an outstanding performer. The OS holds it back.
That is very true. I hope the A10 is a modest upgrade over the A9 and not an insignificant one just because they would like to save the extra performance for the 7s.
[doublepost=1452777282][/doublepost]I'd also like to see the A8X and A9X scores as well, just to get an idea of how much better they are over their "regular" counterparts.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think that I should add that the Letv Le Max Pro, the new Snapdragon 820 phone scored a pretty staggering 133,357 on Antutu. Apple, get ready for 2016!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think that I should add that the Letv Le Max Pro, the new Snapdragon 820 phone scored a pretty staggering 133,357 on Antutu. Apple, get ready for 2016!
Yep...can't wait for the S7 benchmarks! Then when Android phones start winning all the apple guys touting benchmarks will downplay the importance of benchmarks again.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yep...can't wait for the S7 benchmarks! Then when Android phones start winning all the apple guys touting benchmarks will downplay the importance of benchmarks again.

Uh shouldn't the s7 have better performance since its newer? I look at benchmarks but honestly I just expect the iPhone to be basically on par with current gen flagships. But even that can be misleading because typically Apple marries hardware and software efficiently.

I'm sure the flagships coming will be powerhouses. The a9 was a surprise to most because of how big a performance jump it was along with the new controller for faster drive speeds. I think the s7 is interesting for sure, along with the usual offerings from lg etc. I think only people on these forums really care about benchmarks to the degree that a discussion needs to be made.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Uh shouldn't the s7 have better performance since its newer? I look at benchmarks but honestly I just expect the iPhone to be basically on par with current gen flagships. But even that can be misleading because typically Apple marries hardware and software efficiently.

I'm sure the flagships coming will be powerhouses. The a9 was a surprise to most because of how big a performance jump it was along with the new controller for faster drive speeds. I think the s7 is interesting for sure, along with the usual offerings from lg etc. I think only people on these forums really care about benchmarks to the degree that a discussion needs to be made.
No you don't get it do you? It is a different chipset. The 820 should be a beast of a chipset. Then the Exynos 8890 should be outstanding too. There will ALWAYS be something new and improved just around the corner. That is how technology works.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
No you don't get it do you? It is a different chipset. The 820 should be a beast of a chipset. Then the Exynos 8890 should be outstanding too. There will ALWAYS be something new and improved just around the corner. That is how technology works.

Uh yeah. So I'll say again. The s7 isn't even out yet. So I'd hope it'd be an improvement over the s6. What isn't there to get? I just said the upcoming flagships will all be powerhouses most likely.

U ok? Calm down it'll be ok.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Uh yeah. So I'll say again. The s7 isn't even out yet. So I'd hope it'd be an improvement over the s6. What isn't there to get? I just said the upcoming flagships will all be powerhouses most likely.

U ok? Calm down it'll be ok.
Lol awwww you ok man? Worried about the next chipsets beating the current benchmarks? It's ok man.... Like calm down and don't stress. Chillax man. It's all good.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Lol awwww you ok man? Worried about the next chipsets beating the current benchmarks? It's ok man.... Like calm down and don't stress. Chillax man. It's all good.

What? Lol that's your response? Tell me from your previous post what don't I get? You preaching about these chipsets being a beast. I agree. What's the confusion on your end for you to say to me I don't get it?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

You seem upset. Why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.