Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
So I got the new 32gb version of the 6S yesterday and straight away I noticed an issue with signal strength. In my lounge I usually have 1-2 bars but on this sitting with no signal and upstairs in my bedroom its usually full bars on the 6S its 2-3 and fluctuating.

I did a quick search and found a long list on the apple forums with others having the same results but there doesn't seem to be a solution. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7244825?start=60&tstart=0 Anyone have this problem or indeed a solution before I have to return the phone?

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
No one have this issue? I returned the 6S and got another and I am having the exact same issue, I do live in a fairly weak signal area and the antenna on this phone can't deliver. I think I might have to give up on the 6S

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 6S+ had great reception so it might just be that you area is bad for reception as you stated. There are some phone that do better on RF and you might have to move to one of them.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
So I got the new 32gb version of the 6S yesterday and straight away I noticed an issue with signal strength. In my lounge I usually have 1-2 bars but on this sitting with no signal and upstairs in my bedroom its usually full bars on the 6S its 2-3 and fluctuating.

I did a quick search and found a long list on the apple forums with others having the same results but there doesn't seem to be a solution. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7244825?start=60&tstart=0 Anyone have this problem or indeed a solution before I have to return the phone?

What are you comparing to when you say e.g. “I usually have full bars”? It’s not very accurate to compare “bars” on different phones.

Now, I can imagine the following issues:

* Your old phone didn’t have LTE, now you do, so you compare stronger 3G signal to weaker LTE. Usually networks force LTE capable phones to be on LTE.

* Maybe carrier settings need to be updated? Go to Settings -> About and tap on the Carrier Settings field a few times, if there is an update available you’ll be prompted to install it.

* Try resetting the network settings (and the above)

* Maybe you need a new SIM card? Can you go to the carrier shop and see if this makes any difference?

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
What are you comparing to when you say e.g. “I usually have full bars”? It’s not very accurate to compare “bars” on different phones.

Now, I can imagine the following issues:

* Your old phone didn’t have LTE, now you do, so you compare stronger 3G signal to weaker LTE. Usually networks force LTE capable phones to be on LTE.

* Maybe carrier settings need to be updated? Go to Settings -> About and tap on the Carrier Settings field a few times, if there is an update available you’ll be prompted to install it.

* Try resetting the network settings (and the above)

* Maybe you need a new SIM card? Can you go to the carrier shop and see if this makes any difference?

I am coming from a Galaxy S7, we don't have LTE in the UK just 4G, I did reset the network setting, and the same sim works fine in the Galaxy S7, I have used a few iPhones in my time and can only put it down to the 6s having a smaller antenna or something as I never had this issue before and the fact the replacement did the exact same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.