Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamborghini392

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
After hearing the new iPhones have NVMe flash storage I decided to run passmark storage test to see what my read and write speeds are. Now the average write speed for the 6S is ~300MB/s and the read speeds are around 1700MB/s with a passmark score of about 75k. My iPhone 6S (16GB version if it matters) only scores 40MB/s write and 700MB/s read for a score of 40k with no apps running or installing in the background. Did they cut back the baseline 16GB version or something? I mean relatively speaking these scores are trash and am wondering if I have a defective device. Obviously compared to other phones this still blows them out of the water...

EDIT: Yeah nvm.. apparently the 16GB is quite a bit slower than the 64GB and the 128GB is even faster than that. 60MB/s and 900MB/s seem to be about right for 16GB version. My phone is still worse than that though. That brings up the question of whether I should exchange my 16GB for a 64GB. Still under the 14 day return but not sure if it's worth the extra $4 a month. I'd assume not... not sure still.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
After hearing the new iPhones have NVMe flash storage I decided to run passmark storage test to see what my read and write speeds are. Now the average write speed for the 6S is ~300MB/s and the read speeds are around 1700MB/s with a passmark score of about 75k. My iPhone 6S (16GB version if it matters) only scores 40MB/s write and 700MB/s read for a score of 40k with no apps running or installing in the background. Did they cut back the baseline 16GB version or something? I mean relatively speaking these scores are trash and am wondering if I have a defective device. Obviously compared to other phones this still blows them out of the water...

EDIT: Yeah nvm.. apparently the 16GB is quite a bit slower than the 64GB and the 128GB is even faster than that. 60MB/s and 900MB/s seem to be about right for 16GB version. My phone is still worse than that though. That brings up the question of whether I should exchange my 16GB for a 64GB. Still under the 14 day return but not sure if it's worth the extra $4 a month. I'd assume not... not sure still.
Go for it if price is not the deciding factor. You'll thank me later.:D

lamborghini392

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Do you think the extra storage and faster speeds are worth $100 and the possibility of receiving a samsung chip :D?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.