Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest data from research firm Strategy Analytics shows that Apple currently accounts for two of the three top-selling smartphone models shipped worldwide.

iphone_6s_2q16_strategy_analytics.jpg

iPhone 6s was the world's top-selling smartphone in the second quarter of 2016, based on an estimated 14.2 million shipments, while the two-year-old iPhone 6 trailed in second with an estimated 8.5 million shipments.

Strategy Analytics added that the iPhone 6s is "currently the world's most popular smartphone," implying that it has remained the top-selling smartphone through the third quarter leading up to the launch of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Both the iPhone 6s and two-year-old iPhone 6 outsold Samsung's newer Galaxy S7 edge, released in March 2016, which finished third with an estimated 8.3 million shipments in the second quarter.

Apple officially reported sales of 40.4 million iPhones during the second quarter, including the iPhone 6s Plus and older models.

iPhone 7 models could remain the top-selling smartphones worldwide through the holiday shopping season after Samsung's voluntary Galaxy Note7 recall due to isolated incidents of exploding batteries. Some analysts forecast the "heartbreaking" recall could cost Samsung between $1 billion and $5 billion in revenue.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Named World's Most Popular Smartphone Ahead of iPhone 7

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah it's a great phone I have it from launch day and i love the device in every way the improved quick touch id sensor and i love using 3D touch wile switching between apps and shortcuts the battery has been great for now no lag or issues so far,still can't convince myself getting iPhone 7 as this phone is going strong day by day

Last edited:

Someone256

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
This phone is a complete beast, I won't replace my 6s for at least 3 years.

After coming from android (Galaxy s6) 6 months ago to the i6s I feel like the iPhone is in its own league and android is just a cheap Chinese copy, that's how it feels to me.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Where do they get their data from?

I'm curious about this too as the data is a bit surprising. Seems that the S7 non-edge variant would be more popular than a two year old iPhone 6, particularly in other parts of the world where android in general is more popular.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Come on MacRumors, you've one day remaining to target it with your negativity in an a pithy attempt to get people to hate it. After that you can move your targets to iPhone 7. Hope you don't squirm too much in your bed when that succeeds. iPhone 8 should have you hurling overboard. When it arrives be sure to throw in comments such as Apple has no right to patent rounded-rectangles. And the proverbial, fire Tim Cook. After all the Apple Watch isn't round enough for you.

Reactions: ABC5S

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Still very happy with my day two 6S, along with my LG G5. Not really sure what "big thing" any manufacturer can come up with that would want to make me change again any time soon, apart from a jump in camera quality, which seems unlikely.

I'm just waiting on a reason to upgrade my MBPr.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Come on MacRumors, you've one day remaining to target it with your negativity in an a pithy attempt to get people to hate it. After that you can move your targets to iPhone 7. Hope you don't squirm too much in your bed when it succeeds.
Do you realise this is a news site .....MR is not making these stories up.....follow the links to find the real haters ;) as you call em.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Do their stats for the 6s include both the 6s and 6s Plus? Because rather than list the S7 they list only the S7 edge, which is the larger version of the two, whereas the 6s is obviously the smaller version on the Apple side. Would be interesting if the larger S7 edge outsold the smaller S7 while at the same time the smaller 6s outsold the larger 6s Plus.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
It was an amazing phone, loved every bit of it! But the iPhone 4 will be my favourite design ever.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm still really happy that Apple put nearly everything I care about from the 6S into the SE, which for me has a superior form factor (both in size and shape, IMHO). I agree with those who say the 4/4S was their favourite ever though.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
The iPhone 6 and the (high-horsepower) 6S represent Apple's long, long awaited foray into larger-screen-phone land.

It's no surprise they are the most popular phones around. Not to mention their brand cachet.

They are excellent devices in their own right. And for those who like to keep it simple, they are outstanding devices (as all Apple products are in their "limited" niche).

Say anything you will about Apple, but I will say this:

Apple devices may not do everything others can, but what they do set out to do, they (arguably) do it better than anyone.

Last edited:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Just hope they get rid of the home button. After using Android smartphones without a physical button, it just seems old-tech to press a button lol. I wish my Galaxy Note 7 didn't have one; it's a nuisance.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
In terms of overall experience I think the 6s is still unmatched at this point. But certain areas of the phone are lagging behind compared with the best of the rest.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Utterly GARBAGE "study" ... Samsung's Galaxy line in the US has a couple models, but internationally the Galaxy line has about 500 SKUs... so it's a completely pointless comparison. A more fair comparison would be "Apple vs Samsung Smartphone Sales" in which Samsung would obliterate Apple. But Samsung GETS it... in a country like Thailand, Samsung offers high end, low end, middle of the road, etc. Lots of options and variants for every budget, need, etc.

But hey, whatever you want to post to make it seem like Apple isn't the gnat in the room. Until Apple customers demand more of Apple, we're going to get same models year after year. Why do you think there is no innovation anymore? Because Apple fanboys (yea including me) tolerate the same crap year after year ....

Reactions: ani4ani and eebrown

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Utterly GARBAGE "study" ... Samsung's Galaxy line in the US has a couple models, but internationally the Galaxy line has about 500 SKUs... so it's a completely pointless comparison. A more fair comparison would be "Apple vs Samsung Smartphone Sales" in which Samsung would obliterate Apple. But Samsung GETS it... in a country like Thailand, Samsung offers high end, low end, middle of the road, etc. Lots of options and variants for every budget, need, etc.

But hey, whatever you want to post to make it seem like Apple isn't the gnat in the room. Until Apple customers demand more of Apple, we're going to get same models year after year. Why do you think there is no innovation anymore? Because Apple fanboys (yea including me) tolerate the same crap year after year ....

I take it as the most popular premium handset. Which the iPhone is every year. Your other points are valid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.