Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you encountered this issue yet?

• Yes

Votes: 695 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 533 43.4%

• Total voters

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Popped my cherry about two hours ago with this problem
1) iP6s, VZW, Silver, 64GB, 9.0.2, received day 1 in mail
2) new
3) new, not restored, never do. did both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 through iTunes
4) Maybe, I've got a ton of stuff in the diagnostics area
5) no

I was yelping a restaurant, then placed it down to look up restaurant on iPad instead. when I picked it up a few minutes later, iP6s was in a coma. Needed to hold home and power to restart because power alone wasn't cutting it

Accipiter

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Definitely had this issue come up about a week ago. iPhone shut itself off while sitting on my nightstand overnight. Alarm didn't go off, was late for work.

Woke up the following morning and restarted the device with power and home.

iPhone 6S.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Happened to my iPhone last night. I was browsing the home screen when it rebooted itself.

iPhone 6S 64GB. iOS 9.0.2.
This is a different issue. Ive had this happen on my 5s running iOS8.1.2 and 3. While using it, the phone would just reboot white screen. I guess the phone just craps itself. But I think this is entirely different from the phone shutting off while idle and not able to be used until hard reset.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, my launch day iPhone 6s Plus just had this very issue. I reached to my Apple Watch to check the weather, and it said it couldn't get the weather... uh.. ok. I reach for my phone and it's off. The Touch ID/home button is BURNING hot right now.

Just did the Home button/Power button reboot. What the heck is going on, here?

gtnator

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I just experienced this problem. I've had my new phone for only 3 days. My phone just shut off while I had it in my hands. There was no indication that the phone shut off (no spinning wheel), it just shut off. I was admiring the metal design and pushed a button which made me notice the phone shut off. Also, the home button was HOT. The phone would not turn on using the side button. I called apple and they told me to hold the side button and the home button for 10 seconds, which worked.

1. iPhone 6S Plus 128 GB Space Grey, iOS 9.01, idle state
2. Device started as NEW
3. No
4. None
5. None

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Everyone, please refer to the original post. I've updated with a some remedies from Apple and more details about this bug. Please test and report back.

Thanks.

Reactions: ArizonaAnnie

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Everyone, please refer to the original post. I've updated with a some remedies from Apple and more details about this bug. Please test and report back.

Thanks.

1. iPhone 6s Plus, 9.1 b2
2. Restored from backup
3. iCloud
4. No
5. No

I mean no offense, but if the solution is to wipe my backup and start afresh, my response to Apple is simple: No.

As an addition, Apple is not going to convince me that a week of having no issues with my new iPhone 6s Plus, and then all of a sudden it's iCloud backups causing an issue where it shuts off and my Home Button is burning hot? iCloud backup is the issue? I don't believe it.

Now, to be fair, what has chanced is I install 9.1 public b2 this last night. So I'm going to roll back to 9.0.2 and see if it fixes anything.

Last edited:

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I mean no offense, but if the solution is to wipe my backup and start afresh, my response to Apple is simple: No.

Solution #1 doesn't require wiping the backup. But I will say that even if Apple updates the software and your device is still communicating with a broken piece of code, it could never go away so there may be no choice.

And I think it is a poor experience to have to do this, you aren't alone on that.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Solution #1 doesn't require wiping the backup. But I will say that even if Apple updates the software and your device is still communicating with a broken piece of code, it could never go away so there may be no choice.

And I think it is a poor experience to have to do this, you aren't alone on that.

I'm also willing to bet it's not the issue. At all. For what it's worth, I had reset all my settings last night due to not being impressed with my 6s Plus battery life, and then today it shut off.

I can't even recall I a time when was told something by an Apple rep that turned out to be true about "this" sort of device behavior (you know, the kind that nobody knows currently what is causing it).

Cubsfan16

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
I'll just start by saying that I haven't had this issue yet(fingers crossed). The first day I got my 6s plus I noticed the battery was draining a ton while idle. I checked my battery usage and noticed that Facebook was using almost 50% of my battery in background activity. The thing is I had Facebook background refresh set to off. I went into settings and went to general>Storage & iCloud usage then went to Facebook and deleted it and all of its data from my phone and then reinstalled it. Now Facebook is only using 5% of my battery at all times.

Not sure if everyone with this problem has Facebook installed or if this even helped but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So I didn't think it would happen to me but today my phone kept restarting then finally stopped working. Would turn on to the apple logo then back off. Went into Apple Store with no reservation and got a replacement.

P71Jeff

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
Ramona,Ca
Howdy folks This is my very 1st iPhone 6s,Started with iOS 9.00 then 9.01 now 9.02 and mine just had this problem a couple of hours ago and I have only had this phone since the September 25, Did the reset as per instructions so it came back with no problems as of yet, What a bad taste this can cause for a new to iPhone user hope they get this figured out soon

Ultraxdjs

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I have encountered the same issue several times this week.
iPhone 6S 128 GB factory unlocked running 9.0.2 bought at Apple Store on launch day carrier is AT&T. I restored from back up via 2012 Mac mini.

Update #1: iOS 9.0.2 is released.
Update #2: Issue confirmed in isolated cases at Apple forums
Update #3: New survey questions (thanks notgreg)
Update #4: A possible fix has arrived.

View the latest data here.

Issue:
Many users have found out that their iPhone 6S, 6S+ (some 6) turns off by itself, even when left unattended. It is fixed by forcing a restart of holding the home and power button for 10 seconds. Had this issue? Read below.

Is this problem a priority bug fix for Apple?
I was told by an Apple rep that this error isn't well documented. Based on our survey, this is probably because it is not identifiable in diagnostics. There are not very many common links between any of our diagnostics reports.

What causes it?
I've been told that at least one of (many?) possible causes is likely corrupted iCloud backups. If you've restored your device from any previous backup through iCloud, and that backup is corrupted, it could result in this problem. There has been some acknowledgment that iCloud still has bugs.

How should I fix it?

1. Method 1: (for those who setup a device as new OR restored from backup)

Reset all your settings and test for a couple days for stability before attempting anything else. (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings>

2. Method 2: (for those who restored from backup)
If #1 fails, make sure all your iCloud data is saved then setup as a new iPhone (here). You'll need to re-download all your apps manually so create a list first. Your iCloud data can be synced from your account, so that part is covered.

The key is to get a clean install and then create a backup from there. Then, create a backup on iTunes (not iCloud) and save that one. Test for a few days and if it's okay, you can create an iCloud backup again.

Please report your results after trying these. Especially if the problem is still not fixed.

Setting up your device as new means you are responsible for your backups. Please ask Apple support if you aren't comfortable.

-------

Survey:
The survey is still open but the spreadsheet is paused for now. If you are a beta tester, submit it to Apple's bug report as well. The more they see, the higher priority it gets.

1. Model, OS, and actions before the problem occurred.
2. Was the device started as
new, or restored from a backup?
3. Was it
restored through iTunes or restored through iCloud?
4. Has the device
logged any kernel panics?
5. Has the device displayed a heat warning prior to shutting down?

Kernel Panics:
Settings>Privacy>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data.
-There is no need to scroll through the list, as the only important logs will be at the top and they will start with a long string of numbers. (example here)

Sample Diagnostics:
1. iPhone 6S 64 GB Gold, iOS 9.01, idle state
2. Restored from backup
3. Restored through iCloud
4. None
5. None

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
So to avoid this problem we have to set up the iPhone 6s as a new phone and not restore it from a backup? Can anyone confirm this?

I want to ask if the previous iPhone 6 was jail broken and was backed up in iTunes, then all the cydia tweaks will also be transferred to the new iPhone when doing a restore? Just wondering if that is the problem.

bytewolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Happened to me 2 days ago for 1st time (got device on release day)

1. iPhone 6S 64 GB Silver, iOS 9.02, idle state
2. Restored from backup
3. Restored through iTunes
4. None
5. None

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Sorry to hear about this to those that it happens to, must be frustrating.

My 6S has been smooth and mostly bug free from iOS 9.0, 9.0.1 and now 9.0.2 - not once has my phone crashed or turned off by itself

I wonder if its just faulty RAM and needs an exchange from the Apple Store?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
Sorry to hear about this to those that it happens to, must be frustrating.

My 6S has been smooth and mostly bug free from iOS 9.0, 9.0.1 and now 9.0.2 - not once has my phone crashed or turned off by itself

I wonder if its just faulty RAM and needs an exchange from the Apple Store?

I think it is some incompatible software / app

NorCalZman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010

Please get in touch with the apple rep and make it clear they are wrong and need to keep investigating. As you can see there are plenty of people who restored their phones with ITUNES and not iCloud. And I read a few that set theirs up as new phones and no restores.

As for me personally, I experienced this for the first time tonight on my ATT 128gig 6S that was restored from an iTunes back up. Has 9.0.2 on it. It was sitting on my counter after just some regular general use. Not plugged in. No alarm set. Etc. I picked it up to use it again and the screen would not come on. The home button was very hot. A hard reset brought it back to life.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
My 6S is still on iOS 9.0 and I haven't encountered this problem yet. (Knock on wood) I have this issue on my MBA, however...lol.

allybrooke11

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Update #1: iOS 9.0.2 is released.
Update #2: Issue confirmed in isolated cases at Apple forums
Update #3: New survey questions (thanks notgreg)
Update #4: A possible fix has arrived.

View the latest data here.

Issue:
Many users have found out that their iPhone 6S, 6S+ (some 6) turns off by itself, even when left unattended. It is fixed by forcing a restart of holding the home and power button for 10 seconds. Had this issue? Read below.

Is this problem a priority bug fix for Apple?
I was told by an Apple rep that this error isn't well documented. Based on our survey, this is probably because it is not identifiable in diagnostics. There are not very many common links between any of our diagnostics reports.

What causes it?
I've been told that at least one of (many?) possible causes is likely corrupted iCloud backups. If you've restored your device from any previous backup through iCloud, and that backup is corrupted, it could result in this problem. There has been some acknowledgment that iCloud still has bugs.

How should I fix it?

1. Method 1: (for those who setup a device as new OR restored from backup)

Reset all your settings and test for a couple days for stability before attempting anything else. (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings>

2. Method 2: (for those who restored from backup)
If #1 fails, make sure all your iCloud data is saved then setup as a new iPhone (here). You'll need to re-download all your apps manually so create a list first. Your iCloud data can be synced from your account, so that part is covered.

The key is to get a clean install and then create a backup from there. Then, create a backup on iTunes (not iCloud) and save that one. Test for a few days and if it's okay, you can create an iCloud backup again.

Please report your results after trying these. Especially if the problem is still not fixed.

Setting up your device as new means you are responsible for your backups. Please ask Apple support if you aren't comfortable.

-------

Survey:
The survey is still open but the spreadsheet is paused for now. If you are a beta tester, submit it to Apple's bug report as well. The more they see, the higher priority it gets.

1. Model, OS, and actions before the problem occurred.
2. Was the device started as
new, or restored from a backup?
3. Was it
restored through iTunes or restored through iCloud?
4. Has the device
logged any kernel panics?
5. Has the device displayed a heat warning prior to shutting down?

Kernel Panics:
Settings>Privacy>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data.
-There is no need to scroll through the list, as the only important logs will be at the top and they will start with a long string of numbers. (example here)

Sample Diagnostics:
1. iPhone 6S 64 GB Gold, iOS 9.01, idle state
2. Restored from backup
3. Restored through iCloud
4. None
5. None

1. iPhone 6S 64 GB Silver, iOS 9.0, plugged in to charger
2. No
3. No? We set it up as a new iPhone in store. I have entered my iCloud info but did not restore from that.
4. Yes
5. Not sure. I was asleep and it wouldn't turn on when I woke up.

Lexical

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Happened to me once, on friday. Was driving to work, before i got in the car my phone was fine. When i got to work i went to check my phone and nothing. After trying to wake it up, home button started to get hot until i followed advice and held down the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds then fine.

- 6S+ 64Gb
- iOS 9.0.2
- Restored from iCloud backup

Haven't had any issues since, but do wish Apple would hurry up and release a fix.

Superlimonade

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Last night I put my iPhone away with low battery (10-20%), this morning it was turned off. First I assumed I was just out of battery, but as soon as I felt my hot homebutton I restarted (and had 7% battery left). It's noteworthy that my iPhone had been switched off for at least an hour and the homebutton was still hot.

1. iPhone 6S 64GB, iOS 9.1 beta 2, idle and low battery
2. restored from backup
3. restored through iTunes
4. none
5. none

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.