Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you encountered this issue yet?

• Yes

Votes: 695 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 533 43.4%

• Total voters

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I haven't had it happen again, although I do wonder if it did also happen early yesterday morning. So I've been running my 6s 128GB SG down on purpose before bed for the first few days to calibrate the battery. So my phone powers down and I plug the cord back in. The next morning the phone was off and either never turned back on or had a problem. So I missed my alarm and was a little late to work. I thought if the power cord is plugged in the phone turns back on? Does anyone know if the phone runs out of battery and you plug in the cord before it shuts down all the way, will it start back up? I wonder if it only starts back up if you plug in the cord after it's done shutting down. Maybe I was too fast because I was ready to go? I had the cord in hand and was waiting for the thing to die on me as I had been running 4K video on full screen brightness with the torch enabled.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I'd be curious to know which chip is in the phones of those that have had this issue.

If the distribution is even between people who didn't get the error and people who did after a large sample size, it may be worth checking.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I haven't had it happen again, although I do wonder if it did also happen early yesterday morning. So I've been running my 6s 128GB SG down on purpose before bed for the first few days to calibrate the battery. So my phone powers down and I plug the cord back in. The next morning the phone was off and either never turned back on or had a problem. So I missed my alarm and was a little late to work. I thought if the power cord is plugged in the phone turns back on? Does anyone know if the phone runs out of battery and you plug in the cord before it shuts down all the way, will it start back up? I wonder if it only starts back up if you plug in the cord after it's done shutting down. Maybe I was too fast because I was ready to go? I had the cord in hand and was waiting for the thing to die on me as I had been running 4K video on full screen brightness with the torch enabled.

I believe it does turn back on eventually when it has enough charge.

mar12

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015

It is supposed to turn on when plugged in no matter what I believe

mar12

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
This issue is more common than you probably think. Nothing to worry about. These phones are basically computers now. Sometimes they just need to be restarted. We see it a couple ones a day at the location I work at.

There's no way this is normal...the phone is turning off by itself while on standby and the user has no way of knowing

th3r3ds0x

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana

I got my phone monday. I set it up from my backup from my 6 Plus. I charged it to 100% and then proceeded to use it without charging it again until it died. I should power back up once you plug it in. Just like the older models the low battery indicator came on the screen when I plugged it in. Once it charges to 10% I believe it powers up. I charged it back up to 100%. I think they recommend you let it discharge once per month or so but otherwise you shouldn't let it drop to 0% on a regular basis.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I've had this issue a couple of times.. usually when power is getting low, but not crazy low. It just won't come back on at all. Plugging it in, still won't go on, doing the home and power button trick, still nothing. After about 20 minutes, it will come back to life and then says that battery is at 30% or more..makes me wonder WHY is it shutting off in the first place.

currently running 9.1b2

mar12

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
9.0.2 is out now. Maybe this will fix it? Although there was no mention in the release notes

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
9.0.2 is out now. Maybe this will fix it? Although there was no mention in the release notes
I was specifically looking for it in the release notes too! Although, it does say general 'bug fixes and improvements' indicating the list below is not exhaustive. Since I posted in this thread I haven't experienced the issue again, and hopefully now with 9.0.2 it won't happen at all!

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Exact same situation here. I didn't know it turned off until I checked it. I also haven't had this experience with an old iPhone 5, so it may be a software issue.
It happened to me a couple of days ago. I was trying to access the quick access bar (with the wifi and all) and it wouldn't show up. Tried swiping the pages of the home screen and it was unresponsive. Then screen went black and wouldn't turn on so had to do a power button/home button reboot. That was on IOS 9.0.1. Hopefully it won't happen again now that 9.0.2 is out.

shelb724

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Solon, Ohio
I have a 128 GB 6S and my phone turned off this morning while i was in the car driving and talking to my husband through the sync system in my car. I am taking it to the Apple store on Saturday for a Genius appointment because of another issue with my music. I do see that there is an update so i will be doing that when i get home, maybe that has something to do with this problem.

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
iOS 9.1 probably released mid-late October.

Then again, if it's a serious hardware problem, it might be a firmware problem, nothing to do with the operating system.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
This has happened to me twice, once while running iOS 9.1b2 and once on 9.1b3. I have a 6s 128Gb. Both times it has powered off whilst just sat on the desk idle.

drewboy891

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
New York, NY
Happens to me every night now while phone is charging. Also happens if the phone is left idle for too long. I have the 6S Plus 64GB with beta installed. It's also happening to a friend of mine, he has 6S 64GB with no beta installed.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Just happened to me again last night. I had done the same process as before, putting the phone into airplane mode at night turning the wifi back on, wake up and the phone was dead.. The two button reboot did the trick this time though, so that's good. But, I DID notice that the touchid button/home button was very warm, even though the phone had apparently not really been on. When I went to bed the phone had 68% power and once I got it working again (after nine hour overnight) it was down to 63%, which leads me to think that something isn't running furiously to take the phone down. I think there is probably some sort of overheating going on internally and the phone is going into a safety mode.?

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Exact same issue with my iphone 6s Plus, with public beta 9.1 beta 2, happened twice since 9/25/15. Didn't happen at all with my iPhone 6 Plus. Just installed beta 3, and will see if it happens again.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Just happened to me again last night. I had done the same process as before, putting the phone into airplane mode at night turning the wifi back on, wake up and the phone was dead.. The two button reboot did the trick this time though, so that's good. But, I DID notice that the touchid button/home button was very warm, even though the phone had apparently not really been on. When I went to bed the phone had 68% power and once I got it working again (after nine hour overnight) it was down to 63%, which leads me to think that something isn't running furiously to take the phone down. I think there is probably some sort of overheating going on internally and the phone is going into a safety mode.?

Two others posted hot home button issues. Which iOS version are you running?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Two others posted hot home button issues. Which iOS version are you running?

I'm running 91.b2, just upgraded this morning to b3.

I'm wondering though: Question.. are others putting the phone FACE DOWN? When I go to bed, I put the phone into airplane mode and turn on the wifi. Then, I put the phone face down. I'm wondering if with the new 'face down' sensor, could something be going on in the phone that the sensor is confusing? Or is the sensor in the touchid button?

Since this feature is using the motion detector M9 in this case, could it be that this sensor is being activated and is staying ON in this orientation and either increasing temp to the point that the phone overheats or gets overwhelmed and won't allow the screen to come on? the phone is essentially on but the screen isn't lighting up?

Last edited:

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
Update: Just had it happen to me again(the second time). Pulled the phone out of my pocket and it wouldn't turn on. Home button was hot and the home + lock reset worked.

This is ridiculous to be honest. I want to take it to apple but it seems this issue is not an isolated incident. Hoping it's just a matter of software update

If the home button is that hot, i
I'm running 91.b2, just upgraded this morning to b3.

I'm wondering though: Question.. are others putting the phone FACE DOWN? When I go to bed, I put the phone into airplane mode and turn on the wifi. Then, I put the phone face down. I'm wondering if with the new 'face down' sensor, could something be going on in the phone that the sensor is confusing? Or is the sensor in the touchid button?

I left mine facing up in wifi mode with no airplane mode and mine did one morning only. Since then I haven't had an issue. I'm running 9.02

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Anyone looked and see what the crash log is saying when it crashes? That could be helpful if all saying the same thing.

Reactions: macfacts

crazee928

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
this happened to me twice yesterday, once when i was using the phone, and once when it was sitting idle as i was sleeping. almost missed my alarm this morning had my gf not woken me up. thought the battery drained, but when i forced restarted it i had 20% battery left (and the alarm sounded right when it booted up, 5-10 minutes after the actual time it was set for).

running 6s 64gb 9.0.2. i don't think i saw this problem until after updating to 9.0.2... i'll have to find an alternative alarm until this is sorted out, so frustrating.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Happens to me every night now while phone is charging. Also happens if the phone is left idle for too long. I have the 6S Plus 64GB with beta installed. It's also happening to a friend of mine, he has 6S 64GB with no beta installed.

Same has happened twice to me(both after overnight charging), and once to my wife. Same phones/iOS mentioned

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.