Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I know this isn't a true solution, but I'm so happy I always use my phone with Reduce Motion on. :)

What's funny is I disabled Reduce Motion to use animations when iOS 10 was released on my 6s. The animations were so smooth and quick, I decided to use the stock animations.

Then I got a 7+.....

Reduce Motion back in the mix!

Reactions: Smoovejayy

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
can't believe 5 betas and still 7 plus with 3GB ram and fasted phone, is choppy as hell shutting apps and app switcher, I'm sick of talking about it but its driving me mad, why does dam apple not fix it, can't be that hard and no for the last time its not a feature it happens sometimes, this 7 plus is a joke wish I never got it, every beta I think will be fixed and nothing what the hell has changed apart from one dam feature portrait mode, I wish I could speak to Tim Cook and say what the F

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
can't believe 5 betas and still 7 plus with 3GB ram and fasted phone, is choppy as hell shutting apps and app switcher, I'm sick of talking about it but its driving me mad, why does dam apple not fix it, can't be that hard and no for the last time its not a feature it happens sometimes, this 7 plus is a joke wish I never got it, every beta I think will be fixed and nothing what the hell has changed apart from one dam feature portrait mode, I wish I could speak to Tim Cook and say what the F
It's a just few frames of animation- the rest of the phone works perfectly fine.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
Lol the animation is getting BETTER, it's not great. Where all the people saying it was a "feature" lol if it was a feature then why does it seem to vanish with each beta? :0 the koolaid is real with some of you.

xeio

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
When not fixed with 10.2 im gonna return my phone at apple. So they have time until christmas...

Reactions: Ds6778

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
How am I supposed to "get" this stutter?I closed an app in the app switcher and there wasn't any stutter whatsoever

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
How am I supposed to "get" this stutter?I closed an app in the app switcher and there wasn't any stutter whatsoever
It's when exiting an app and going to the home screen. There's some frames dropped and so it looks choppy instead of smooth (like the opening animation).

Reactions: atlchamp

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's when exiting an app and going to the home screen. There's some frames dropped and so it looks choppy instead of smooth (like the opening animation).

Yes, the closing animation should be the exact opposite of the opening animation, but it doesn't. It has this weird acceleration to it and the wallpaper zooming out lags a bit after the icons have finished flying in.

The animation should be one smooth motion and everything should stop animating at the same exact time, but it just doesn't do that.

Rechain

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
If just Reduced Motion didn't ruin the switcher feel and quickness, I would activate it again. Also, 3D Touch to invoke switcher gets weird animated with Reduced Motion. I'm annoyed about this, but love my iPhone 7 Plus..

Reactions: Ds6778

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Hard to say. Maybe a little smoother. Still some frames missing.
Most improvement overall: deactivate the 3-click-gestures. But this only affects the lag.

iPhones come with 3 click gestures disabled so this advice to disable them baffles me. Mine have always been off.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
If just Reduced Motion didn't ruin the switcher feel and quickness, I would activate it again. Also, 3D Touch to invoke switcher gets weird animated with Reduced Motion. I'm annoyed about this, but love my iPhone 7 Plus..

I know, I have the same issue. It's like this new home button in the 7 and 7 Plus has been poorly coded with iOS. Why on earth does turning off triple click make my 7 Plus run wonkers?

bartekw

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
It's not the button. Same **** happens when using software to close the app. It has been already covered in this thread. I used my friends 6 today. No lag there whatsoever :eek:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's not the button. Same **** happens when using software to close the app. It has been already covered in this thread. I used my friends 6 today. No lag there whatsoever :eek:

Strange thing is. Using the software button on any other iOS device uses the old animation still, not the new 7/7+ animation. I think it's a feature, but I think they need to fine-tune it a bit.

I bet we'll see a lot of improvements in 10.2.

Basically 10.1 is only about the new portrait feature.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Updated to 10.1 and it appears the app close animation has been improved but I wouldn't say it's been completely fixed but good enough for me to turn off reduce motion.

The app close animation looks slightly different now as it starts off slow then speeds up which I don't like. It should just be the same as the app opening animation. They've obviously looked into it but not sure why they didn't just completely fix it instead of this half assed attempt. Also scrolling through the multiasking app cards is still laggy.

Comparing the 7 app close animation to a 6s which is also on 10.1 the 6s is perfect with smoother scrolling through the multitasking app cards. :-(

Last edited:

soneunite

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
YOU NEED TO OFF UR TRIPLE HOME BUTTON CLICK! DAMN! Its because of that ip7/7+ have stutter animation..
Someone told in the youtube. And now my ip7 snappy again... Try it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.