Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than four months before Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, which may have a "Pro" moniker instead, purported new blueprints of the smartphones have been shared by uSwitch on behalf of noted leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer, who runs the Twitter account OnLeaks.

The drawings, purportedly sourced directly from Taiwan-based Apple casing subcontractor Catcher Technology, seemingly confirm that Apple plans to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack on both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Both smartphones will also retain protruding cameras, but without the metal ring around the lenses.

iPhone-7-CAD.jpg

Meanwhile, the drawings show that Apple plans to add a dual-lens camera system and Smart Connector exclusively to the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus, much to the chagrin of some customers that are hopeful Apple will not differentiate features beyond screen size. The 4.7-inch iPhone 7 will supposedly retain a single-lens camera.

iPhone-7-Plus-CAD.jpg

The report also corroborates rumors claiming Apple will reposition the rear antenna bands along the top and bottom of its next iPhones, but the drawings also stifle stereo speaker rumors with only a single speaker grille shown on both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Each smartphone retains a Lightning port and bottom microphone.

Both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus look similar to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s series, suggesting that Apple will retain the same overall smartphone design beyond minor tweaks for three consecutive years. The report confirms the new iPhones will have identical dimensions as the current 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

Recent rumors have been conflicting about which features Apple will reserve for the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, or OLED-based iPhone expected in 2017, but these drawings are mostly in line with expectations. The images were reportedly taken from Apple's January testing stage, however, so changes could arise.

Update: uSwitch and OnLeaks have teamed up to share a new 3D video that offers a closer look at the blueprints.

Article Link: New iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Drawings: Dual Camera and Smart Connector Exclusive to 5.5-Inch Model

Tim Chef

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2016
Could they call it the iPhone Pro? Do away with the numbers?

iPhone and iPhone Pro? Hmm... let's all ponder together. *holds everyones hands in a circle*

Reactions: BigHam

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Those lines make it look like it could be a different material back from the sides, maybe glass?

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
can't they get ride of that home botton already. thing is a eye sore
That's a trademark feature of the iPhone, which encompasses huge intangible capital. It will be unwise to remove it.

What I don't get is the position of the camera. It's so near the edge that users have to pay special attention so that his/her fingers would not cover it.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I think I'm going to skip a generation here. Honestly fine sticking to my 6+.
I really want to as well. I've been wanting 2 gb of ram and support for the 700mhz LTE band for so long but kept telling myself to wait for the 7. If these rumors are true ill be so bummed I didn't buy the 6S last year.

But they do have me in a good spot for them as I will probably buy the iPhone 7 and then upgrade again after one year when they finally get a new form factor.

If I never switched to TMobile I would probably put up with the 1GB of ram for another year, but without band 12, TMobile is useless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.