Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a sketchy rumor last week that said Apple is planning to introduce a "Deep Blue" color option for the upcoming iPhone 7, Japanese blog Mac Otakara has clarified to AppleInsider that the new color will actually be a "much darker" variant of space gray that is "close to black, though not quite black."

iPhone-5-vs-5s-space-gray.jpg
Black and slate iPhone 5 on left vs. space gray iPhone 5s (Mike Cronin via YouTube)
Monday's indications from Macotakara sources appear to be a clarification from earlier reports that suggested Apple would ditch space gray for a "deep blue" color option. Sources who claim to have seen the next-generation iPhone coloring apparently mistook the darker space gray for a blue shade.
The so-called "new, darker shade" could more closely resemble the look of the "space black" stainless steel Apple Watch, pictured below, which is darker than the "space gray" aluminum Apple Watch Sport. Meanwhile, Apple will reportedly continue to offer the iPhone 7 series in silver, gold, and rose gold color options.

Apple has used different shades of "space gray" and "black and slate" across its iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch lineups over the years. The iPhone 6s and iPad Pro, for example, each have a lighter shade of "space gray" compared to the iPhone 5s and original iPad Air respectively.

Space-Gray-Apple.jpg
Apple's vision of "space gray" has changed over the years (MrHarryT via Reddit)

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus/Pro in September. The 4.7" and 5.5" smartphones are rumored to feature a thinner iPhone 6s-like design, sans a 3.5mm headphone jack, while each may have a faster Apple A10 processor, improved waterproofing, repositioned antenna bands, and faster LTE and Wi-Fi. A dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM may be exclusive to the 5.5-inch model.

Article Link: Rumored 'Deep Blue' iPhone 7 Said to Actually Be Very Dark Space Gray

Reactions: Vanilla35

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Awesome. Makes much more sense than the blue.

The question is... will the MBP get color options? I'm thinking yes (should be an improvement in every way to the MB, including color choice; iPad Pros have color options; doesn't make sense to not adopt the design language of the other mobile devices).

producerlawson

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
York/Birmingham
Oh praise the lordy lord.

I got the 5 in white because I liked the 4s in white.. hated it.
I got the 5s in space grey after really liking the design in the black colour, however Apple made it lighter.. hated it.
Got the 6 in space grey hoping for the design to change my mind, meh.. hated it.
Got the 6s in rose gold, LOVED IT.

Now bring back the og space grey/slate, Apple.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014

I got the 5s in space grey after really liking the design in SG, however Apple made it lighter.. hated it.
Got the 6 in space grey hoping for the design to change my mind, meh.. hated it.

Now bring back the og space grey, Apple.
iPhone 4S and 4 in white were some of the most gorgeous iPhones Apple ever made in my opinion

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I got the 5s in space grey after really liking the design in the black colour, however Apple made it lighter.. hated it.

Now bring back the og space grey/slate, Apple.

My biggest takeaway from this was that you seem to buy every generation of iPhone, regardless of whether you actually like the colors it's available in. I don't think Apple needs to cater to your tastes given it seems to be guaranteed that you'll buy this years model whether you actually like the way it looks or not. You have bought 3 iPhones that you hated the colors of over the last 4 years.

Last edited:

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
I hope they introduce this dark grey option, but not replace it with the space grey, just give more options to the users. Especially that there is only one black (glass) iPhone available right now (compared to 3 with white glass)
we deserve a second black option!

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Exactly, I feel like I was always one step behind in choosing the right colour.. Apple either changed the colour or design before I could upgrade to my preferred choice though.
I had the iPhone 4s in White, 5s in White (was not nearly as beautiful as the 4S was) and now a 6S in black (Which looks great). This is my first Black phone.. don't miss the white on this model in the slightest.

Reactions: Kfc179

producerlawson

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
York/Birmingham
My biggest takeaway from this was that you seem to buy every generation of iPhone, regardless of whether you actually like the colors its available in. I don't think Apple needs to cater to your tastes given it seems to be guaranteed that you'll buy this years model whether you actually like the way it looks or not. You have bought 3 iPhones that you hated the colors of over the last 4 years.

Maybe hate was a little too strong, I put up with it and enjoyed the phone. I actually only kept the upgrade cycle going purely because my networks plan allowed me to.. Admittedly I had to upgrade to a 20gb data plan to catch up (which I heavily use) but the phone came pretty much guaranteed each year, with no handset fee.

I must say however that my previous upgrade cycle was the iPhone 2G, 3G, & 4 just before the 4S came out.

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012

Following a sketchy rumor last week that said Apple is planning to introduce a "Deep Blue" color option for the upcoming iPhone 7, Japanese blog Mac Otakara has clarified to AppleInsider that the new color will actually be a "much darker" variant of space gray that is "close to black, though not quite black."

iPhone-5-vs-5s-space-gray.jpg

Black and slate iPhone 5 on left vs. space gray iPhone 5s (Mike Cronin via YouTube)
The so-called "new, darker shade" could more closely resemble the look of the "space black" stainless steel Apple Watch, pictured below, which is darker than the "space gray" aluminum Apple Watch Sport. Meanwhile, Apple will reportedly continue to offer the iPhone 7 series in silver, gold, and rose gold color options.

Apple has used different shades of "space gray" and "black and slate" across its iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch lineups over the years. The iPhone 6s and iPad Pro, for example, each have a lighter shade of "space gray" compared to the iPhone 5s and original iPad Air respectively.

Space-Gray-Apple.jpg

Apple's vision of "space gray" has changed over the years (MrHarryT via Reddit)

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus/Pro in September. The 4.7" and 5.5" smartphones are rumored to feature a thinner iPhone 6s-like design, sans a 3.5mm headphone jack, while each may have a faster Apple A10 processor, improved waterproofing, repositioned antenna bands, and faster LTE and Wi-Fi. A dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM may be exclusive to the 5.5-inch model.

Article Link: Rumored 'Deep Blue' iPhone 7 Said to Actually Be Very Dark Space Gray

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
I didn't plan on buying an iPhone 7, but if they bring slate back I honestly might. My slate 5 looked awesome besides all the scratching issues. Never liked space gray.

Reactions: orbital~debris

producerlawson

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
York/Birmingham
My Apple Watch space gray is certainly not the same color as my iPhone 6 space gray. With Apple's attention to detail, you would think all space gray would be the same.

SG is available on the matte Sports model right? That would be their response, just like the matte rose gold is super pink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.