Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors suggesting Apple is set to ditch the headphone jack in the iPhone 7, an image depicting a spare part that could be used in the device has surfaced - headphone jack included.

This morning, French site Nowhereelse.fr shared an image of a Lightning cable assembly, apparently destined for the iPhone 7, which differs in design from the same part found in the current iPhone 6s.

The assembly part is host to a number of components, including cellular antenna cables and the obligatory Lightning port, but the new design clearly shows a separate white headphone jack on the far left-hand side.

Jack-iPhone7-vs-iPhone6s-HighLights.jpg
Left: purported iPhone 7 part (Image: Weibo); Right: iPhone 6s part (Image: iFixit)

The image was submitted anonymously via a Weibo account, therefore its validity cannot be confirmed. As Nowhereelse.fr notes, it could just as easily depict a part destined for a Chinese counterfeit manufacturer, rather than coming from Apple's official supply chain. Nevertheless, the part should provide some relief for those hoping that Apple's next generation of iPhone does not adopt a one-size-fits-all Lightning solution, which would also make it the sole means of connecting headphones and other audio accessories.

Recent rumors have suggested Apple's upcoming iPhone 7 will feature a thinner body with no headphone jack, with Apple instead planning to rely on the Lightning port and Bluetooth as ways to connect headphones to the device. Apple is also rumored to be working on Lightning-equipped EarPods to sell alongside the iPhone 7, while a more contentious rumor claims Apple may be planning to replace the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 with a second speaker for stereo audio.

Indeed, it remains to be seen if a Lightning-based audio solution would be restricted to Apple's larger iPhone 7 Plus handset, which could mean the leaked image is genuine without necessarily vouchsafing the inclusion of a headphone jack across Apple's upcoming line-up of iPhone devices.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 Headphone Jack Depicted in New Image

samholmes

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
I mean yeah, that make sense.

The 3.5mm audio jack is still the most widely used audio interface in the world. And while Apple is all for setting (or adopting) new standards *cough* USB-C *cough* this would most likely just alienate too many people.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Given the current drop in sales, ditching the headphone jack would be a risky move. Especially if the rumours are true and the 6 design remains .
They are going to have to bite the bullet eventually. Might as well get it over and done with.

Reactions: ABC5S

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I might be in the minority here, but we've been using this analog technology for decades now and I honestly wouldn't mind the push forward in technology, even if the 3.5mm standard is so widespread. Apple seems like the only behemoth that could pull this off. People went crazy when they ditched CDs/ DVDs, but where are they now?

And I'd really like a pair of wireless AirPods.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
But there is no way around going analog.
At some point before the speaker there must be a DAC to convert digital to analog. Today we are using the internal DAC, because it has to be there anyway, otherwise the internal speakers wouldn't make any sound.

The only realistic option would be USB-C, which is able to transmit digital and analog audio.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Removing it for sake of thinness was never a legit reason, considering the Nanos are as thin as the headphone jack...

And the iPod Touch is supper thin as well. Both of those use the headphone jack and they are as thin as you could want your smartphone to be.

Apple should release lightning ear buds with the seven to get people using those. Then kill the jack with the new form factor. We can just plug in a dongle to use our legacy headphones.

Now if the iPhone used USB - C, I could be buying USB - C headphones knowing they would work with my iPhone and future computers.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This new iPhone will be interesting. I am not hearing anything that I'll be excited about. I may end up keeping my 6S until the 7S comes out next year. We shall see.

Reactions: ABC5S

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I mean yeah, that make sense.

The 3.5mm audio jack is still the most widely used audio interface in the world. And while Apple is all for setting (or adopting) new standards *cough* USB-C *cough* this would most likely just alienate too many people.

This! While I personally haven't used the headphone jack in months I bet tons of people do. People just get into a habit and they see no reason to change. I feel the same way with the IR port when Samsung removed it from the S7. I guess Samsung was like not too many people use it so we got rid of it. Well I was one of those people that loved the IR blaster. I just bought a $900 1080p projector last Friday and it still uses IR. So add another remote to the list.
I don't see any harm in keeping headphone jacks or IR blasters on phones. They cost pennies to implement and I don't feel that we need thinner phones. As funny as this sounds it would be a instant buy if Apple puts an IR blaster in a iPhone. We may see the same thing happen in a few years once the headphone jack is gone.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Headphone jack or not, doesn't really bother me.. well actually it does if apple goeas ahead with it and doesn't include the adapter with the phone, however if they do remove it to replace with stereo speakers - that to me is pointless. I cant imagine many people use their iPhones as loud speakers.

Reactions: AleXXXa

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Indeed, it remains to be seen if a Lightning-based audio solution would be restricted to Apple's larger iPhone 7 Plus handset, which could mean the leaked image is genuine without necessarily vouchsafing the inclusion of a headphone jack across Apple's upcoming line-up of iPhone devices.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 Headphone Jack Depicted in New Image
Why even bother calling it the 7+? At some point it's going to have so many features not found in the 7 that outside of both running iOS and having a physical home button, they won't be in the same family.

Reactions: mbc2237

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
People went crazy when they ditched CDs/ DVDs, but where are they now?
In Japan, most publishers choose CD as their content releasing media. I can easily find almost any music on Amazon Japan but not iTunes Store.
And in Australia, there are still many stores (Target, especially) selling DVD movie and BD movie. Wait, there are CD recordings as well. Just a few bucks more expensive than iTunes price. But the sound quality is not comparable.
There are still many places need CD/DVD/BD.

But there is no way around going analog.
At some point before the speaker there must be a DAC to convert digital to analog. Today we are using the internal DAC, because it has to be there anyway, otherwise the internal speakers wouldn't make any sound.
The only realistic option would be USB-C, which is able to transmit digital and analog audio.
Yeah. DAC WILL be required no matter what. Apple ditch headphone jack to provide stereo speaker is not the only choice. See how HTC does to provide stereo speaker AND headphone jack. Apple engineers should consider rearranging components or so to see if there is other alternative.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Personally I hope it stays. Removing the 3.5mm jack for the sake of making the iPhone thinner doesn’t make sense.

Bluetooth isn’t as resilient as wired and though its been mentioned that they may be an improvement in audio quality by using lightning, how many people would actually tell, especially if they were using the supplied EarPods. I think the answer will be, the vast majority wouldn’t be able to tell or be even bothered.

With a good pair of earphones, headphones, the audio quality is very good indeed through 3.5 mm jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.