Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Well-known mobile phone leaker Evan Blass has this morning predicted which week of September that Apple will announce the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

iphone-800x289.png

Blass, who has accurately leaked images and details about unreleased smartphones on Twitter (@evleaks) in the past, tweeted today simply "iPhone 2016 release: week of September 12th."

Blass is better known for leaking Android-based smartphone details ahead of their official confirmation, but his prediction for the iPhone 7's launch falls in line with Apple's typical September iPhone announcements - the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus launched on September 9th, 2015 - making it a pretty safe bet.

iPhone 2016 release: week of September 12th. - Evan Blass (@evleaks) July 23, 2016

Blass's prediction follows a tweet by the blogger four days earlier in which he claimed the internal codenames for Apple's upcoming iPhones are "Sonora" and "Dos Palos", without specifying which is which (both are names of cities in California, though the former could refer to the Mexican state). Apple's codenames for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus were "N71" and "N66", respectively.

This year's iterations of Apple's flagship smartphones are widely expected not to feature major design changes aside from the removal of the headphone jack, as the company is said to be deviating from its standard tick-tock upgrade cycle in order to introduce major new features in next year's 10th anniversary "iPhone 8" which take time to develop.

This year the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 is expected to get an improved camera and optical image stabilization, while the larger 5.5-inch model is thought to be gaining a dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM.

Other rumored features of this year's iPhones include a faster TSMC-made Apple A10 processor, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi, a slightly larger battery, and a minimum 32GB of base storage. A larger 256GB model may also be available.

Update: Blass has since posted a follow-up tweet which notes that he was referring to the iPhone 7's retail release, and offered the more specific date of Friday, September 16.

Just to clarify, this refers to the retail release, not the launch event. To be even more specific, it should happen on Friday, Sept. 16th. - Evan Blass (@evleaks) July 23, 2016

Article Link: iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Launch Predicted to Be Week of September 12th [Updated]

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm sure they will update most of the line that makes $$$$ in time for xmas. Kinda sucks everything now gets released at the end of the year, well here is hoping they actually update the computer products this year.....

DefenseEngineer

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2004

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I still, to this day, believe Apple leak out information at launch day approaches to kill any unrealistic expectations about a product.
I've seen it happen many times now over the years, and it's just all too much to be a coincidence.

Honestly I also do fully understand why it would make good business sense to officially leak things.

Think about it for a moment. If you are going to get up on stage, in front of the worlds press, and show off your latest and greatest product. The very last thing you are a company, or person on stage would ever want is for everyone in the room to be disappointed, as one or two unrealistic expectations become so strong that, almost everyone there was expecting "A" and you could only deliver "B"

Sure, silly things, like colours not showing up, or perhaps RAM not being increased would not be a worry, but anything major that's all in the media about it's coming NOW, you would not wish to disappoint on.

So, the most obvious thing is, and this is what happens almost every year.
There ARE some great expectations about a product, and they grow and change over the year, a few BIG ones stick, and stay there till we start getting close to launch day.

Then just a few weeks away, some rumour sites/posts start to kill things off, and we end up pretty much expecting what ends up being shown.

As I say, it makes sense. If anything you want to show MORE than is being expected.
It will interesting to watch over the next few weeks if any of the current expectations mysteriously get killed off prior to launch day.

What do we have so far?

Colours Blue/Black (not that important to worry about killing rumours)
RAM starting at 32GB ? 32/64/128 ?
Dual Camera's (been talked about for almost the whole years now)
Headphone Jack vanishing, everyone is expecting it.
A speaker on the top for stereo in landscape?
Antenna Bands?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I wish I could like this comment a thousand times over. Because of thier lack of interest in keeping up to date computer hardware, I was just forced to buy a used one...
http://n3qeh.com/new-shack-computer/

Ha ha so true. I bought a 2012 as well, and have since updated and added a egpu box, beats anything apple offers. At this point only the iPad range interest me....but the iPad pros are so expansive... Wow well, let's see what iPhone 8 brings

Reactions: DefenseEngineer

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The fact that Apple appear to be once again abandoning the 4" size and losing the headphone jack leads me to think that this iPhone will see the same downward trend in sales that we saw with the iPhone 6s.

Wish it were not so.

The SE came out later than the 6S though, it was always very unlikely they would launch another 4" iPhone already. If we don't see another smaller iPhone in another year, then it's maybe more of a worry, but the SE might be it until a small version of the iPhone 8. It's hard to predict when the SE is such a one-off in terms of time of release in the context of the other phones.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Question people is the 12 when Apple will release it at there event but when is a possible preorder day and what time I hope to get before or on sept 22 that's why my birthday is

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The fact that Apple appear to be once again abandoning the 4" size and losing the headphone jack leads me to think that this iPhone will see the same downward trend in sales that we saw with the iPhone 6s.

Wish it were not so.
The SE was really hard to get until a couple of months ago. I got mine in mid May and my husband had to use his business account and contacts to secure it for me. So I am thinking it's a bit early to replace this particular representative of that 4" size category. Maybe in 2017 Apple will deign to permit a 4" flagship model instead of forever consigning it to the beginners and budget category. Sigh.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
if following previous pattern, event would be on the 13th, preorders on the 16th, release on the 23rd.
I got those same days stuck in my head since the beginning of the year lol! So much in fact that I even set a countdown of those days. So based on those days we have 52 days left for the unveiling, 54 days left for the night of us hitting the refresh button on our computers to preorder, and 61 days left for us to get our shiny new toys lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.