Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPhone 7 is rumored to feature a thinner body with no headphone jack, with Apple instead planning to rely on the Lightning port and Bluetooth as ways to connect headphones to the device.

It was not clear if Apple would continue to ship EarPods along with the iPhone 7, and whether those EarPods would use Lightning or Bluetooth, but a new report from 9to5Mac suggests Apple will indeed ship Lightning-connected EarPods with the iPhone 7. Apple is also working on a new set of wireless Bluetooth earphones that would be sold alongside the iPhone 7 as a premium accessory and alternative to the Lightning-connected EarPods.

While traditional Bluetooth headphones, including Apple's own PowerBeats, have a wire that connects the left and right ear pieces to each other, Apple is said to be designing earphones that do not include a connective cord. These earphones would be similar in design to the Bragi Dash, an upcoming set of earphones that features individual ear pieces for each ear. Charging would be done through a battery case.

bragidash-800x488.jpg
The latest version of the new wireless Apple/Beats headphones in development do not include any ports for charging, in contrast to the mini-USB port on the current wireless Beats. Instead, the new headphones are likely to come with a carrying case that doubles as a rechargeable battery to juice up the headphones when they are not in use.
A recent rumor suggested Apple would use new audio technology in the iPhone 7 to improve noise-cancelation techniques for better sounding music and phone calls, and this appears to be technology that may also extend to Apple's prospective wireless earphones.

In October, trademark filings for an audio accessory by the name of "AirPods" were linked to Apple, so it's possible Apple's rumored wireless earphones will eventually be named "AirPods" and sold alongside the existing EarPods.

According to 9to5Mac, while the earphones are currently under development in preparation for a fall launch, there's a possibility the technology could be delayed due to battery life concerns. The earphones are said to have a battery life under four hours.

Today's report also suggests Apple is finalizing the design for the iPhone 7, testing three designs that range from a thinner model to a device that looks much like the iPhone 6s.

Article Link: iPhone 7 May Ship With Lightning-Connected EarPods, New Wireless Earphones Also Under Development

Reactions: HansumKingtut

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Yep, am already sold! Bring on the change! :D

http://www.earin.com was thinking of saving up to buy one of these, but am absolutely certain that AirPods will be miles better coming from Apple themselves, sad for earin though.

-
iPhone 7, AirPods and probably Wireless Charging Pad*
I think this year I'll be spending a bit more than usual on Apple products with the accessories.

Last edited:

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I'm tired of Apple getting rid of the things I know and love. First it was then command line interface. Then floppy drives. Then DVD drives. Now 3.5mm connectors. I'm going to protest and start listening to music on cassettes (TDK and Maxell, baby!), 8-tracks, and reel-to-reel only. Using 1/4-inch headphone jacks!!! ;)

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I'm tired of Apple getting rid of the things I know and love. First it was then command line interface. Then floppy drives. Then DVD drives. Now 3.5mm connectors. I'm going to protest and start listening to music on cassettes (TDK and Maxell, baby!), 8-tracks, and reel-to-reel only. Using 1/4-inch headphone jacks!!! ;)

Isn’t it amazing how much people are bitching about retiring quite literally 100 year old technology. I mean take a look at photographs from the early 1900s showing people wearing headsets with braided cords plugged into their radio sets. Only back then it was 1/4” jacks instead of 3.5mm jacks. Analog baby!

“If Henry Ford had asked customers what they wanted before starting his assembly line they would have said, “A better buggy whip.”” attributed to Steve Jobs

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
A wireless only iPhone would render the phone useless on a plane...

Can't listen to the audio...

Hopefully any wireless headset would be better than Apple's first attempt at a bluetooth device - which also had poor battery life.

Apple forget that a consumer device can be a few mm larger to accommodate a bigger battery to ensure good battery life...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.