Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I have the Powerbeats 2. They're fantastic, good sound, long battery life and perfect at the gym. I don't know about old Beats products, but the Powebeats 2 are far from junk.

I thought the Powerbeats 2 were pretty good.... Until I tried the Jaybird X2's wow so much better in a smaller package and with longer battery life to boot. I sold my Powerbeats so fast and got a pair of Jaybirds, couldn't be happier

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Right now the DAC in the iPhone is a generic one that accommodates whatever is plugged into it. But who better to chose the DAC for their hardware than the headphone/speaker makers?

If you were right, Meridian Audio would be more than a boutique brand.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Polls like the one that Macrumors ran on this "question" are ridiculous. First, we don't know. We've seen the white complimentary ear buds, all kinds of other bluetooth and wired headphones, and there's one (1) set of headphones that uses this. The lightning port can take digital audio, hd sound, a custom coder/decoder, and it would be, as you might concede, something new and as yet unseen, so... There would likely be an adapter for legacy headphones. This kind of useless, biased towards the status quo surveys -- we all know what the current setup is, we haven't seen the iPhone 7 at all, so of course people react with fear of the unknown -- are the antithesis of Apple since the beginning, and certainly since Jobs' return. Remember all the moaning and groaning about the Lightning connector? And... how many people mourn the old huge, ugly dongle now?

Once you've got people accustomed to one way of doing things-- the ubiquitous audio connection, for instance -- and you hear a rumor that Apple might change it, we get a) an avalanche of negativity and b) since you now have people afraid of the unknown, you can say all the usual hate things about apple: they just want to sell adapters, it's all just to get it thinner, etc. But the usual way this thing goes is, if they do this, and you see they've used the extra space inside the case for new battery, or a better chip, and you get HD sound and a better DAC, and people will calm down. The Internet rumor mills are so broken.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Polls like the one that Macrumors ran on this "question" are ridiculous. First, we don't know. We've seen the white complimentary ear buds, all kinds of other bluetooth and wired headphones, and there's one (1) set of headphones that uses this. The lightning port can take digital audio, hd sound, a custom coder/decoder, and it would be, as you might concede, something new and as yet unseen, so... There would likely be an adapter for legacy headphones. This kind of useless, biased towards the status quo surveys -- we all know what the current setup is, we haven't seen the iPhone 7 at all, so of course people react with fear of the unknown -- are the antithesis of Apple since the beginning, and certainly since Jobs' return. Remember all the moaning and groaning about the Lightning connector? And... how many people mourn the old huge, ugly dongle now?

Once you've got people accustomed to one way of doing things-- the ubiquitous audio connection, for instance -- and you hear a rumor that Apple might change it, we get a) an avalanche of negativity and b) since you now have people afraid of the unknown, you can say all the usual hate things about apple: they just want to sell adapters, it's all just to get it thinner, etc. But the usual way this thing goes is, if they do this, and you see they've used the extra space inside the case for new battery, or a better chip, and you get HD sound and a better DAC, and people will calm down. The Internet rumor mills are so broken.

Nope...we know the unknown. We know we will either have to buy headphones which can't be used with other non-Apple devices (like the Philips Fidelio), and\or we will forced to use Bluetooth headphones, and\or we will have to use an adapter with normal headphones. Lose the adapter and you are out of luck. Forget the adapter at home and you are out of luck.

All the guys who suddenly hate wires (where were you a couple of months ago with opinions about wires...where are all those threads asking for Apple to remove the 3.5 jack???) are not being forced to change their listening methods. All of a sudden these people are experts on everything involving audio and the future of cell phone technology. Give me a break.

People should really use their brains and stop defending their favorite company out of pure instinct.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
And now presenting:

"Your Only Option"

frayed-lightning-cable.png

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Like so many others here, you don't seem to understand that it is weight, not thinness, that Apple is driving down.

Do you really want a phone that weighs substantially more in order to have a two day battery? I don't, nor do I suspect most other people. For those that really need a two day battery there a plenty of third party cases that will provide that.

I don't believe this is the case. If it were, then at the press events they'd be talking about how much lighter it is not how much thinner it is. But that's just my thoughts on it. And also, no I don't want a paper thin and paper light device. I like devices that look and feel substantial

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Our only options for what? Charging? That's our only option now. Unless the rumor about inductive charging is coming, then no it's not.

Or do you mean headphones? Well, no, there's wireless too. So two options.

But frankly, the damage shown in picture you posted has happened to more 3.5mm audio cables than any Lightning connector I've ever owned. So personally with all these options ... I'm not worried.

And now presenting:

"Your Only Option"

frayed-lightning-cable.png

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Hmm. Now that I think about, I have a pair of headphones that doesn't really sound quite as authoritative, quite as dynamic, quite as loud when driven by an ipad as they do when driven by my imac, or my headphone amplifier. And if I had to use a bluetooth or lightning attached dac that actually delivered enough power, I'd think I'd prefer that to a "lossless" but anemic headphone jack.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Our only options for what? Charging? That's our only option now. Unless the rumor about inductive charging is coming, then no it's not.

Or do you mean headphones? Well, no, there's wireless too. So two options.

But frankly, the damage shown in picture you posted has happened to more 3.5mm audio cables than any Lightning connector I've ever owned. So personally with all these options ... I'm not worried.
How do you think those wireless EarPods will get charged?

AirLinc

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Two beefs I have with this:

1. The camera is the thickest part, and is already too big for the phone. Removing the 3.5 mm jack for thinness would mean the camera protrudes more, or they use a smaller camera. Certainly neither are appealing to me.

2. The 3.5 mm jack is surely the most ubiquitous audio cable connector, and I'm unaware of any standard coming in to replace it (unless USB-C is going to?). This means you'll likely need to add a lightning-to-3.5mm jack to your collection of proprietary Apple connectors - yay!

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Do you realize that you can't use your phone while it's "wirelessly charging"? It has to be laying or docked on a base thats plugged into a wall anyway. As soon as you pick it up, it stops charging. Not a feature that helps in any way at all. Plugging my phone in and using it as needed is a much better option.
Apparently you don't realize that you can still use a wired charger. Problem solved.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Ive must have nightmares at night......

Must make iPhone thinner must make iPhone thinner must make iPhone thinner..

They are waaayyy too obsessed with thinness for no reason or gain.

Their is no real reason what so ever to remove the headphone port apart from for Apple to make even more profit, people should really realise this, a set standard used for years and years and Apple want to change it when no one has been asking for it to be changed. In fact I remember devices that ditched the traditional headphone jack and provided adapters and they never did too well.
Sony also manage VERY VERY well to make their devices fully watertight with both fully exposed USB AND headphone ports so that is no reason either.

Is it really that hard for Apple to listen to it's customers and actually give MORE battery life? Not the same or less battery life just to accommodate a thinner phone?
Exactly. Saying they have to remove the 3.5mm jack for waterproofing is utter BS, Sony and Samsung proved it with Xperia Z3 and Galaxy S5 in 2014.

C'mon Apple.

Reactions: GlenK and apolloa

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
People with wired headphones look like dinosaurs once you start using Bluetooth headsets.

Beats will release lightning-charging Bluetooth headphones, just plug into the iPhone for some minutes to have enough juice for the workout just in case you forgot to recharge at home.

If this is the case, they BETTER include a larger battery. At this point you're draining the battery even faster. Ridiculous

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

judygolden1975

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Thinner????!! This reminds me the iPhone got bent video before. I would definitely buy a phone case if I buy the new phone. I just got a phone case for my iPhone 6s from a reviewer program for less than 20 cents. This program is called vipu reviewer program. It would be good if they have iPhone 7 case for reviewing

Last edited:

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
"It is not clear if that means the iPhone 7 will come with no EarPods or if Apple will ship standard EarPods with some kind of adapter."

If Apple sells the iPhone without any kind of earpods, that would make it illegal in Europe. Manufacturers must package all their phone with some kind of earphones - either wired or bluetooth.
But overall, that seems like a huge design flaw. Using the lighting port is a bad idea, because this means you can't charge the phone and listen to music at the same time. Unless you also have contactless charging. But this means anyway that people who spend hundreds on quality earbuds will have to buy a new lightning model - a model that will cost hundreds and be incompatible with most computers or other phones. Moreover, the choice will be limited, I'm not sure high quality manufacturer will follow Apple and we might be stuck with the awfull Dr. Dre stuff...
And Bluetooth only is also a bad idea. Apple doesn't even support AptX yet, and I doubt they will on the iPhone 7. So you can only have low quality over-compressed sound on bluetooth.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Exactly. Saying they have to remove the 3.5mm jack for waterproofing is utter BS, Sony and Samsung proved it with Xperia Z3 and Galaxy S5 in 2014.

C'mon Apple.

I know, I am laughing at every comment on this site where someone 'claims' Apple has to remove the ports to make it waterproof, or how removing ports makes it more waterproof??? hahaha.. Sony have been successfully making waterproof gadgets since the Walkman day's, and the latest Xperia handsets with a waterproof and dust tight rating of IP65 and IP68 with open ports says how wrong they are. But I guess it doesn't exist until Apple makes it?

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
"It is not clear if that means the iPhone 7 will come with no EarPods or if Apple will ship standard EarPods with some kind of adapter."

If Apple sells the iPhone without any kind of earpods, that would make it illegal in Europe. Manufacturers must package all their phone with some kind of earphones - either wired or bluetooth.
But overall, that seems like a huge design flaw. Using the lighting port is a bad idea, because this means you can't charge the phone and listen to music at the same time. Unless you also have contactless charging. But this means anyway that people who spend hundreds on quality earbuds will have to buy a new lightning model - a model that will cost hundreds and be incompatible with most computers or other phones. Moreover, the choice will be limited, I'm not sure high quality manufacturer will follow Apple and we might be stuck with the awfull Dr. Dre stuff...
And Bluetooth only is also a bad idea. Apple doesn't even support AptX yet, and I doubt they will on the iPhone 7. So you can only have low quality over-compressed sound on bluetooth.

No offense, but did you think about this before you posted it? If it is illegal in Europe to see a phone without earphones, then they surely will. And it's likely to be a set of Lightning earbuds, not wireless.

Also, there have been pass through solutions for USB products for years, and Apple has already introduced adapters that allow this. The headphone adapter would look like this:

lightning_r.jpg

As for Bluetooth, well wireless is the future standard for audio. Nobody likes being tethered to equipment to listen to music, or for any reason for that matter. I would expect Apple is working on improving bluetooth with others now, if this is the plan. And as far as variety -- necessity is the mother of invention -- having millions of customers suddenly in need of Lightning or wireless headphones will increase competition, improve quality, and drive the cost down. In a few years, people will be wondering what took them so long to make the switch.

For those who absolutely have to have the best quality in the world as soon as the phones come out, and have a substantial investment in legacy audio gear, there will be a simple inexpensive adapter offered, that will essentially add 2-3 inches to the end of their existing cords. Nobody will have to replace anything unless they want to.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Two beefs I have with this:

1. The camera is the thickest part, and is already too big for the phone. Removing the 3.5 mm jack for thinness would mean the camera protrudes more, or they use a smaller camera. Certainly neither are appealing to me.

2. The 3.5 mm jack is surely the most ubiquitous audio cable connector, and I'm unaware of any standard coming in to replace it (unless USB-C is going to?). This means you'll likely need to add a lightning-to-3.5mm jack to your collection of proprietary Apple connectors - yay!

Yep I plug the adapter into my headphones and for get about it. Unless you plan on unplugging it for some reason.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I don't understand people's obsession with wireless charging. It's not like it's charging while you are carrying it around. You have to lay it on a charging surface which ist still connected via cable. And in contrast to charging via cable directly, you can hardly use it while it's lying there. So what do you gain?

Reactions: Tsepz

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Am I a dinosaur for charging my iPhone, while using it, while listening to headphones almost every night?

..maybe an old mule from the sound of the belly aching
[doublepost=1452311422][/doublepost]
Headphones through the jack are how I roll: I use them on phone calls, watching movies and listening to music while commuting. Not a fan of clunky big headphones either.

I am happy with my 6s... so no 7 for me.
Lol, yeah and Save a spot in line for me.
[doublepost=1452311612][/doublepost]
Why waterproof sooo important ?
are you one of these ppl that forgetting your phone in your pocket before you going for a swim? or when you drooping it in the street, it always falling into a puddle ? coz few rain drops won’t kill your phone…
By taking the 3.5mm jack away, it wont make the iPhone 100% waterproof, for this its need to be 100% sealed box… if they’ll take itaway, its for other reasons.

From all the rumors, wireless charging will be the most interested one. for these how says its useless, i disagree - indeed you can’t use it while you charge it wirelessly, but anyway I’m not using while it lies on the table, so why not to charge it while its there? anyways its not that they will cancel the lighting charging option if you want to charge your phone while you doing other things.
Waterproofing is important because if it gets wet you ruin a $500 gadget. Whereas you can get headphones for $10 dollars.

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I would take same thickness as current, but with a little more battery volume and waterproof all day long.

In another thread, the audiophiles were griping about losing the jack. If I want to go for pure audiophile sound, I am going to do it in my quiet house with true audiophile gear.
Its not only audiophiles.
Some people use their devices as audio devices, this means you need extra adapters everytime you need to connect to a mixer or something like that.
Digital Wireless anything is great, but its still way too laggy for serious work

Reactions: dented42ford
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.