Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
24bit audio? This would be the only reason for them to do it & for me to want it . . .​

Same.
[doublepost=1452288347][/doublepost]
I'm tired of Apple getting rid of the things I know and love. First it was then command line interface. Then floppy drives. Then DVD drives. Now 3.5mm connectors. I'm going to protest and start listening to music on cassettes (TDK and Maxell, baby!), 8-tracks, and reel-to-reel only. Using 1/4-inch headphone jacks!!! ;)

And movies on a betamax lol

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
My first thought was 'this would render the selfie-stick market dead overnight for new iPhones"

But seriously, this really isn't good. I love my iPhone and I couldn't think of anything they could do to make me not get the iPhone 7 except this.

I have a cheapish pair of in-ear £30 earphones that I keep scrunched up in my pocket ready for when I need to listen to music on the go. You just can't do that with bluetooth headphones - the same applies for the millions of people who still use Apples terrible white bundled earphones.

All this for the sake of thinness?

Would love to say I'd switch to Android because of this, but lets be honest, thats not going to happen, may just end up getting the new 4inch iPhone they release.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And these new headphones would be analog as well, they just move the converter to a different spot. It's pretty amazing how little people understand basic audio technology.

Yes, we people are stupid. Only Apple knows best.

That "converter" has to be in 2 places in this vision. You still need that "converter" inside the phone because the phone still has to convert digital to analog for the internal speaker to work.

You also need an amplifier in 2 places for the same reason.

But that's (redundancy) is "the future."

It is pretty amazing how little "people" understand basic audio technology.
[doublepost=1452288690][/doublepost]
Remember when having a white cord dangling from your ears was a status symbol? sheesh.

There will still be a cords. Bluetooth does not deliver quality audio as good as corded options. One part of the rationalization spin is the rumor that Apple is also going to roll out higher fidelity audio files in iTunes. Bluetooth can't play current fidelity iTunes music as good as corded connections.

The difference will become a different jack at the end of those cords or an adapter at the end of those cords. The Future. I love it!

Last edited:

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
So... are they going to add a Lighting port to the Mac line? Do they expect people to invest in Lightning headphones that they can't even use with their other products?

There couldn't have been a greater time to make a universal switch to USB-C :rolleyes:
What other products could you possibly need...?
/s

All joking aside, many folks here keep saying that cheap headphones with the 1/8" (what I refer to the 3.5mm as) are ubiquitous, so why would Apple do such a thing?? I don't know, maybe so your listening experience can be that much better on an Apple device. And if you're using a non-Apple device, you can still use those cheap, ubiquitous headphones everyone keeps talking about.

If you have a favorite pair of headphones (Like, say my Sony MDR-7506) you can use an adapter if you absolutely HAVE to plug them into your iPhone 7. But do you really NEED a pair of Master-Quality headphones for all the compressed, digital audio stored on your phone? You're not mastering vinyl here...

(Note-I'm not necessarily saying the MDR-7506 is a Master-Quality headphone)

Reactions: pianophile

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
So you don't have to physically be attached to a peace of equipment to listen to audio privately. The future of audio is wireless. Not being tethered to something, or figuring out how to run wiring to connect devices, is the ultimate evolution for everything. Giving developers incentive to improve current technology, innovate new ideas, and compete with each other will bring this revolution around sooner rather than later, and will drive prices lower, making the convenience of wireless affordable for everyone, without sacrificing sound quality, or causing undue inconvenience over the current hard-wired standard.
The biggest inconvenience is the requirement for a second battery. It usually makes headphones bulkier, you need them charge regularly, it's yet another device that can die on your in the middle of something. Yes, that sounds like a real inconvenience. The cable on the other hand seriously has never been inconvenient to me. It was never difficult for me to figure out where to put it or whatever. In fact, the cables were often part of the functionality to me — I often got the phone out of my pocket by pulling on the cable, or disconnected the headphones to automatically stop playback. Or using the remote on the cable to control volume.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I hope whatever solution they come up with that they make it possible to both charge your phone and listen to music at the same time. If they don't come up with a solution for that then they're reducing the functionality of the phone which will be quite annoying.

lightning_r.jpg

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, we people are stupid. Only Apple knows best.

That "converter" has to be in 2 places in this vision. You still need that "converter" inside the phone because the phone still has to convert digital to analog for the internal speaker to work.

You also need an amplifier in 2 places for the same reason.

But that's (redundancy) is "the future."

It is pretty amazing how little "people" understand basic audio technology.

Looks like my post maybe wasn't clear enough. I'm in total agreement with you. I was responding to a post complaining that 3.5 was analog and implying that somehow lightning headphones would be better because they're "digital".

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have a cheapish pair of in-ear £30 earphones that I keep scrunched up in my pocket ready for when I need to listen to music on the go. You just can't do that with bluetooth headphones - the same applies for the millions of people who still use Apples terrible white bundled earphones.

All this for the sake of thinness?

Would love to say I'd switch to Android because of this, but lets be honest, thats not going to happen, may just end up getting the new 4inch iPhone they release.

Yes, and Apple is likely going to replace those white bundled earbuds with a set of lightning. So nothing changes. If you have to be prepared to use them on any 3.5mm device, then you carry an inexpensive adapter that's no more than a 2" extension on the end of your cable, which you only remove when you use an Apple device, and keep in that same pocket where your earphones were scrunched up so you don't lose it.

And what makes you think the new 4" iPhone will have a 3.5mm jack?

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Why? This is the only thing that sucks on EVERY Android phone, music support. Every Android phone I have used for audio playback has crappy sound and I hear clicks and hiccups because music and audio has never been a #1 feature of most Android devices. At least iPhone evolved from iPod and Apple has delivered superlative audio quality over the years.

Second, I value this development. The phone should be 100% digital, currently any phone that has a 3.5 mm audio jack needs a DAC to convert digital music to analog, and you are then limited to the quality of that DAC outputs and let's face it, most phones are going to implement a $0.05 component to convert digital music to analog to feed your earphones or headphones.

Unless they remove the speaker from the next iPhone, the phone will still have a DAC. But as you said, the DAC in the iPhone provides superlative audio...and since speakers are analog devices, you will need to keep that superlative DAC in the next iPhone. So it is never going to be 100% digital. Do you even think before you post?

Since most people are going wireless anyways, not having a analog audio port on a phone is not going to be missed a few years from now, and in the least a $5 adapter from Monoprice will most likely be available to plug into the phone's USB C or lightning port if you truly happy with crappy digital to analog conversion from cheap components.

Wow...your post is so full of misinformation. What you think <> reality.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
If you have a favorite pair of headphones (Like, say my Sony MDR-7506) you can use an adapter if you absolutely HAVE to plug them into your iPhone 7. But do you really NEED a pair of Master-Quality headphones for all the compressed, digital audio stored on your phone? You're not mastering vinyl here...

(Note-I'm not necessarily saying the MDR-7506 is a Master-Quality headphone)

I personally have spent thousands total on many headphones over the years. Most wired, some wireless. All the wireless models have been thrown away, because in the long run the wired versions often work so much better and last so much longer. And, yes, the better the headphone the better the music and sound no matter what source you get it from.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So your answer is basically "I just trust Apple and you should too"? Because really, the water resistance thing is not really a real reason. It's perfectly feasible to make the phone water resistant either way. I don't like forging statistics from anecdotal experience, but I'd say at least 90% if not more people I see running around with headphones on their ears use cabled ones.
Apple's not completely stupid. iPhone is their cash cow. If they had data that suggested most people are not using the headphones that come with the phone but ones that they purchased separately (and they're wired) they're not going to get rid of the headphone jack or if they do there's going to he an adapter in the box. My guess is Apple has pretty reliable data that most people are using the headphones that come in the box or are using wireless. And the people that are freaking out about this are the small percent that don't use the headphones that come in the box. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't use Apple's headphones so I would be impacted.

When there's something better to replace it. Which there isn't yet. Or when the world has moved away from common use of that jack. Which hasn't even started yet.
So how does that happen if everybody says what you just said. How will the world move away from common use of that jack if nobody ever gets rid of it? It's got to start somewhere.

This has to be a rhetorical question... it just has to be.

Sorry I don't think $29 for a pair of headphones is obscene.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, and Apple is likely going to replace those white bundled earbuds with a set of lightning. So nothing changes. If you have to be prepared to use them on any 3.5mm device, then you carry an inexpensive adapter that's no more than a 2" extension on the end of your cable, which you only remove when you use an Apple device, and keep in that same pocket where your earphones were scrunched up so you don't lose it

Carrying a separate adapter is sooooo much better an option than just sticking with the "as is."

Of course, Apple could go ahead and make the switch to bundling in Lightning earbuds without jettisoning the 3.5mm jack. That would cover all bases:
  • Apple could embrace "the future"
  • All the people who are already trying to spin this Lightning connection option as superior could take advantage of it (of course, they can already do that too but it doesn't seem to be taking much hold).
  • All us dummies that can't just go with what is rumored could compare the Lightning audio playback vs. the 3.5mm audio playback and hear the superiority for ourselves.
  • All the people that want their current (perfectly fine) headphones to work without having to carry adapters could keep using the 3.5mm jack
  • All the people arguing that this is really about wireless (Bluetooth) could keep using wireless (Bluetooth). And if it is about wireless, Apple could ship wireless earbuds and let us hear that audio superiority vs. a corded option.
Everybody can win with choices. It's reducing choices- especially one like this one- that creates hassles like HAVING to carry adapters to get the very same benefit that used to be delivered inside the phone.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
iPhone 7: Lightning Earpods
iPhone 7S: Wireless Earpods

There it is folks, there's your big 7S feature.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Battery Case? Wireless charging or nothing!

Either ditch the cable completely or keep it!

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Now if they used USB-C dropping the headphone jack would be more understandable.
USB-C can at least transmit analogue audio, so you'd be fine with a passive adapter.
So no "separate DAC for every headphone" hogwash.

But even then the headphone jack has been working just fine since frickin' 1878.
Plus USC-C is far more robust than the rather flimsy lightning connector. The exposed contacts on the lightning connector are a minus as well.

Reactions: Narcaz

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
Yes, and Apple is likely going to replace those white bundled earbuds with a set of lightning. So nothing changes. If you have to be prepared to use them on any 3.5mm device, then you carry an inexpensive adapter that's no more than a 2" extension on the end of your cable, which you only remove when you use an Apple device, and keep in that same pocket where your earphones were scrunched up so you don't lose it.

And what makes you think the new 4" iPhone will have a 3.5mm jack?

I'm going to assume the new 4inch phone won't have this as its very un-apple like to introduce a new idea with a non-flagship phone.

I just don't like the idea of having to carry an adapter around with me, and add an extra layer of inconvenience for (in my opinion) not much gain.

Reactions: Sea Bass
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.