Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some minor changes are coming to the front of the iPhone 7 that will render protective LCD films made for other devices unusable on the new iPhone, reports Japanese site Mac Otakara.

According to the site, manufacturers of LCD films have stopped receiving orders as the iPhone 7 is expected to feature some front panel changes that will require new film designs.

iphone7mockupantennabands.jpg
Mockup of what the iPhone 7 could look like, without front panel changes taken into account​
Recently, some manufacturers of LCD protection films on Alibaba.com have stopped receiving orders as iPhone 7 has its proximity sensor on the front changed to the dual specification in addition to the ambient light sensor on the side moving from the left side to the right while a slightly longer receiver.
Mac Otakara also reiterates rumors that the iPhone 7 Plus will feature a dual-lens camera while the iPhone 7 will feature a larger back camera, rendering existing iPhone 6s and 6s Plus cases unusable with the new devices

Though only small design tweaks are expected to be seen in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, there will be enough of a design shift to require accessory makers to create new products and to require iPhone buyers to purchase new products.

Schematics and blueprints suggest the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will be largely the same dimensions as the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s, but with relocated antenna bands, better water resistance, the removal of the headphone jack, and possibly some as of yet unknown reduction in thickness. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said the iPhone 7 could be 1mm thinner than the iPhone 6s, but case leaks and other rumors suggest more a more modest change.

The Wall Street Journal yesterday called the changes set to be introduced in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus "subtle," while Kuo has said the device will not have many "attractive selling points." Apple is eschewing a major design revamp in 2016 in order to introduce more expansive changes in the 2017 iPhone, expected to see an all glass body with an edge-to-edge display.

Article Link: iPhone 7 to Feature Longer Earpiece Cutout, Relocated Ambient Light Sensor

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Oct 31, 2009
I have to believe that more has to change. I realize next year will be a (hopefully) complete rethink of the iPhone but there has to be more. I'm not a fan of the 6/6+ style but square the corners ala 5s and I think it would be a nicer looking phone.

Reactions: modeyabsolom

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
wake me up in september when we can watch the keynote. apple will alter the appearance...its the 7th version. they don't alter the appearance on the s models. this is not the first time we've gone through this process. the 7 will look different and have physical features that are different. the 7s will not and will have interior bumps. yes there are minor exceptions, but come on. same song and dance.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
According to the site, manufacturers of LCD films have stopped receiving orders??

This is a bit exaggerated. Even if iPhone 7 uses new film, I don't think Apple will stop making iPhone 6. I'm pretty sure Apple will not discontinue all other models of iPhone 6/SE till next year.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The space for the earpiece will be longer because it's moving to a new digital proprietary Apple connector called 'VeryVeryFrightening'.

If you want to continue using your analogue ears you can, but you will need a 29.99 VeryVeryFrightening-to-analogue-speaker adapter. This may seem an odd decision at first, but it means earpiece speaker makers can produce higher quality units because it isn't relying on the built-in Apple earpiece anymore, and can now wire the audio directly into your brain, cutting out distracting background audio entirely. It will also have an open API and app store with subscriptions, so that you can stop hearing the outside world altogether and enjoy wonderful audio targeted specifically For You.

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
Apple went from "tick-tock" to "tick-tock-tock" schedule. Disappointing. And I won't buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack anytime soon. I have $500 worth of 3.5mm connector earphones that work just fine and want none of this Lightning port stuff.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Sounds like a wait til Fall 2017 is in order. It's ok though since I'm sure I'll find something to buy from Apple this year. I'm actually looking forward more to the Watch this fall. Hopefully the launch is the same so I can subsidize it by selling a couple.

Reactions: Tamagotchi

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
A longer earpiece, relocated light sensors, seriously? I think I'll be skipping the upgrade for the first time ever. With Apple, though, they'll probably manage to still get some of my money if they update the watch.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder if they could go with a bone-conducting phone? Get rid of the receiver slot entirely and have a completely sealed front. Put the top section of the phone up to your ear, and you could hear without needing the small speaker there.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I hope Apple has really just doubled down on secrecy for real.

Because, based on rumors, nothing substantive is happening on the iPhone or Mac lines.

They promised incredible stuff in the pipeline and if what looks like is coming is it, I won't be fooled again.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Part of me wonders whether Apple is seeding rumors that make the phone sound mediocre, while secretly planning BIG upgrades. Would be great if it was true. I certainly don't believe they are really going to release a new iPhone with almost NO changes. The 6s CPU is already blazing fast, so a CPU bump isn't going to make nearly as much of a difference anymore. But a big camera improvement, perhaps a true-tone screen, and who knows, maybe even Apple Pencil capability, could do a lot.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple went from "tick-tock" to "tick-tock-tock" schedule. Disappointing. And I won't buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack anytime soon. I have $500 worth of 3.5mm connector earphones that work just fine and want none of this Lightning port stuff.

Same boat exactly. I'll happily pass on what is being described here.

Reactions: Hank Carter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.