'iPhone 7' Waterproof Rumors Persist Amid Claims of Hidden Antenna Bands

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Catcher Technology will remain the largest chassis supplier for the upcoming line of next-generation iPhones, tentatively referred to as the "iPhone 7," according to the China-based Commercial Times (via DigiTimes). Sources noted that Catcher's non-Apple clients, representing about 40 percent of its overall sales, will keep it going until the majority of its output begins with the manufacturing of the iPhone 7 later in 2016. In total, Catcher Technology's manufacturing supply is estimated to account for 30 to 35 percent of the shipment numbers for the iPhone 7.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 7 concept mock-up by designer Martin Hajek

The report also mentioned the continuing rumor that the iPhone 7 may be a completely waterproof device, building on the recent momentum that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus had this year that showed improved water resistance. The Commercial Times also spoke of "new compound materials" that would be put in place to form a discreet housing for the iPhone 7's antenna, suggesting the possible removal of the bands from the back of the current iPhone generation.

As a non S-generation year, the iPhone 7 is expected to be a big step-up from the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, in terms of design and functionality, when it launches next year. Besides a waterproof design and now the possibility of a hidden antenna band, another rumor suggested Apple could be phasing out the 3.5mm headphone jack for an all-in-one Lightning connector port.

Article Link: 'iPhone 7' Waterproof Rumors Persist Amid Claims of Hidden Antenna Bands

2. Sirious, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Anyone else waiting for this iPhone?

(As in not waiting for '6c' or any other brand)

3. Solomani macrumors 68020

Solomani

Forget water-proofing. I want one that is Government spying-proof.

4. H2SO4 macrumors 68030

If it looks like that I’ll buy two. Puleeeezzz Jony and all will be forgiven. I’ll also stop moaning about the 16GB base storage. (I’ll still moan about the camera if it sticks out tho).
    That’s the best looking phone I’ve seen to date from any manufacturer. Not being waterproof isn’t a deal breaker either.

5. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Oh please let the hidden antenna bands be true. I'm in love with my rose gold 6s+ but those bands sometimes ruin the look for me.

6. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

Waterproof will most likely happen considering the 6S is almost waterproof.

Just please, no protruding camera, no phone so thin that it bends instantly, no lack of headphone jack, and no ugly antenna bands.

7. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

8. acm1108 macrumors regular

Mashable Headline- September 2016 iPhone 7 -Watergate Scandal

9. mi7chy macrumors 68020

10. Pelea macrumors regular

11. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Hide those hideous 6/6s antenna bands: tick!

Now just make the camera lens flush with the back, and shrink the bezels, making the overall device size smaller...
    And THEN I will upgrade from my 5s.

12. aaronvan macrumors 65816

aaronvan

13. bobob macrumors 68020

bobob

Nope - - you're the only one.

14. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

15. freepomme macrumors 6502a

This is the kind of thing where it has to be all or nothing. If it's not completely waterproof, then no one will care if it's slightly waterproof.

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Please no lightning connector flap for water proofing.

17. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Presumably it's necessary to remove the 3.5 socket in the search for waterproofness.. and that's also assuming the Lightning port itself can be made waterproof..

But it is going to be a real provocative move by Apple to render all 3.5 headphones suddenly useless.. (Without the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter at $79..!)

18. jglonek macrumors newbie

After having to replace an iPhone 5 due to water getting in the speaker port and ruining the screen I would absolutely grab an iPhone 7 if it's waterproof.

(It was my wife's phone, and it was a completely legitimate and unavoidable situation due to her job).

19. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Why they didn't color key the bands to make them less noticeable I'll never know. It's as if they wanted them to be a focal point (under the case that is). With the way Apple like glue/epoxy, etc. I'd think every phone would be waterproof by now.

20. PsychoLogicXen macrumors member

You can use a case and simultaneously solve both the ugly antenna band and rear camera bulge "problems."

Apple needs to focus on the waterproofing and integrating the home button into the display like that mockup.

21. SesameWasher macrumors regular

SesameWasher

Seems like the big complication for the current generation iPhones are:
    The antenna bands
    The camera that sticks out
    And the two dots layout in the front.

I don't really mind the white band and back camera that much, but if it can be fixed that's great.
    The third one however bugs me.

Although I know overall it's a compromises since there's no better way to do, but still hope things can be improved.

22. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

We can finally come full circle.

23. Swazaloo macrumors member

Nope. The "S" cycle is always a much larger improvement. Don't be fooled just because it looks the same.

24. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Apparently I'm the only one who quite likes the antenna bands. I love the contrast of the white band against the gold frame. I'm not saying I would miss them if they were gone, but I do quite like them.

Same with the protruding camera, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What would I do to use Square if they get rid of the headphone port? I know the new chip reader is Bluetooth but still.