iPhone Activations Drop 43% at AT&T, But Represent 60% of Total Postpaid Phone Sales

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AT&T today announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2012, revealing that it activated 4.3 million iPhones during the quarter. The number marks a substantial drop from the 7.6 million iPhones activated last quarter for the launch of the iPhone 4S, but still easily tops Verizon's 3.2 million iPhones sold during the first quarter.
    While AT&T's activations and sales can not quite be directly compared because activations includes used devices being reactivated on new accounts, AT&T has told us that this is a small difference. Consequently, AT&T's 4.3 million iPhone activations likely corresponds to approximately 75% of its total smartphone sales of 5.5 million units for the quarter.

[​IMG]

Even more impressively, the continued trend toward smartphone adoption means that the iPhone is representing a growing proportion of total phone sales (smartphone and non-smartphone) at AT&T. The carrier notes that smartphones represented more than 78% of its total phone sales to postpaid customers, meaning that the iPhone accounted for roughly 60% of AT&T's total phone sales to those customers during the quarter.

The significant drop in iPhone activations for AT&T combined with the significant drop at Verizon are weighing on Apple's stock this morning, with the already-weakened share price down another $10 as trading opens for the day. But while investors appear nervous about Apple's iPhone sales numbers for the quarter, the primary driver will be international sales as Apple increased distribution during the quarter. China is by far the largest component to that equation, with the iPhone 4S not only having launched on China Unicom early in the quarter but also having been added by China Telecom in early March.

Apple will report its quarterly financial results after the close of trading today, at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern Time.

Article Link: iPhone Activations Drop 43% at AT&T, But Represent 60% of Total Postpaid Phone Sales

2. macrumors regular

I thought Sprint would be doing better than this.

They are the last ones left with unlimited data plans

3. macrumors 6502

Time to hurry up and get that next iPhone out the door.

4. macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Aww, poor cell phone companies my heart aches for you. :rolleyes:

5. Moonjumper, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

macrumors 65816

I wouldn't call the Apple share price "already-weakened". It had a recent bubble that is correcting itself.

EDIT: I was referring to a mini bubble and correction within an upward trend. "already-weakened" sounds as if Apple stock is performing poorly when that very far from the truth. Sorry for not being clearer.

6. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

With the slowest network and last ones to get LTE

7. macrumors 6502

Because??? The next iPhone will be out a year from the 4S -- Sept/October

If for no other reason, Apple needs low power LTE chips from Qualcomm which won't ship in quantity before then.

8. macrumors 68030

needfx

maybe the drop in sales is in anticipation of the next gen iPhone

9. macrumors 68000

Bubble? Correction? It was still one of the most undervalued stocks on the market.

10. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Funny.... it's still a gain from normal quarters, but investors only see the dip from the holidays. :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 65816

Well keep in mind that new activations don't mean new customers/phone lines. A lot of the activations on AT&T/Verizon could be on existing unlimited data plans.

12. macrumors 65816

lord patton

AT&T iPhone "activations" down 43%, but Verizon's were down only 25%. I wonder why?

13. macrumors 68020

macingman

Because this "unlimited data" plan operates at speeds most carriers consider to be throttled speeds.

It's not just about the quantity of calls/SMS/data but also the quality and speed of the connection. Infact I'll say quality is more important here in Australia, the telstra network, which is by far the best charges about $20 more a month for what you get on other carriers but because their speed an reliability is much better they still have the biggest marketshare.

14. macrumors 6502a

I would say it was iPhone saturation. Do many people have the phone. And in business you have to keep selling the same sh** over and over again. Apple and all them players in this game know the drill.

15. macrumors 68000

3GS upgraders.

16. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Geez those sales suck. Probably has something to do with how few new features were unveiled with the 4S.

17. macrumors 6502

starbird

how is this surprising? Have you been in an AT&T or Verizon store lately? They have maybe a half-dozen basic phones. My wife is in need of an upgrade but not willing to pay $30/month for a data plan that she will barely use. The cheapest basic phone at our local Verizon store was $80. For a piece of junk. For $20 more she could get an iPhone 4. All the "free" phones are droids. So she decided to wait for the 'promised' shared data to see what that costs.

My point is, consumers don't think long term. They think up front costs. "Free" phone gets them. So $80 for a basic phone or "free" for a droid. Droid wins.

18. macrumors 6502

Looks higher than it's been in the last year with exception to the obvious holiday quarter, and of course there's going to be a drop after having a massive quarter like that. Look for the same pattern this year.

Rinse, repeat, continue enjoying the iPhone.

19. macrumors 65816

Frobozz

I stocked up on shares yesterday. That hasn't rarely been a bad decision in recent times, and given these numbers it's looking good. The ridiculous thing about following Apple stock is that you know they will beat their own guidance. So the market never looks at that, they add a percentage uptick on that every time. I just don't seem momentum slowing down compared to last year's quarter. Maybe some softness in Mac sales due to people waiting on the refresh– I can anecdotally support that one.

20. macrumors 68040

Only the foolish would tell a tech company to rush a product out the door.

Plus, we're talking about Apple. They work on their own timetable.

Take your time, Apple. Get it right.

21. shanmugam, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

macrumors 68020

shanmugam

hmmm, forgot about the holiday quarter so that make sense.

last quarter was block buster but this quarter normal ...

22. macrumors 6502a

Compare Q1 2012 with Q1 2011. 20% growth on AT&T. Q4 was a holiday quarter and the quarter with iPhone 4S. Of course the numbers were higher.

23. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I guess I don't see the big deal, why wouldn't sales be down compared to a holiday quarter?

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors 68000

a few years ago smart phones were novel, now everyone's on their second or third one. people are getting bored and the global economy is not what it used to be. unless there's a revolutionary new iphone … and not just a minor upgrade … people will be less likely to care.