Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

015102-web_500.png

Apple posted another iPhone ad which demonstrates the advantages of having the internet on your phone.
"What's so great about having the internet in your pocket? Well, then you can see the trail map when you are on the mountain. Find a good place to eat in town, when you're hungry. And change your flight when you're just not ready to go home. -- That's what's so great."

Article Link

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Erm...

Yah, the internut has the ability to sometimes be handy.

Bummer though, when the airlines website runs on some flash thing or applet which Safari of course displays as a little gift box. "Hey! A present! For me? Oh my stars! Wait a minute, this box doesn't open. That's not a very nice present at all! Arrrr!!!"

I do like how all three pages are shown cached. How do I get mine to do that? Keep waiting?

Hm.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Bummer though, when the airlines website runs on some flash thing or applet which Safari of course displays as a little gift box.

That's like that with mine too. Whenever my parents want to check flight details when we are away somewhere.. "Sorry mum, It's that bloody giftbox again!"

I do like how all three pages are shown cached. How do I get mine to do that? Keep waiting?

Hope an update comes soon for it!

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
forced Quicktime update?

(windows XP) is this new iphone ad on the apple website making anyone else download a quicktime update before it will play? Is this related to that recent update?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Like it, short and to the point. Really well done I think.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Would you actually wear the iPhone while skiing or snowboarding? I'd at least want a very well-padded case for it in case of encounters with the ground, other skiers, yettis, etc.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
having the internet on the go is one of single reasons i got the iPhone. sure you can get online with other phones, but smaller screens typically.

and as i'm cycling around the city during the summer and looking for someplace its handy.

Sirolly

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I think it's by having immaculate looking hands.
Oh, but you can still aspire. The bar has been lowered. Nowadays, you only need to be a right hand index finger actor. (Or did you miss the agency casting notice? They might even greenscreen and horizontal flip-flop for the left right hand, I mean, the right left hand.)

Notice how in the early iPhone commercials, the hand struggled valiantly to hold the iPhone stock still - but in the most recent three commercials, the hand holding the phone's bezel has become a still stock image? So many fewer takes! So much less to manicure! Perhaps the model, or the model's left forearm, met a grizzly end. But the left hand shall never age! The left hand shall live... forever!

Either way, it appears the left hand no longer has any idea what the right hand is doing. Can't even be sure which right finger it is, seeing as the iPhone pretty much flips off all of Apple's competitors. Also looks like they may just animate the obligatory "taking a call" money shot at the end - you know, the customary "wiperblade," with a bit of "shimmy" just beforehand. Ugh, I mean, before.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Would you actually wear the iPhone while skiing or snowboarding? I'd at least want a very well-padded case for it in case of encounters with the ground, other skiers, yettis, etc.

I'm not sure I'd wear a phone, I might bring it with me though. I don't think I ever have, though I have carried radio's (of the Ski Patrol kind) and never had one break, however I don't usually have encounters with the ground. I sometimes encounter other skiers on the ground ;)

And as has been mentioned, Safari doesn't cache for me, if I come back to a website it's usually a blank page that wants to re re-loaded. The maps app does though.

gabevasq

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Its funny how they never show the phone using the edge network. Always on wifi. Try looking at a trail map on the edge network you would freeze your butt off in the snow.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
better than having no way of looking at it. :p

Um not quite. It's painfully slow. As good as the safari browser is, browsing can be very annoying compared to my lightning fast N95, even if it had a smaller screen.

For a device that's supposedly '5 years ahead of the competition', it's mighty puzzling how good/bad the internet on the iPhone can be.

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Sure, you can see the trail map on the mountain (assuming this mountain has cell service), but it would be even better if the iPhone had GPS so it could tell you where you were. I have found the combo of GPS and Google Maps' satellite view handy a few times while hiking. Other times, I've found that I had no cell service.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
minor points

Sure, you can see the trail map on the mountain (assuming this mountain has cell service), but it would be even better if the iPhone had GPS so it could tell you where you were. I have found the combo of GPS and Google Maps' satellite view handy a few times while hiking. Other times, I've found that I had no cell service.

You just want the world, now don't you? I get five bars and WiFi at the top of my mountain. :D

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Ok, the internet is very helpful and all of us can think of a million ways that it has helped us or that it would be useful. How long is Apple going to continue to do the same type of commercials. I don't hate the commercials, I just think this same theme is getting kind of old. The story commercials were a nice change of pace, but now they are back to doing the same things again. I think I am just ready to see a new type of iPhone commercial from Apple, maybe with some new music and whole new theme.

BentonMiller

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
SLC
I've totally done that

Kinda freaky, but just the other day I was up at SnowBird looking at a PDF of their trail map, listening to tunes, checking email. As far as anyone else knew I was "at work". Pretty great, but was apple on the lift behind me?

P.S. This is my first post on Macrumors LONG TIME (8 years) lurker, first time poster. Can't believe this is the first thing I'm posting about.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
iPhone snooze

Ok, the internet is very helpful and all of us can think of a million ways that it has helped us or that it would be useful. How long is Apple going to continue to do the same type of commercials. I don't hate the commercials, I just think this same theme is getting kind of old. The story commercials were a nice change of pace, but now they are back to doing the same things again. I think I am just ready to see a new type of iPhone commercial from Apple, maybe with some new music and whole new theme.

Not doing too much for me either. While I've found the PC v. Mac ads to generally be fresh and fun, when I hear the first few bars of music for the iPhone ads, I usually tune out the spots. Not looking for the steak because there's not even any sizzle. Makes the iPhone a bit dull, and this is coming from the an iPhone owner.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
but it would be even better if the iPhone had GPS so it could tell you where you were.

Ummm...I thought it does. Even my Touch with just WiFi has located me several times to within a hundred yards or so.

Did anyone else pick up on the "everyday" usage that's shown in the commercial: going on a ski trip, eating at a nice restaurant and checking your flight time? That's not something I do on a regular basis. (Okay -- I don't do that at all.) Wouldn't that tend to restrict the commercial's audience?

How about showing a family on a camping trip? They get lost on the way and the iPhone directs them not only to their campsite but a nice family restaurant along the way. Seems like that would have wider appeal.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California

Yes. I had mine in my inner jacket pocket next to my chest while snowboarding and it worked out well. It was my first time in almost seven years and, despite my numerous falls, was just fine. It got a little wet, but it worked fine. It was encased by an Agent 18 EcoShield.
-Chasen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.