Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I just dont get it. Iphone is a nice device but there is no choice at all. Everyone has the same look and feel. I think it would be rather disturbing to walk into a room and everyone is using the same device . Thats like everyone wearing the same clothes and there is no difference. That is very scary if you think about it.

Are you kidding? Smartphones are supposed to be minimalist slabs of glass and little more. It's the apps that makes them unique

When I walk into a room I constantly see phones that have a totally unique blend of apps on them, specially picked out by their owners.

I can think of no product MORE diverse than smartphones. Every single one is customized to its owner's desires.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Your post shows your limited point of view. While the iphone can be a fashion device (it is beautiful after all), it is not meant to be so. It is meant to be a tool for you to do things with it (enjoyably).

That said, it is no different than walking into an office or computer lab and seeing the same model of Dell everywhere...

And, there's enough (irrational) Apple haters out there for that to ever happen..

A business, for the most part, is not about individuality.

altoption

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
I dislike the way Verizon reps represent the iPhone. My personal iPhone is through AT&T but my work iPhone is through Verizon and every time I go into one of their corporate stores all they do is bash on the iPhone and talk highly about Android. This has happened to me at multiple Verizon stores here in L.A.

Yup. My girlfriend was looking to switch to an iPhone from a Blackberry and she had to practically beg the Verizon store salesman to sell her one. Now that she has her iPhone 4s, she tells me almost every day how amazing the phone is! Verizon does everything possible to sell anything but Apple.

Macboy74

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Buffalo NY
I went from an iPhone on AT&T to an Android handset on Verizon and now have an iPhone 4 on Verizon. As I was telling someone last week, I wouldn't take an Android LTE phone right now if VZW paid me to do it because I need a phone that can make it through a normal workday without having to toggle the LTE radio on and off. I'm excited to see how Apple handles the issue of battery drain on LTE handsets when they have a smaller form factor to work with (compared to the new iPad.)

When an LTE iPhone is released, I think it's going to attract a ton of current iPhone users on other carriers over to Verizon. A bunch of current iPhone 4 users on AT&T have contracts expiring within the next 4-5 months. I hope and pray that Verizon's LTE network can handle a massive influx of customers and maintain decent throughput.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about anybody leaving AT&T anytime soon. When Verizon got the iPhone people said that AT&T subs would leave in droves and no one did. Including myself Verizon is nothing special and their network is far from reliable. Had them for 2 years and I was over charged, had no service when traveling within the US, had dropped calls galore and crappy customer service.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It's funny that you mention that and you'll probably get downvoted for it, but I've actually been thinking about that these last few days.

A person's phone is a very personal and individual extension of themselves. Back in the day nearly everyone had a different phone, and in the off chance of seeing somebody else with your phone it was a cool coincidence, "Hey look! I have the same phone as you!" Kinda like sharing the same birthday with someone or running into someone wearing the same tshirt.

Yes Like the Motorola StarTac and The Motorola Razor or the Blackberries.
Everybody had one of those when they were popular.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I just dont get it. Iphone is a nice device but there is no choice at all. Everyone has the same look and feel. I think it would be rather disturbing to walk into a room and everyone is using the same device . Thats like everyone wearing the same clothes and there is no difference. That is very scary if you think about it. Apple is mass produce company like IBM and nothing is special about them. its like having no identity . This is just my opinion. Thank you.

I think the more people with iPhones the better. What bothers me is the people that buy them just because everyone has them and they don't know how to use basic features.

If you buy something you should know how it works. The more iPhones though means better cases, more apps, more people with iMessage/FaceTime.

I love the fact that 95% of my friends have iPhones. We all have different cases too which helps the "identity" thing.

The iPhone looks damn good too. Best looking smartphone ever in my opinion so seeing a lot of them is even easier on the eyes.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I just dont get it. Iphone is a nice device but there is no choice at all. Everyone has the same look and feel. I think it would be rather disturbing to walk into a room and everyone is using the same device . Thats like everyone wearing the same clothes and there is no difference. That is very scary if you think about it. Apple is mass produce company like IBM and nothing is special about them. its like having no identity . This is just my opinion. Thank you.

Yes, you don't get it!

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I dislike the way Verizon reps represent the iPhone. My personal iPhone is through AT&T but my work iPhone is through Verizon and every time I go into one of their corporate stores all they do is bash on the iPhone and talk highly about Android. This has happened to me at multiple Verizon stores here in L.A.

I Get that same feeling at a verizon store or listen to non tech people and find out they go into the verizon store they seem to come out with a android... why? I think verizon hypes up the android more than they should, but bottom line you would think they would hype up the iphone to a non tech person because the iphone is extremely simple.

I wonder if verizon gets something extra for selling androids.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
I Get that same feeling at a verizon store or listen to non tech people and find out they go into the verizon store they seem to come out with a android... why? I think verizon hypes up the android more than they should, but bottom line you would think they would hype up the iphone to a non tech person because the iphone is extremely simple.

I wonder if verizon gets something extra for selling androids.

I am pretty certain the reps get higher commissions for Android phones compared to iPhones. At least this is what I have been told.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

I think you're looking at it wrong. The iPhone is more of a tool than a fashion statement. You're not supposed to define yourself by the tool you use.

Do you notice carpenters all upset because their hammer looks like every other hammer?

The iPhone is currently the best tool for the job. The most features with the least amount of headache. That is a winning combination.

The ability to fill an iPhone with your own apps, music, games, and images is the icing on the cake.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

There is nothing special about Apple...that's a good one.

People have choice...see those 100's of other options out there...the majority don't want them.

It's not disturbing. It's choice and people are expressing their dissatisfaction with other manufacturers and their crappy products made by tech/engineering types that have no clue how to make a consumer focused product. It's also not a style thing like your outfits or car or house. It's a tool. Just like your laptop or computer.

They want the iPhone because of the design.

They want the iPhone because of the Apps and Eco-system.

They want the iPhone because of Facetime.

They want the iPhone because of iMessage and free texting.

They wand the iPhone because it's the best phone out there.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Last time I was in a Verizon store there were at least 20 different Android OS Smartphones for sale from various vendors and at various price points. Almost all of the higher-end Android OS models supported LTE.

For iPhone to represent HALF of their Smartphone sales last quarter, and the 4S isn't even LTE-enabled...that's impressive. Wow.

To be honest the LTE thing should be no surprise. Something that seems to have been lost in the geek world recently is there's more to a device than just specs and features. How many average users really care about LTE? Heck, how many geeks would actually fully utilise LTE if they had it? The overall experience of using a handset, from the design all the way through to the ecosystem that surrounds it, is far more important to the mass market these days than a feature check list. The only thing, really, that trumps it is price and as Apple keep moving handsets down to lower price points they're addressing that issue.

Still think the next big 'holy GOD' quarter for iPhone sales will be when the iPhone 5 comes out. Not for the 5 itself, though that will likely be massive, but because if they stick to current patterns the iPhone 4 becomes the bottom end device and that will be a huge draw at that money.

Yes Like the Motorola StarTac and The Motorola Razor or the Blackberries.
Everybody had one of those when they were popular.

uhhh I don't even know what the StarTac was so there goes that thought.

The Razor was comparitively (at the time) huge, but no where NEAR iPhone levels.

And blackberries were sorta starting to get popular when the original iPhone was released, but it was still mostly just a business phone.

I love the fact that 95% of my friends have iPhones. We all have different cases too which helps the "identity" thing.

The iPhone looks damn good too. Best looking smartphone ever in my opinion so seeing a lot of them is even easier on the eyes.

Yes I love the iPhone design!!! But I cover it up with a case for individuality.... :confused:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think you're looking at it wrong. The iPhone is more of a tool than a fashion statement. You're not supposed to define yourself by the tool you use.

Do you notice carpenters all upset because their hammer looks like every other hammer?

The iPhone is currently the best tool for the job. The most features with the least amount of headache. That is a winning combination.

The ability to fill an iPhone with your own apps, music, games, and images is the icing on the cake.

Bad analogy. And wrong conclusion. Carpenters don't care if their tools look like everyone else's because they have the right tool for the right job. And manual tools aren't that complex or different. There are very few variances in a hammer. Or screwdriver. Again - not power tools - I'm talking manual tools.

Further - your OPINION based on YOUR use case is that the iPhone is the best tool for the job. That is not true for everyone. Most features is arguable as is least amount of headache. Again - you are stating your use case and your experiences. A winning combination for YOU.

Just to be clear :)

Still think the next big 'holy GOD' quarter for iPhone sales will be when the iPhone 5 comes out. Not for the 5 itself, though that will likely be massive, but because if they stick to current patterns the iPhone 4 becomes the bottom end device and that will be a huge draw at that money.

How do you figure? How will the iPhone 4 being bottom of the line, be any different than the iPhone 3GS being bottom of the line? Sure the 4 is a year newer, but it will also be a year later in time...

Edit: and for >90% of people I don't think I could ever recommend anything but the newest iPhone model. And the remaining <10% I could maybe recommend the free model. For people who really really don't use their phones much (i.e. my parents). I don't think I could EVER recommend the middle model... For $100 more you get double the storage and a year newer phone.

Last edited:

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
It's funny that you mention that and you'll probably get downvoted for it, but I've actually been thinking about that these last few days.

A person's phone is a very personal and individual extension of themselves. Back in the day nearly everyone had a different phone, and in the off chance of seeing somebody else with your phone it was a cool coincidence, "Hey look! I have the same phone as you!" Kinda like sharing the same birthday with someone or running into someone wearing the same tshirt. But if suddenly a HUGE percentage of your friends, your coworkers, and people you walk by in the streets start having the same birthday as you or start all wearing the exact same tshirt as you all the time, it starts to become a little disconcerting.

And I have very recently been feeling this about the iPhone. It's not that I think I'm better than someone because I have an iPhone, so I don't want the "common folk" to have one too. I've always enjoyed the spread of iPhones and found it very fun to see so many people with them, because I think iPhone's are the best and I have an unnaturally strong inclination to want Apple to succeed. But it's starting to be a bit odd to see SO many people with the exact same phone as me. And I admit, I did enjoy being ahead of the curve when I got my iPhone 3G on launch day... I mean everybody wants to feel like they have the best, and it does tarnish that a bit when everybody and their mom has it also.

And to think, right now Apple only has about a 30-40% marketshare of smartphones. Can you imagine if Apple was able to capture the same smartphone marketshare as they have on iPods or iPads? Try to think about this for a moment. 70-80%? There would be so little individuality.

Now I'll probably get downvoted too.

The iPhone is a great device but I think the reason most people buy it is for the iOS ecosystem. I don't think it's weird at all. As far as going to a 70-80% market share? You mean like Windows?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I could imagine a future with 100% iPhone marketshare and it looks great!

And I will always be the one to not being a part of it.

I'm sold on Windows Phone as a phone OS. It rocks. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

And I'm definitely looking forward to the Galaxy S3 launch. Either that or Lumia 900 all the way.

Sorry to burst your bubble...:p

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
FIRST...

Seriously though, WOW! A single phone selling more than like, what, 25 android phones combined!!

I kind of wonder how many of these customers would be Verizon customers anyway, and how many are new customers. It may still be pretty good, but there's a high chance that a lot of them are buying it because they're eligible for an upgrade and the iphone is available.

I noticed on Star Trek everyone had the same communicator. it was even shaped like a futuristic Apple logo. I guess Android the communication device wasn't popular anymore.

130192343782.jpg

The Android hardware may carry better margins.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Never listen to industry people who say Apple doesn't control this market. They freaking own these carriers as long as iPhone demand is that high.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Yep. Verizon turned on LTE for my city today. So hello Verizon when iPhone LTE comes out. :D

I've been enjoying fast Verizon 4G LTE for several months. It's too bad that iPhone buyers will have to continue to live on the old, outdated and slow CDMA 3G network for another 6 months or even longer.

It would be hard to sign a 2 year contact and know that you will be left behind on network speed soon. I know the old resale value argument, but Verizon 3G only iPhones won't have much value once LTE ones are released.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I kind of wonder how many of these customers would be Verizon customers anyway, and how many are new customers. It may still be pretty good, but there's a high chance that a lot of them are buying it because they're eligible for an upgrade and the iphone is available.

The Android hardware may carry better margins.

I can't remember if this is true or not, but it was discussed at length in a prior thread.

I just laugh because I wonder what would have happened if the original iPhone had been released on AT&T and Verizon simultaneously. Remember, the android world really took off as a result of the Moto Droid marketing campaign pushed heavily by Verizon when they rejected the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.