Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stryfe137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
i've heard that the idisk on the airport extreme is accessible outside your home network with a mac. is it possible that the iphone can do the same which would alleviate some of the issues with flash memory capacity allowing to stream movies,photos,docs, etc.?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

I suppose it's possible, but you'd be severly hampered by both the upload speed of your home connection and the download speed wherever you are with your phone.

I bet you could transfer files, but streaming movies would probably be pushing it.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
i've heard that the idisk on the airport extreme is accessible outside your home network with a mac. is it possible that the iphone can do the same which would alleviate some of the issues with flash memory capacity allowing to stream movies,photos,docs, etc.?

Do you mean the iDisk accessible through your .Mac account, or do you mean an external HD attached to your Airport Extreme...? I'm a little confused, because I see these as two separate things... or am I missing something?

stryfe137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
re: the airport extreme

Do you mean the iDisk accessible through your .Mac account, or do you mean an external HD attached to your Airport Extreme...? I'm a little confused, because I see these as two separate things... or am I missing something?

through the new airport extreme. since the iphone has 802.11g and some sort of os x, shouldn't you (theoretically) have the ability to access your home network and usb hard drive?

i thought since something like slingbox could stream your television to a cell phone decently enough, some of those same capabilities could exist in the new airport extreme and iphone. this way the size of the flash memory becomes somewhat easier to bear if you can access your home hard drive.

also the iphone processor is more powerful than any other cell phone out there right now so it should be a little easier to get quality streaming

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
through the new airport extreme. since the iphone has 802.11g and some sort of os x, shouldn't you (theoretically) have the ability to access your home network and usb hard drive?

i thought since something like slingbox could stream your television to a cell phone decently enough, some of those same capabilities could exist in the new airport extreme and iphone. this way the size of the flash memory becomes somewhat easier to bear if you can access your home hard drive.

Yeah, I see your point now.

I guess it will be possible to access your home network on the iPhone, in theory. However, there are a few issues I think:

(1) You would only be able to access it within 'range' of your network (WiFi (even the new 802.11n standard) only works within something like 150ft). Still, I'm sure this would still be handy, but...

(2) Will the iPhone software be able to support such communication with the Airport Extreme? You mention Slingbox in your post... I think software like this would be necessary, and I don't think the iPhone runs, or will run, such software.

In short... your suggestion is a good one, and I hope the iPhone incorporates it, but I for one am not holding my breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.