Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Anyone have any insight, based on the existing technology, if the iPhone will be compatible with BMW's handsfree bluetooth option? I know we can't be certain till friday, but I assume it would work the same as a regular bluetooth headset. The only thing that worries me is friends of mine have had to ditch certain models of blackberry to make the system in their car happy.

Thanks!,

Frankie

in my experience, BMW's bluetooth compatibility is VERY limited. I doubt the iPhone will work with existing BMW software.

What would be nice is if they would add phone function to their iPod hook-up, so that it's hardwired. Maybe in the 2008 models...

rSm00th

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I was wondering that myself... My blackberry 7250 syncs up with my 530i just fine, so I'm hoping the iPhone will be able to pair no problemo.

horatiub

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
in my experience, BMW's bluetooth compatibility is VERY limited. I doubt the iPhone will work with existing BMW software.

What would be nice is if they would add phone function to their iPod hook-up, so that it's hardwired. Maybe in the 2008 models...

that's what I thought also till I saw this report today on a BMW Blog.

www.edbmw.com

there is a full report with pics that shows full compatibility between the BMW iDrive and the iPhone.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006

I've got an April 2006 build 330i and the iPhone works perfectly with it. Bluetooth works and it also works with the iPod MOST Interface I have installed. I plug it in and I can scroll through all my songs on the iDrive screen. :)

edgarj

macrumors newbie
Reports on e90post.com

So far, reports on e90post.com (the most active e90/91/92/93 board) cites BT compatibility with the iPhone. I have a e92 335i (iDrive) and will confirm this as soon as AT&T connects my service (activated via iTunes, but still no voice/EDGE connection :( )

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Check out The front page ad thing right now is "iPhone. You drive."

Just paired my Bimmer with my iPhone. No problems (unlike my Samsung that wouldn't link) and the phone book uploaded really quickly (unlike my old Sony-Ericksson that took hours).

Nice!

shunga

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Limiting address book

I would like to sync my entire address book to the iPhone but only transfer a portion of the names/numbers to the BMW. Currently the iPhone has ALL and a PHONE group, but when the iPhone sends the address book it sends ALL. Does anyone know of a way to send a different address book other than ALL?

At the moment I'm only syncing the PHONE group to the iPhone which keeps the number of names and numbers manageable, but then I don't have all of my other names and addresses.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Other than that, it works great with 2007 328 convertible with intergrated ipod/usb.

Thanks

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I wonder if it'll work with the Dension Icelink Plus? With text on the headunit as well (BMW/MINI)?

Will I need some sort of adaptor for the cradle or will it just fit in?!

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
I have the Dension Icelink for my old 02' Beemer and it doesn't work in the way that I want. Steering wheel controls work but you can't use the iPhone to pick music or pick anything with the iPod for that matter. I have a 06" M3 on the way from Cali so I don't plan on caring next week... ;P

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
So the iPhone works great with the Mercedes iPod integration kit also. At least in my 07 S550. I'm sure it will work with the other models.

FSugino

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I have a 2003 M3 with the handsfree Bluetooth option... and it didn't connect with my iPhone. Didn't even see it when in discovery mode.

I wonder if the new Bluetooth system that's compatible with the iPhone is available as an upgrade for older models.

FSugino

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Correction

Sorry guys, I goofed - the iPhone does work with older BMW Bluetooth systems. It turns out I did the convoluted Bluetooth pairing wrong, which is why the two didn't match up. Who knew you had to hold the pairing button down for a second with the ignition off, then continue holding it down for at least five seconds while turning the engine on?

Anyway, the two do work together. Yeehaw!

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Anyone have any insight, based on the existing technology, if the iPhone will be compatible with BMW's handsfree bluetooth option? I know we can't be certain till friday, but I assume it would work the same as a regular bluetooth headset. The only thing that worries me is friends of mine have had to ditch certain models of blackberry to make the system in their car happy.

Thanks!,

Frankie

If you want good answers about BMW integration check E46fanatics (great site for BMW info) They have lots of DIY with great pics and write ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.