Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmbaustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I know one thing I'd like to see is an app that uses the iPhone 3G's GPS to track your movements, and compute how far you've gone (not "as the crow flies"). This would be great for runners and hikers who want to see a map of where they've been (iwth their path hilighted and possibly with timecodes) as well as the total distance they've traveled (again with time codes so speed can be determined as well, if desired).

I have yet to see anything even close to this, though most GPS devices have this ability.

Does anyone know if this is under development somewhere? Any enterprising developer here want to create such an app, geared towards runners and hikers and such?

itsaka

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
I, too, am interested in this type of application. I wish I was more inclined to program because I would like to program it myself. My friend and I were discussing applications for the phone that would do this. We ride bmx bikes around town and would love to have an application that would log the exact routes we take on a given night and go back to see where we went on a map.

Features I would like to see:

1.) Ability to record, through GPS, a route taken.
2.) Display recorded route as an overlay on top of Google Maps
3.) Total distance covered from recorded session
4.) Embed pictures taken with the phone's camera and apply drop-pins for every picture taken through the recorded session. Have the drop-pins mimic the behavior they do within the Maps.app--images would slide in from the right and display like when you are viewing the extended info on a pin within Maps.app

I'm going to stop there. Sorry. Hahaha

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Have you ever seen Trail Runner? What you need is for the iPhone GPS to be able to download to Trail Runner and I think you will have everything you need. It really is a great app, just a shame I don't do enough running to use it properly!

slycrel

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Drop me a request so I don't forget about this here:

http://geopherdemo.blogspot.com

I could probably implement some basic location tracking data. I've got to sift through it anyhow for what I'm doing.

No promises on how soon though. =)

Trail runner would be amazing on the iPhone.

Vertical

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Kentucky
ATV Riding

I too have been looking for an app like this for ATV trails. Where I live, we have TONS of trails, so many in fact that I forget about some of them/forget where they even lead to. Having an app like this to record my trails and save them, (and then let my view them with live tracking later on) would help TREMENDOUSLY.

I'd like to be able to specifiy certain trails when I record them, but overall if the program could just let you hit "Start Recording" and I go ride all of my trails, that would be satisfactory as well. After I'm done riding all of the trails (Or perhaps there could be a save for later to let you continue recording since you may not be able to ride all of the trails in one day) but after you are done, have some kind of save or upload to server or something so that next time I go riding I can see my complete recorded trail on my map with GPS enabled for my current location and at any given time I can see exactly where I am in my trails and where the closest trails to me are, and where they lead. I would love this EVEN MORE for when we take trips to other ATV riding areas and I could record thier trails and find my way back to special places in no time!

Hope you guys can come up with something great. In the meantime I'm going to continue attempting to learn how to program for the iPhone :p

EDIT: Also keep in mind that when riding trails you OFTEN do NOT have access to cellular network or WIFI. So please take this into account when making this sort of program. Perhaps GPS could record your location data/timestamps/etc and you could save that and load the map data or whatever else you need later. (If you even need the map data at all). Alot of times what I do is use wifi to load the google maps that I need into the phone before I leave the house at the hight level that I need and then just go back into maps when I get to that area. Either way I'm sure you can come up with something... :D

Berbie

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
TrailRunner and the iPhone

In the meantime, TrailRunner interfaces with two popular iPhone applications.
iTrail from Justin Davis and
Trails from Felix Lamoureux
Both use a bonjour service to find TrailRunner in a domestic WiFi network.

- berbie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.