Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evanlindman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Title says it all:

I'm on an iPhone 6S with T-Mobile, and my friend has an HTC Droid with AT&T (don't remember the exact phone he has).

When I am in a group message with him I cannot receive any of his text messages (him being the only Droid in the group). But when I just text him, everything works great.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't receive his texts in a group? I have SMS messaging enabled, because I text a lot of people who don't have iPhones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you also have group messaging and MMS messaging enabled?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Maybe his phone isn't properly set up for group MMS messages. I have one sister with a 6+ on VZW and another sister with a Galaxy S6 on AT&T and group messaging works great!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Have you tried force quitting all background apps (including messages) and restarting the phone? I have had this happen, but slightly different, usually I can't text at all, but I can send imessages. Force quitting and reboots typically fix it for me.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would have your friend check the settings on his phone. I'm in a group text with my fiancée and future in-law's. Two of her family members have Galaxy phone's while everyone else has iPhone's. I receive their group messages just fine (we are all on AT&T, but I don't think that should make a difference).

Evanlindman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
I think this might be an issue on my end (maybe even a T-Mobile issue). When I send a text in the group, he can receive mine, I just can't receive his.

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
Could be a T-Mobile issue. I have AT&T and a friend of mine has T-Mobile and last I checked she had an LG G5 but it might be an S7 now. Anyway she will routinely ask me to resend her messages because they will show up as downloading on her end only they won't actually show. I don't have issues texting anyone else as far as I know. Maybe have them check their settings or if possible head down to a T-Mobile store if you can replicate it and see if you can troubleshoot with a rep?

Danxb13

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
Title says it all:

I'm on an iPhone 6S with T-Mobile, and my friend has an HTC Droid with AT&T (don't remember the exact phone he has).

When I am in a group message with him I cannot receive any of his text messages (him being the only Droid in the group). But when I just text him, everything works great.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't receive his texts in a group? I have SMS messaging enabled, because I text a lot of people who don't have iPhones.

So I figured it out. Send your contact card from your profile to the rest of the party members. They don’t have it appropriately set with the information you have. Your profile could be set to approve all iMessages only for email or even the number. I had he same issue. The thread starter (the person who created the thread) seems to be the person with the missing info as well. As soon as hat person got my info, I recived the thread she started.

Let me know if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.