iPhone App to Close All Other Multitasking Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by abercrombie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

abercrombie

Any recommend apps to close all other multitasking apps at once instead of clicking the red minus arrow through tons of open apps? I'm surprised rebooting the device doesn't close 'em all.

2. macrumors 6502a

You JBed with SBSettings?

check out Remove Background SBSettings Toggle Tweak

i use it and it works perfectly.

3. macrumors regular

Remove background, when i double tap statusbar it closes everything, you can also choose what programs it leaves open like ipod etc etc

4. macrumors regular

do i need to jb it yeh ? no other apps without jb ?

5. macrumors regular

I havent heard of one.

6. macrumors 6502a

No AppStore app can do that ! Developers can't create an app that can close other apps.

7. macrumors 68040

Rebooting doesn't clear the "taskbar" because it is simply a list of recently used apps, not a list of open or multitasking-enabled apps. What rebooting does is clear all suspended apps from RAM and terminate any apps that are actually multitasking (GPS, voip, audio). So if you have an app that normally uses fast app switching to return you right where you left it if you switch away from the app and back, rebooting will force it to be cleared from RAM and it will start fresh the next time you run it.

In general, the only apps that you need to manually manage are the few that specifically support multitasking (GPS, audio, VOIP). There is no point to removing all of the other things, as the system will automatically clear the RAM used by a suspended app if the foreground app needs it.

8. macrumors 6502

Like mentioned above, you would need a jailbroken app to do this.

But if it helps any, you can close two,three, or four at a time depending how small your fingers are.

9. macrumors regular

I dont know about you guys but i became very ocd about closing all apps from "multitasking" and romove background helped me out and my ocd went away,yet another reason to JB..

10. macrumors 6502

Haha "Jailbreaking my iPhone cured my OCD!" Thats sig material.

11. macrumors regular

meaby i should write an email to Dr.Phil about this.It would be hit episode :D

12. macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

You can't do that. Unless you find a tweak from Cydia or something

13. macrumors 6502

So I guess you missed the second post on this very page?

14. macrumors 6502

I support the OP regarding the need for an App that closes all Apps in the multitasking tray without jail breaking your phone. Running Co-Pilot (GPS routing) in background kills my battery and it doesn't close until it is removed from the multitasking tray.

15. macrumors 6502

csnplt

Someone could actually write an iPhone app that does this. They'd need to allocate all the memory possible within the app, which would have preference over the background apps. This would cause the background apps to be terminated in favor of the foreground app (the task manager). Once the foreground app would be closed, it's memory would be freed as well.

Technically, I'm sure this would work. Realistically, it's hard to know if Apple would allow something like this.