iPhone app to play songs in car through an FM station??

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by olimits7, Nov 28, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an iPhone app that lets you set to a certain FM station in your car and then allows you to play the songs from your iPhone??

Similar to how iTrip works, but without having to use the actual iTrip add-on hardware...

Thank you,

olimits7

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

No the fm transmitter in the iPhone is disabled and not going to change any time soon.

3. macrumors 6502

Any guesses why they won't activate this feature ?

4. macrumors 6502

Because its an FM receiver...not a transmitter, so it's impossible to enable this capabaility, though it is possible for them to enable the iPhone to receive FM radio.

5. macrumors 6502

I know about the FM receiver capability, I have even seen the demo shown on UK TV a little while ago. But I'm sure I read somewhere that the iPhone also has the hardware capability to transmit music on the FM band for music streaming to car radios etc. Might have been one of the many rumors though.

6. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

As of right now, there is no software-based way to do this. If you want to play music through your car's stereo, you'll have to get an FM transmitter.

Or if you want better sound, go to Best Buy and have them install and iPod dock in your car. Costs around $60.

7. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wasn't a rumor it was a fact the 3gs's radio chip has the ability to receive and send. The soonest I see it being enabled is when the 4g comes out just to add a little longevity to the 3gs.