iPhone Application Installer

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Installer.app promises to provide an easy interface to install iPhone applications over EDGE or Wifi.

The iPhone installable application does require you to go through installation process at least once to get their installer on your phone. Fortunately, they are offering what they describe as a "single command" installer to jump start the process:
    It's in Beta and comes with no warranty, so proceed with caution.

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

ppc_michael

Amazing how far efforts have come! Absolutely shameful that this wasn't something Apple included.

What's "Zune2" in that screen shot?

3. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Counting down to the exploit... 3...

4. (L)
    macrumors 6502

What does this mean?

I want to see Skype work on iPhone (no more bills!). Would this installer thingamajigger install Skype? Or no?

5. macrumors 603

Markleshark

No.

It makes it easier to install iPhone applications, not make all applications installable.

6. macrumors member

All well and good but where are all the apps? what is zune2 too? Is there a one stop shop where we can see all the apps currently available.

7. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I don't think it's shameful at all. Remember, this is a Version One-Oh product here, and it's unreasonable to expect a fully polished development environment on day 1. Apple obviously hears the noise we're making and even before the iPhone was released, they showed us it was at least feasible to make additional apps, but there's absolutely no point in bragging that iPhone runs OSX if developers can't make use of it, and in January, the Steve made quite a fuss about that.

Just as Dashcode wasn't available the day widgets showed up, or Xcode wasn't really around until OSX got rolling, a "Phonecode" or whatever is surely in the works, with all the good stuff like an interface library. It'll be draggy-droppy and allow you to code in ObjC or Java or even HTML. It'll have hooks into the rest of the phone so you can talk to the address book, the mapping software, the internet, the battery, the wireless radio, the EDGE network, the camera, the orientation sensor, the multitouch screen, the music libary, the album artwork, the speaker, the photo library, the voicemail, the Settings control panel, and all the other stuff squarely outside of the relm of a damned web2.0 "application", which as we've seen so far, is mostly tracking applications for web2.0 apps.

8. macrumors member

I agree – it'll come in due time. Most developers seem to accept that for granted, and would've happily taken a "The DevKit is coming soon" explanation when the iPhone was released. I think where most of them became disgruntled is when Steve offered the cop-out "Oh look, you can create web apps!" response. (Never mind how very good we've gotten at making web apps tailored to the iPhone.)

For those looking for a more detailed explanation, this Installer.app basically seems to simplify this whole process here, where users would've had to utilize a lot of manual code prompts, some SSH action, and other technical mumbo-jumbo.

9. macrumors regular

Now all I need is for someone to tell me the most simple way to install roms into the other wise useless nes.app.....

10. macrumors member

I know, this is the one thing i can't figure out.

11. macrumors regular

What exploit? It has already been cracked. Have you not seen the NES emulator?

Anyways, this is good but what we really need is a good GUI program like iFuntastic so you could just drag and drop applications. Maybe a virtual iPhone and you drag the apps on there (therefore seeing what it would look like)? I want iChat!

12. macrumors member

This script worked like a charm with a ppc mac and iPhone firmware ver. 1.1. This little script and app will make a lot of people happy!

13. macrumors newbie

Posted by The General in another thread (read the stuff in the Applications forums on here)

------------------
    If you have Installer.app installed, run it and install "Community Resources"

Then once you have that installed, more programs will show up that you can install. Scroll down to OpenSSH and install that. Then install BSD Subsystem.

Restart your phone and connect it to a WiFi router. Go to Settings -> Wifi -> And hit the little blue "(>)" next to the network you're connected to. Write down your IP address listed there.

Download Cyberduck if you're on a Mac, or Filezilla if you're on Windows.

In Cyberduck, hit "Open Connection" and select the "SFTP" protocol. Type your IP address into the address bar, then for the user name and password it's most likely root and dottie, respectively. Port should say 22. Hit connect.

If all goes well, you should be browsing your iPhone's files in no time. Just go to /var/root/Media and create a directory called ROMs, and one inside that called NES. Put your ROMs in that NES folder.

For instance...

/var/root/Media/ROMs/NES/Super\ Mario\ 3.nes

14. macrumors newbie

I think this is what SFTP is for. Which you can get through the Installer.app.

15. macrumors newbie

Can't get it to work

Been trying everything under the sun to get this to work.

I tried this iPhoneinstaller and It seemed to work at first it downloaded the update but then it said it couldn't find the bootstrapper program

/Users/*My Computer's name removed*/Desktop/iPhoneInstaller/get_installer.sh: line 40: ./bootstrapper: No such file or directory

So I dropped Bootstraper into the terminal and it would try to update the files but it would stop. and now it will only hang with

(privateFunctions) Architecture: powerpc
    0 Looking for iPhone...
    1 Sending Files...
    Failed: (0) afcWriteFile: Cant read file

Anyone know what's up?

16. macrumors regular

thanks, I missed that in the other thread...gonna try this later, lets hope all goes well

17. macrumors member

i suggest doing a restore on your iPhone, deleting the installer, download again, try again.

18. macrumors regular

Great app.

This installer program is very exciting. It's basically a package management util for iPhone. Making new programs and getting them out to people will be a snap now.

Highly recommended. Hack on!

19. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

No, no, no... I mean the exploit that starts pulling malware over the Edge connection and sticking it in your phone. That's one installation vector I don't want open-- particularly by a third party...

20. macrumors 601

You realize that the people who develop these programs for the iPhone are also iPhone users, right? The code is open source. The repositories are on an "at will" basis. You choose to add sources to your list. Unless you add a repository manually, that isn't checked and maintained by the makers of Installer.app, which right now isn't possible, you aren't going to be getting any "malware."

It's irrational paranoia. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors regular

woodbutcher

His paranoia stem from owning too many MS Windows computers

22. macrumors member

actually the installer is closed source which may warrant some paranoia.

23. macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

24. macrumors regular

It figures this would happen, but now after I did all this Apple released 1.0.2

So my question is does any one know how 1.0.2 reacts to an iPhone with the installer app? I am guessing I will need to restore then start over once 1.0.2 is installed since I installed a bunch of stuff out of the installer app.

25. macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

That is correct. The installer app works fine with 1.0.2. and it will prompt you with option to that version.

But you will have to restore and start over.