iPhone as universal remote control?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kavika411, Jan 24, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you for reading this. I don't ask this rhetorically; I'm interested. Is there any reason why the second or third generation iPhone couldn't incorporte the infra-red or radio signal necessary, as well as the interface, to become your universal remote control? Likewise, is there any reason it couldn't incorporate the signal/interface necessary to run your lights, thermostat, security system, etc. like that X-10 technology (I believe) already does? Perhaps these are foregone conclusions, or perhaps there is already a smartphone that does this stuff; I don't follow it enough to know. But it seems to me that surely we won't have separate remotes, thermostats, home security interfaces, digital jukeboxes and telephones in five-years time. I like to think Apple is in the best position to create such a device. I appreciate anyone's thoughts.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think that would be the intended use for an iphone. it's the take-with-you go-anywhere internet communicator/phone/ipod, not a household device.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I don't see why a 3rd party software application ike Sailing Clicker couldn't turn the iPhone into a remote control of sorts. Not sure why you would want it to be though.

4. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You make a good point. I don't have a particular reason for wanting the iPhone to be a remote control, but I do have a belief that in five or ten years time, we won't have various electronic devices - remotes, cell phones, MP3 players, remote controls for lights/thermostats - side-by-side on the coffee table. Good-bad-right-or-wrong, it seems, at least to me, that it's a given someone will unify all of those devices with a manageable interface, like that of the iPhone. I'm not saying Apple would necessarily be interested in doing it, but - to use the Gretsky (sp?) quote Steve Jobs sited - surely that is where the puck will be in the near future.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I don't see Apple adding RFID to the iPhone. The tech has been around forever and is really slow. Granted, changing the channel doesn't require much bandwidth, but I think Apple would rather use other methods to get things done. So maybe we won't have a remote control, but file transfer by wireless? Or digital wallet by bluetooth? I can't wait to see the iPhone store on iTunes. I'm sure Apple will come up with many useful, elegant apps to use.

Plus there's the "internet device" angle. Just about anything you can do on the web you can do on the iPhone. I know there are some systems that allow to control the heat and light in your home over the web.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, I'd be surprised if Apple didn't consider further uses of the device (once it finally sees the light of day).

It would be great if you could just browse a list of programmes on your iPhone, select which you want to watch (and be reminded of) and set which ones you want to record.

Some services (such as Sky) already enable you to do this via phone anyway, and would look great on the larger screen of an iPhone.

7. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

how to make the iphone in to an universal remote control

1.) set up a computer with an interface to all the stuff you want to control remotely. For instance, put an infrared transmitter on it that can send infrared signals to your TV or stereo etc. Or hook it up to a coffee machine. The possibilites are endless.

2.) set up a webserver on this computer, that is wired to the remote control stuff and let iPhone access this through wifi and the webbrowser

8. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Wow, Dr. Maybe. IF you are serious - that doing all of that is possible - cool. If you are not serious, cool anyway.

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'd be excited if I could control my Mac effectively over Bluetooth; but I'm actually pretty happy with the remote I have for my stereo, TV, and DVD players. I don't think Apple will add infrared to the iPhone, but hopefully they will have something in the works as far as a computer remote goes.

10. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Last sentence of today's media hub post:

"Other reports on this same patent speculate that Apple may be thinking of using the iPhone as a remote control for this sort of media hub."

Who's your daddy? ;)

11. Jp13 macrumors newbie

This seeems possible using some of the new features coming in 3.0 software. You will have the ability to plug accessories into the 30 pin connector and download the software for them from the App store. An infrared sensor perhaps?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not spend $5-10 on a Universal remote instead?

13. scootaru macrumors 6502

I've done a little Crestron programming and this sounds sort of what you are talking about. It requires an expensive controller and some other hardware, but you can control a/v equipment, lighting, and pretty much any electronic device utilizing the relays built into the controller. The a/v equipment can be controlled by either serial communication or using an external IR emitter. The controller would be connected to your LAN and a webpage would be set up to control everything.

I think you are right about not having a bunch of remotes lying around, but I don't think the universal remote is the solution as applejuice suggested. I rather am thinking along the same lines as you and that a single device will be used to control the things we use every day and the commands would be made via our home network. I figure one day, everything plugged into an outlet, will literally be connected to your home network.

14. The General macrumors 601

Plug an IR blaster into a Mac, write an app that controls the IR blaster over wifi.

Done.

15. steve knight macrumors 68000

steve knight

hey it can be fun go over to someones house I set up my pda to the right brand of tv and really drove my brother nuts. he ws beating the remote on the furniture and freaking out every time the channel changed for no reason.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I use my iPhone to control my Apple TV. It is awesome.

I can search for things by typing them in, I get preview icons for things when I scroll, and I can scan up and down video timelines the same as you can in the iPod app.

It's easily 100x better than any universal remote I've ever seen.

I agree with the O.P. I'd love for someone to make an IR-to-USB device that plugs into my Mac and comes with an iPhone app to control it.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree it is pretty cool.
    But to carry around a plug in IR for the iphone everywhere and programming it sounds like a pain.
    Also TV universall\remotes get abused alot. I seem to drop the remote almost every day, spill things on it etc....
    Wouldnt want to risk an expensive device like that in order to switch channels or adjust the volume IMO.
    But if you guys are into it Im sure someone would make something like that available. Alot weirder tech stuff exist out there, why not :D

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't know about you, but my DVR, DVD player, and Apple TV all stay connected to the same TV. I'm not carrying them around, so I don't see any reason why I'd have to carry the IR plug anywhere.

19. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow this thread fails

why the hell would apple include an IR port on their iphone

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So...I'm guessing you decided to skip the reading of the thread and just comment on the title?

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Clearly the answer is to throw away all your stuff and buy a WiFi enabled TV, blu-ray, etc.

;)

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

i read the thread, I also noted that you have a delorean as your icon

Sorry grandpa , its time to move on

bluetooth > IR

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

One of the things I miss about my older smartphones is the IR output.

Samsung even used to include a universal remote control app on theirs.

Pretty handy if you're in a bar and want to control the TV, too ;)

That said, I think WiFi or BT controllers are the way to go around the home, since they don't depend on line of sight.

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

25. kage207 macrumors 6502a