Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
This was helpful as my original iPhone REALLY fails sometimes to last a day now. :(

vinathi

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Do background apps have an effect on my iPhone battery? Can I just leave them open or do I constantly need to be closing background apps?

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Do background apps have an effect on my iPhone battery? Can I just leave them open or do I constantly need to be closing background apps?

You usually don't need to close them. Most apps close themselves or operate in very efficient ways when in the background.

Last edited:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I am just very disappointed with iPhone 4S compared to 3GS. I see six hours usage even when meticulously babying the damn thing.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I am just very disappointed with iPhone 4S compared to 3GS. I see six hours usage even when meticulously babying the damn thing.

Sounds like something is wrong. My Dad's 4S seems to do a lot better than that. Do you have a local Genius Bar? Did you try an exchange?

CupertinoKidIL7

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Just lol, too much advice from clowns on here!

Few things. I can't remember my source, but I can remember reading that USB power isn't as consistent as a wall charge. If anyone has a source, that would be great. Can't seem to find it. If we can find a good source that states that USB charging is as good as a wall charge, I'll edit.

Secondly, if you're computer goes to sleep, your iPhone won't charge.

I did clarify. The graph was to show what I was clarifying heh.

"Again, use WiFi for browsing instead of 3G OR EDGE. Otherwise, use 3G instead of EDGE. EDGE doesn't save battery power. Due to the increased amount of time EDGE takes to access a web page, you will actually use up more power with EDGE, than 3G. Complicated sentence made simple: 3G > EDGE for web browsing. EDGE > 3G for voice calls. Hopefully, Apple will release a software update has the option for your phone to set this automatically, but until then, we'll have to do it manually."

If you want to break it down even further, you get about 2x the speed with 3G over EDGE. Simple math means that if you browse the same amount of sites with EDGE, as you do with 3G, you'll need to be using your iPhone for about twice as long. If you look at the graph, you'll see that the difference in battery life is not 2x as long with EDGE, you're only saving about 40 minutes. Get it?

I'm thinking I should make an equation so people can see how it works. I was hoping the graph would solve that :).

Are you kidding me!! :eek: , I know this is a very old post but you sound like such a clown!! don't mean to flame.

To you, because it takes twice as long on your iPhone using Edge to load up pages as it would on 3G means battery drain ultimately would be more on Edge is such a narrow minded and ill-informed way of thinking that leads to conclusions like the above. The most obvious and blatant fact is that you have not taken into account the actual battery drain in loading a single web-page using 3G as opposed to actual battery drain in loading the same using Edge, alone Nullifies any interpretations of the graphs or other claims using them as a basis you may have..

Just posting this in case of any readers that would be misled by your seemingly most logical conclusion of 3G vs Edge Battery drain..
Just because it takes you twice as long using Edge to load the same number of pages as it would 3G does in no way mean battery drain would be more using Edge! i.e. The power required to load up one web page using 3G is not proportionally equal to the power used to load up two pages using Edge.

Reality is even if, using 3G, a single web page may load up to 2X or in some cases greater than 3X faster than when using Edge, Battery drain will still be minimal on Edge as it requires overall less resources to load up pages even at snails pace!

EDGE doesn't save battery power. Due to the increased amount of time EDGE takes to access a web page, you will actually use up more power with EDGE, than 3G. Complicated sentence made simple: 3G > EDGE for web browsing. EDGE > 3G for voice calls. Hopefully, Apple will release a software update has the option for your phone to set this automatically, but until then, we'll have to do it manually."

Probably why Apple will not release any software update to be in line with YOU..!! Apple has stated countless times, you will get more productivity or equal, NOT less using Edge over 3G on a session.. easy as pie, google it!!

An apple representative or any in-the-apple-loop (no pan intended) knowing individual may pinpoint any inaccuracies here.. i'll be glad to edit or retrace anything wrong presented with official data contradicting above statements :)!

A paraphrase & direct quote from an article goes, in-spite the speed on 3G, Battery life will mean that your surfing experience is almost half as long as it would be on Edge!, "Granted, you can load pages faster in the same amount of time, but you'd have to load pages around twice as fast on average to equal the same amount of productivity."

In the Article the guys got 3G speeds of up to 10X faster than Edge which they admitted can not happen in the real world browsing experience judging by what Facebook & Digg got, 3G was not fast enough to balance out the additional power draw it requires. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2566)

I'm thinking I should make an equation so people can see how it works. I was hoping the graph would solve that :).

would love to see how this " equation " of yours would be, if in keeping wiht fact, it doesnt take into account the blatant facts above with your interpretation of 3G vs Edge Battery drain.

Hope that helps anyone who read through this, Last thing we want is people taking whatever anyone posts with a few buzz words like, "equation"! even though funny lol! :apple:

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you kidding me!! :eek: , I know this is a very old post but you sound like such a clown!! don't mean to flame.

To you, because it takes twice as long on your iPhone using Edge to load up pages as it would on 3G means battery drain ultimately would be more on Edge is such a narrow minded and ill-informed way of thinking that leads to conclusions like the above. The most obvious and blatant fact is that you have not taken into account the actual battery drain in loading a single web-page using 3G as opposed to actual battery drain in loading the same using Edge, alone Nullifies any interpretations of the graphs or other claims using them as a basis you may have..

Just posting this in case of any readers that would be misled by your seemingly most logical conclusion of 3G vs Edge Battery drain..
Just because it takes you twice as long using Edge to load the same number of pages as it would 3G does in no way mean battery drain would be more using Edge! i.e. The power required to load up one web page using 3G is not proportionally equal to the power used to load up two pages using Edge.

Reality is even if, using 3G, a single web page may load up to 2X or in some cases greater than 3X faster than when using Edge, Battery drain will still be minimal on Edge as it requires overall less resources to load up pages even at snails pace!

Probably why Apple will not release any software update to be in line with YOU..!! Apple has stated countless times, you will get more productivity or equal, NOT less using Edge over 3G on a session.. easy as pie, google it!!

An apple representative or any in-the-apple-loop (no pan intended) knowing individual may pinpoint any inaccuracies here.. i'll be glad to edit or retrace anything wrong presented with official data contradicting above statements :)!

A paraphrase & direct quote from an article goes, in-spite the speed on 3G, Battery life will mean that your surfing experience is almost half as long as it would be on Edge!, "Granted, you can load pages faster in the same amount of time, but you'd have to load pages around twice as fast on average to equal the same amount of productivity."

In the Article the guys got 3G speeds of up to 10X faster than Edge which they admitted can not happen in the real world browsing experience judging by what Facebook & Digg got, 3G was not fast enough to balance out the additional power draw it requires. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2566)

would love to see how this " equation " of yours would be, if in keeping wiht fact, it doesnt take into account the blatant facts above with your interpretation of 3G vs Edge Battery drain.

Hope that helps anyone who read through this, Last thing we want is people taking whatever anyone posts with a few buzz words like, "equation"! even though funny lol! :apple:
While I agree with the general idea behind what you posted--there's definitely way more to it than simply data speeds--I think there's still something to be said about time of use and battery effect: if, let's say, you made it a point to read every article posted on MacRumors over the past week, including all the comments, and let's say it took you half an hour on 3G to do that, while if you were on EDGE it would have clearly taken you at least somewhat longer, let's say even just 15 minutes more, clearly you have 15 minutes more of phone usage (which, among a number of things, includes the screen simply being on, which is one of the noticeable drains on the battery), surely you are using up at least somewhat more battery.

Now, is the difference really noticeable? That's hard to say in all cases. But if you do that often enough and/or perhaps do something more like let's say watch a bunch of YouTube videos--which might have been an even better example actually--then the simple difference of being on a slower connection vs. a faster one will still play a battery difference (even if there's no specific proportional relationship that can be explained with some equation).

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
@ Cupertino

"3G vs. EDGE Browsing Explained (using the iPhone 3G)
(Web Pages Accessed Are Theoretical)
3G Enabled Web Browsing = 197 Minutes (Before battery is depleted) | 394 Web Pages Accessed
3G Disabled (EDGE) Web Browsing = 243 Minutes (Before battery is depleted) | 243 Web Pages Accessed

The numbers above are based on the assumption that it takes 1 minute to fully load a web page using EDGE and 30 seconds to fully load a web page using 3G. (Based off of Apple's claim that 3G is 2x as fast as EDGE, which seems to hold up in real world tests)

As you can see, enabling 3G will allow you to load about 60% more web pages per charge cycle than with EDGE enabled, even though using EDGE conserves battery life."

FYI: It's 2013

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.