"Iphone cannot be synced. A duplicate file name is specified"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wildgift, Jun 16, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

This is the message i got when i synced my 3g with itunes 9.2

any ideas?

2. macrumors newbie

exactly the same here. :confused:

Mark

3. macrumors newbie

Same here

Having the same issue here syncing my 32 GB 3G iPhone with iPhoneOS 3.1.3 on MacOS X 10.6.4 using iTunes 9.2.

No issue syncing my iPad.

4. macrumors newbie

Solution!

Here's the relevant thread from the Apple Support forums: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11683771&tstart=0

The issue is with iToner. It modifies a specific file within iTunes. It must be uninstalled/reinstalled after the iTunes upgrade in order to restore normal function. Once I did that, everything synced normally again.

Hope this is helpful.

5. macrumors newbie

I don't remember installing iToner ever. I own WireTap Studio though, maybe this was thrown in on that install but I don't remember WireTap Studio asking if iToner should be installed either.

Anyway, downloaded iToner from http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/. Installed, launched iToner and then iTunes 9.2 was able to sync. Next, threw iToner and all the supporting files, plist, plugin, etc. into the trash.

==

6. macrumors newbie

WireTap Studio seems to be the culprit for me too.

I installed the free trial of iToner and that seemed to be the trick. Thanks!

7. macrumors regular

MDMac

I'm having this same problem with my iPhone 4. I'm on Windows 7 x64 though. I've never installed iToner in my life (it isn't available on windows IIRC). Any suggestions?