iPhone Capacity Bar showing 10GB of "Other"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ngenerator, Jul 26, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Topic, what should I do? It won't let me sync, as there is only about 2GB of free space on it and my music and movies are well over that amount. Idk how the previous songs and videos got changed to "Other", and I would rather not have to restore and JB again, that'd be a pain. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Re-connect and restore

Try disconnecting, restarting your computer and re-connecting on a different USB port. then If that doesn't work, restore you iPhone and set up as a new iphone, not from back up.
    Hope this helps,
    Nick O

3. Gee
    macrumors 65816

That's strange - I have exactly the same problem. I have 10.35GB of 'Other' listed on the phone, and all my music has disappeared.

OP, did resolve the issue? Did you just restore as the guy above suggested? I hope it's some rogue app writing enormous log files (hmmmm, skype?), and not my flash chips on the way out....

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Idk what it was, I didn't wait for the first reply before I just restored, then re-JB the phone. I'm not one to try restoring to a JB file, so I always start fresh as a "new phone." In the end, it's all back to normal, but it took at least an hour to get everything back from Cydia

5. Gee
    macrumors 65816

Mine's not jailbroken, so it's not related to that. Guess I'll just restore.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Gee, did you update to 3.01? Mine did it after I updated for the SMS fix, so I'm assuming it has to be related to that.

7. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think 3.0.1 itself would have anything to do with it. It's probably the mere fact of doing a restore as part of 3.0.1 that did it somehow.

8. Gee
    macrumors 65816

9. Gee
    macrumors 65816

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Hmm, weird. Oh well, it's been fixed anyways :D

I'm pretty happy that it's so freaking easy to do a restore on this thing, just click a button and go play videogames for 15-30 mins. Thanks for your help everyone!