iPhone Car Chargers - Are they safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 0wnage, Sep 11, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Was just wondering, I recently bought a DLO Car Charger, and was wondering a few things.

-Are DLO Car Chargers 'smart' car chargers?
    -Do car charges (DLO) do damage to iPhone batteries?
    -Is there any reason why I should avoid using a car charger?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. macrumors 6502

my car charger raped me :(

ya they're safe...

3. macrumors regular

smokescreen220

been using the same griffin car charger for at least 2 yrs....

4. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

Is this a serious question? I got my car charger from a Circle K for $9 and it works great.

5. macrumors 6502a

Your cigarette lighter outlet is on a protected circuit.

That's what fuses are for--to protect electronic items and your car's electrical system.

6. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Been using the same iPhone charger that I got from AT&T with my 3GS and it hasn't done anything negative, so yes, car chargers are fine.

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors member

I use the Schosche dual-usb charger in my car and while it's not the smallest charger out there, it charges two iPhones or an iphone and an iPad at the same time quite happily - when I don't need to be charging the iPad, I find the iPad outlet seems to charge the iPhone a lot quicker than the 1amp port.

Also, is it just me or does ItsJustafnPhone's screen look knackered in that screenshot above?

9. macrumors newbie

i m using same charger given by AT&T no problems so far...

I think car chargers are safe :):)

10. macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I have had the same charger (it also has a USB port) for almost two years. No problems. Also, at the same time, I can charge both my iPad and iPhone.

However, a car nerd friend told me, when my vehicle was not running, it was better if I didn't leave the charger in the socket. I guess it's not good for the car's battery?

11. macrumors regular

hey thats pretty cool.. i bought set where came 30 pin cable ,cigarette charger and normal charger it was 15€

12. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

D-LO chargers work fine for your phone. I used one with my 3G however I'm not sure if it'll work the same for an iPhone 4. I had numerous issues with the D-LO chargers blowing their fuse. It happened to me about 5-6 times. Eventually I got sick of it and bought a Griffin charger instead. There was no damage to my battery on my 3G after using the car charger so you're safe there. As far as needing/using a car charger, that's up to you however it does come in handy every once in awhile. I will recommend that you not get a cheap charger off eBay as those will most likely cause some damage to your phone battery from my experiences.

13. macrumors member

just like what everybody is saying, my rule of thumb is do not order cheap knockoffs for anything electric related (batteries, chargers, etc). Go for the typical brand names (belkin, etc) and you should be safe.

14. macrumors regular

Is this the same as this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Micro-USB-Adaptor-F8Z445EA/dp/B002C3AFHG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Its name suggests micro USB so will this work with the iphone 4? Will the iphone's mains charger lead fit and work ok?

15. macrumors 6502a

Same car-charger I have. I bought mine at WalMart or Best Buy (can't remember), but mine came with the cord too.

16. macrumors 68020

I scored an older model Schoshe that is very similar for $8.00 from Amazon. One of my best scores for functionality versus price. The Schoshe was necessary given that ones with built in cords don't fit Apple's Bumper.

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 6502

I've been using an Incase car charger for my iPhone 4 and I have no problems. It even is a 2amp charger so it charges my iPhone verrrry quickly :)

19. macrumors member

True but at least you can return your defective products and they will honor your purchase. I have more confidence in a brand company in the way they QA their products. Even though they all come from China but at least you know they will stand by their products.

If you buy a dud online you most likely won't get your money back.

20. macrumors member

i got the same one too except the model is F8Z446 which came with the 30-pin cable. i bought it from amazon.

21. macrumors 6502a

Glad a lot of people are using the belkin one :)

well worh the $15-$20 for a brand name charger