iPhone casts a hex on games consoles

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol these type of threads need to stop

a touch screen will never take off for a gaming platform

3. macrumors 604

jmann

Never say never. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

in this case never means never

just like square "tires" will never be better than round tires lol

as long as a touch screen is the only means of input, then it wont take off

5. macrumors 601

I recall that a lot of people said the same thing about the Wii - that it would flop without a traditional controller.

You can never say never and be 100%

6. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

what's stopping someone from making a traditional controller interface for the iphone/touch? it could include extra battery, shock/vibrate and would work as a protective case, something a lot of people use anyway.

7. macrumors P6

dukebound85

apple is stopping that

8. macrumors G3

NT1440

Uh, no they aren't. There are at least 2 physical controlpads being developed RIGHT NOW. They're just from small time companies so its going to take some time.

9. macrumors P6

dukebound85

To my knowledge, apple has not released the sdk to implemenet the use of the dock controller so yes, apple is restricitng it

if it were allowed, you can bet they would already have been released...

10. macrumors G3

NT1440

Um, they did in 3.0. Did you watch the keynote at all?

Why do you think there are all those new transmitters and such that take advantage of it?

11. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thats news to me and google isnt saying it is implemented

you have a link? as i dont want to watch a whole keynote

seems you are right, however, whether apple allows such apps and whatnot is to be decided as i know this concept has been around since forever it seems with the iphone
    http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/iphone-sdk-31-beta-2-and-iphone-os-31-beta-2-released/

12. macrumors G3

NT1440

Sorry I don't have a link, but steve very specifically mentioned it and showed it off as a way to make medical devices, receivers, etc work with the sdk. Does that ring a bell at all? Sorry I can't find anything specific on google.

13. macrumors member

CalCanuck

14. macrumors 6502

Ignorance is a bliss.

15. macrumors 601

sammich

If you'll cast your mind back to the time before 3.0 came out, there were some articles regarding Apple wanting to rid themselves of their bulky POS PDA system and convert to an iPod Touch instead. But they couldn't because the iPhone OS didn't support external dock connector controls (not to say that they couldn't have made these private API's before 3.0 came out).

Now that 3.0 has been out for a while, Apple has only just gotten around to getting rid of it, as per the recent MR news article.

16. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I disagree.

The standard gamepad layout of pad to the lower left and buttons in the same formation on the right is perfectly playable. Play earthworm jim on an iPhone or Assassins Creed, it's just like a gamepad and once you get used to not having the feel of actually pressing buttons etc... It's perfectly natural

17. macrumors 6502

Umm, my wii controllers have buttons on them :confused:

18. macrumors G5

nagromme

There's no question that games can work great on a touchscreen and/or tilt. Some kinds (RTS, path-based) are better with a touchscreen (especially without the need for a stylus). Others benefit from analog control--such as tilt--which other handheld consoles lack. And yes, still others benefit from physical buttons (but can still be fun without). It's very short-sighted to pick some specific control scheme and say that gaming without that one particular thing is not going to take off. Early consoles had tall joysticks and people said that today's two-hand controllers would never take off. People said the Wii would never take off. People said the DS would never take off.

They did. And so did the iPod Touch and iPhone. Gaming has long since taken off on mobile OS X.

Meanwhile, the app store, dev system and multiplayer-everywhere (iPhone) are huge advantages over a PSP or DS. As is the fact that Apple's game players take up no pocket space: they're built into the music player, phone or pocket PC you were going to carry around anyway. Not so with a PSP or DS.

Then add physical buttons--which, as has been pointed out, is very possible and allowed by Apple--if you see fit.

It's still not a traditional controller--find an Xbox or PS3 and compare the controller to the Wii wand. And some did predict Wii would fail to catch on as a result. It even has lesser graphics power, and yet it DID catch on.

I don't think buttons are the key to Wii's success. I think the key is NEW ways of interaction that happen to actually be a lot of fun--much like the iPod/iPhone.

19. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's done a fine job so far. It is a new challenge - and some game genres which require accurate and quick input are probably impractical - but that won't prevent it succeeding as a platform.

Plus, given Apple's new-found interest in marketing the iPod Touch primarily as a games platform, perhaps they'll release a gamepad (or gamepad & battery booster) accessory? Never say never..