iPhone charger cable frayed, is it covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Jul 1, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hi, I purchased an iphone 3Gs less than a year ago (September 2009) and I noticed the cable I use to charge the phone is frayed and about to break. I was wondering if the cable is covered under the standard 1 year Apple warranty that is offered on the iPhone. I'm a little surprised that the cable broke considering I've been very careful with it and continue to wrap it up with the same creases/folds as it has had since day one. Below is a (fuzzy) picture of the cable in question. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors member

I had the same issue with the cable that came with my 3G, took it back to the Apple Store and they replaced it.

3. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

It's a known issue that's not technically covered after 90 days, but it depends on the Genius you get.

I've had mine replaced twice (once with the 3G, once with the 3GS), but it was because I was there for a different issue that definitely was covered, brought the cord in and asked nicely, telling them I knew it wasn't covered, but I'd appreciate a bit of help. ;) They appreciated the low pressure request and replaced it both times.

It can't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if they say no.

4. macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

They're practically given away on eBay for a song and a dance.

5. macrumors 6502a

I luckily got mine replaced once. The genius asked the manager and he was a a$$ about it! Basically saying it was my fault. So it really does depend on who you get!

6. macrumors member

Good to see peeps have had success replacing their cables. I'll give it a shot.

I came here to see if frayed cords can cause the iPhone to reboot?

As soon as I noticed it, while it probably had been frayed at least 24 hrs, it rebooted maybe 30 min after fiddling around with it.

7. macrumors regular

Yes, you just have to be persistent in order to get it swapped out...

The USB + headphones are covered under the 1 year warranty