Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I think those of us that spend a lot of times in business meetings, like myself, will love this. It is a "no no" to pull out your cell phone to check messages, calendar events, act. even if it is important (family wise). This would be a great way for me to be a bit more sneaky at work.:)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I mean this with no animosity whatsoever, but what would the purpose be?

How would people use this when an iPhone or iPad is most likely really close?

Just curious. I think the concept is neat, but I don't quite get it.

Nope you get it all right...

If you need your smart phone near you for this watch to use it to get all these updates, why the F don't you just use your...wait for it...SMART PHONE. Most of their uses, the iPhone already has..either bike mount, running arm band, etc.

You're completely on point dude..I said the same thing to my buddy who donated..I said to him...

"..So you need your smartphone near this to work right?"

"Yeah"

"So um...why don't you just use your smartphone then?"

Silence...

----------

I think those of us that spend a lot of times in business meetings, like myself, will love this. It is a "no no" to pull out your cell phone to check messages, calendar events, act. even if it is important (family wise). This would be a great way for me to be a bit more sneaky at work.:)

You're still going to be fussing with the watch and people will notice you fussing with it or staring at it a lot. Either way you'll look even worse because someone in a meeting always checking their watch is a bad bad thing..makes you look bored, defensive or looks like you want the meeting to be over.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
How is this different to other iWatch type kickstarter/other crowd funding type projects? (Genuine)

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I think the concept is great but I think alot of people will be dissapointed with this product and the returns could bankrupt this startup.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This would be great for my wife. She always has her phone in her bag (like when shopping), and never hears it due to other noise around the place. With the incoming call making the watch vibrate, she won't miss the call! Brilliant.

I also checked out that "I'm" watch - far too expensive ...

Would your wife be caught dead wearing this watch...?:p

Last edited:

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
This would pair nicely with a Galaxy Note (obviously hidden away in a giant backpack).

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Have you forgotten, it wasn't Gadget, but his niece Penny who had the really cool watch!

That thing was able to wirelessly connect to just about anything—hack into critical systems, reprogram killer robots, that sort of thing. Why Dr Claw didn't realise that world domination was just a matter of getting that watch away from a 10-year-old girl is beyond me!

I still maintain that Dr Claw and the Police Chief are one and the same!

----------

I got me one a week ago, was one of the early pledgers when they were still at 300K, it's rising so freaking fast. Can't wait to receive it ;Q

You might want to get a bucket of chill pills - we're not going to get them until August at the earliest, probably a bit later due to the sheer number of orders.

I just hope they are delivered in time for Christmas, as I ordered two - one for myself, one for my brother in-law.

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Pity some Chinese company who has seen all this publicity will have one out this summer which will do texts...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Pebble uses vibrating alerts to tell the wearer of incoming calls, emails, calendar alerts, Facebook and Twitter messages, weather alerts and more.

Isn't that what the iPhone notifications are for? my phone makes a noise or vibrates and I know I have a text, call or other (fb, twitter etc..)

Surely this watch means I have to look at two devices, (first the watch, and then go and use my phone anyway which too tells me the same info, so that I may respond.)

Tell you what here's my invention. Why don't I create a way that you skip process A (look at watch) and goto process B (use phone) and simplify in an Apple'esque way the whole deal.

It doesn't cost me $150 too.

Seriously what am I missing? :confused:

Edit. Re-watched (see what I did there) and even the idea of your hands busy that you can't look at your phone whilst he's washing the dishes does make much sense?

In the video he demonstrates the supposed 'usefulness' of this phone whilst washing the dishes. So he's putting an electronic gadget pretty much in a disaster zone, how long in a 'real world scenario' would it be before the phone gets accidentally dipped / dunked into the dishwater and breaks.

If that is a compelling reason to buy this product, we have found the chewbacca defence for nonsensical products.

Last edited:

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
this device is using abandoned personal real estate

Can I get a quote on a mortgage for this 'personal real estate'?

----------

Tell you what here's my invention. Why don't I create a way that you skip process A (look at watch) and goto process B (use phone) and simplify in an Apple'esque way the whole deal.

It Doesn't cost me $150 too.

The way you talk, I say this watch is perfect for you!

FFX

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Old

A friend of mine had a similar watch for his Sony Ericsson two years ago, nothing new here..

//FFX

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Because the media cried out "privacy issues" when Apple collected location information to triangulate positions and locate cell phone towers, or having to deal with 3rd party developers abusing system access by uploading the entire photo library of users when giving an app access.

So your saying Apple are being paranoid, Android OS gives access fine to this feature. Think it's time the media and Apple relaxed in that case?

Also most of the people commenting on here should go and watch the video and read the Kickstarter webpage, it answers all your questions. You only have to go and look.

They've now hit well over 4 mil, waiting for the next update from them....

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Have you forgotten, it wasn't Gadget, but his niece Penny who had the really cool watch!

That thing was able to wirelessly connect to just about anything—hack into critical systems, reprogram killer robots, that sort of thing. Why Dr Claw didn't realise that world domination was just a matter of getting that watch away from a 10-year-old girl is beyond me!

I drank all memories of the 80's away in the 90's. :p

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
hahaha, someone voted my post down already? What you mad it doesn't have a fruit logo on it or something?
The iOS SMS thing is also because of Apple, not the Pebble team. Apple won't let you have access for SMS like Android will. Maybe in iOS 6 but I doubt it. Really don't know what Apple has against products like this being able to alert you to an SMS.

I voted you down for shoving an apostrophe in "days" for no reason.

Just kidding, I voted you up, but you do suck at apostrophes.

Last edited:

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Meh, the concept is ok, but as I have mentioned in another thread a while back (and no doubt others will on here) a next gen nano, curved glass, on a decent wrist strap with a few tweaks to the software and connectivity could serve this purpose very well.

But hey, I guess that's just dreaming, at least these guys are going to be making them.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I was talking about the battery of your iPhone.

----------

Yes, precisely so. If it were BT 4.0, I'd be a happy camper.

The battery of the phone is bad as it is, so this would only make it slightly worse. It won't really be a problem if you charge your phone every day, which I bet you do already

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.