iPhone-Connected Vessyl Smart Cup Tracks Drinking Habits

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Vessyl, a smart cup designed by Yves Behar, is designed to measure and track any drink poured into it in real-time. Using sensors, Vessyl is able to detect drinks that are poured in to it, from water and soda to homemade smoothies, alcoholic beverages, coffee, tea, and more.

[​IMG]
    When a drink is poured into Vessyl, an accompanying iPhone app displays all of the relevant nutritional information about the drink. Vessyl is able to track many pre-bottled drinks, but it is also able to determine the nutritional content of handmade beverages, such as smoothies or mixed drinks. The Verge was able to test Vessyl and has a detailed piece on the cup, including notes on its accuracy.
    Along with displaying nutritional information, Vessyl also keeps track of what a user drinks during the day, tallying statistics like calories consumed, caffeine levels, hydration, and more. Users can set goals within the app, tracking all of these metrics and more. Vessyl also tracks and estimates a person's real-time hydration needs based on how much they drink, which is measured through the liquid level in the cup.

Vessyl, which holds 13 ounces of liquid, has a built-in display, a spill-proof lid, and a non-stick interior. It connects to an iPhone using Bluetooth 4.0 to upload nutrient data to its accompanying iPhone app, which also integrates with popular activity trackers. The cup lasts for five to seven days on a single charge and uses wireless charging.

Vessyl can be pre-ordered for $99, but will later retail for $199. It is available in three different colors (Shadow, Snow, and Steam) along with several accent lid colors, and it is expected to begin shipping in early 2015.

Article Link: iPhone-Connected Vessyl Smart Cup Tracks Drinking Habits

2. macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

wonder if it would detect trace laments of cyanide, urine or other special ingredients i swear my local subways add to my sprite

would find it most comical if this was sync'd to siri: i can imagine buying a bevereng and siri springing to action: "this coke is watered down like piss - enjoy" or "burger king milkshakes suck"

Finally a real-world use for siri - thanks Vessyl,

3. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Here's the most important question:

Can I put it in my dishwasher?

If it does I can finally stop using other people as my poison checkers!

4. macrumors 68020

Sounds like it will go great with that BT fork from a year or two ago. Now I just need a smart knife, spoon, and plate to complete the set! :D

5. macrumors regular

a nanny cup to remind me i shouldn't be having another gin drink? no thanks.

6. macrumors regular

Website FAQ says no

7. macrumors newbie

Mac Pro is the gallon version of this.

8. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

IDK, still need a pitcher, salad tongs, spork, frying pan, deep fryer, cookie sheet, etc...

9. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

That is one expensive cup!:eek:

10. macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

another useless invention.....

11. macrumors member

Jared Strike

Curious though even washing it by hand seems like it could result into a faulty cup-essentially creating a dumb cup.

12. macrumors 601

goobot

Would it notice a date rape drug?

13. macrumors 6502

Not at all. For $99 I can get a reading of nutritional info for homemade smoothies and juices.

Useful and fairly costed. I'll take two please.

14. macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i bet it works fantastic too.

15. BGrifter, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

macrumors newbie

Hilariously overpriced at $99. $199 has to be a joke.

16. macrumors 6502

Well, like any unreleased product, we will have to see.

Call me an optimist.

17. macrumors regular

This thing is so stupid. [​IMG] Dumbest idea ever.

Of course I want to walk around holding a cup in my hand, don't need my hands for more useful purposes.

18. macrumors 6502

Thats it, world should end now.

19. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

So it detects different colors. Interesting. I bet it couldn't detect any of the ones that are dirty white and have different flavors though. ;)

Looks very nice. Sadly I'm mainly a water drinker, so it wouldn't be much use to me over a regular bottle.

Someone needs to create a device that you attach to the cup, which then measures the volume of said cup, and then does the identification that Vessyl does. The fact that you can't put these things in the dishwasher makes all these gadgets DOA.

The ad is done very well though.

20. macrumors 6502a

This is rather neat. I am curious as to how it finds nutrition info on custom drinks.

A day will come when we can throw our food into the microwave and while warming up it will sync with our phone and update all nutrition information we intake

That would be awesome :D

21. macrumors newbie

I'm glad this product exists just for the ad. All those yuppies walking around the city pausing to take long soulful looks at a white plastic cup. It's like something from The Onion.

22. macrumors member

michaelant

Pretty cool idea, to me at least. Not much different than other health trackers, is it? Not everyone would be interested, but if it actually works well, I'd say the price is reasonable.

23. macrumors 68000

Oohara

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

...what, technology still sucks? Meh, wake me up in 150 years

24. macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Can it measure how much alcohol I have consumed? I have A hard time drinking enough booze, so it would be great to have a progress bar to help me reach my 24 beer per day goal. Imagine the convenience of not having to keep track of how many bottles of mouthwash, spirits, or wine I drink... This will free me up from keeping track and let me concentrate on finding new and interesting ways to ingest various alcoholic liquids.

25. macrumors regular

If it could that would actually be useful. Imagine bars having them to serve mixed drinks in.