iPhone DCIM folder help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tnnsxace, Jan 29, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Before, I used to have only one folder on the DCIM in the internal storage.
    That was 100APPLE. But now, I have another folder named: 101APPLE.
    I was just wondering why I have two folders now instead of one..
    I can't delete the new folder either.

2. macrumors 65816

if you jailbreak and install ifile you can delete any folder. besides thats weird that u cant delete that folder, but i would leave it alone since it has apple in it, so it must be important. why not call up apple and ask about it?

3. macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Don't do this.

DO do this.

This is a waste of your time too, but unlikely to hurt anything

OP, what you've described is normal behaviour for the iPhone (as well as most digital cameras). The DCIM folder is where photos are stored. Apple groups the photos taken with your camera into "rolls" so that you don't have hundreds of photos in one folder. Having another folder just means that your original 100APPLE folder was at some point filled up, so the iPhone created another roll. If 101APPLE is empty, it just means you've deleted the photos in that folder, and it'll start filling up again once your 100APPLE folder is empty.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

alright

Thank you for your guys' help. I guess I'll just leave it alone since it's not doing anything anyways. Thank you.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh!

Now I have 4 folders under DCIM
    100APPLE, 101APPLE, 102APPLE, 103APPLE.
    I'm scared that something's wrong with my phone.

6. macrumors 68000

There's nothing seriously wrong with your phone but it does seem like there's a corrupted preferences file.

If you Google "dcim +103apple" (no quotes) you'll see several threads elsewhere where people discuss the same issue.

There's a big thread on Apple about this and related issues, and possible solutions:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10076771