Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Wowza. I don't care which carrier I go with (they all suck equally) but AT&T better offer really, really good plans. If there is widespread customer dissatisfaction with AT&T's handling of iPhone, Steve is going to be putting his foot very far up Sigman's ass. Nobody messes with Steve's baby.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iPhone Details: 5 Years on AT&T, Verizon's Answer?

USA Today reports in the intense competition in the mobile phone industry. With 78% of U.S. household with a mobile phone, customer growth now relies on customer acquisition from other providers.

In this ongoing battle, the iPhone is a key player:
"I'm glad we have (the iPhone) in our bag," he says. "Others will try to match it, but for a period of time, they're going to be playing catch-up."
USA Today confirms that the iPhone is contractually bound to AT&T as an exclusive for a period of five years. Previous reports had varied, with one report claiming the deal as lasting through 2009 instead. Apple is also said to be prohibited from creating a CDMA version of the iPhone during this time.

Verizon had the first shot at the iPhone prior to the Cingular deal but was unwilling to concede to Apple's demands. Verizon has yet to admit that passing on the iPhone was a mistake:
Denny Strigl, Verizon's chief operating officer, decided to pass on the iPhone deal and says he has no regrets: "Time will tell" if he made the right call, he says.
But with the obvious interest in the iPhone, they are preparing "an answer" to the iPhone.
Given Apple's cultlike following, however, Verizon isn't taking any chances. Strigl says Verizon is already working with a manufacturer — he declines to say which one — on an answer to the iPhone. "We do have a very good response in the mill," he says. "You'll see that from us in the late summer."

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
yeah. time will tell. I really want to know how much it really can do.
Java, Flash swf files, Office documents and more. if you can't use it for business what's the deal.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I really don't think Verizon could make a better interface than the iPhone (from what I've seen of it so far). Verizon's interfaces are what makes their phones bland and boring. I am getting an iPhone in June, but I am really excited to see what the other manufacturers come up with to take on the competition of the iPhone.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Quote:
Denny Strigl, Verizon's chief operating officer, decided to pass on the iPhone deal and says he has no regrets: "Time will tell" if he made the right call, he says.​
A good choice of phrase for a phone executive!

Apple is certainly getting all the attention for now. As competitors pop up from Verizon and others, we'll find out how seriously they contend. And of course we'll see if Apple does as well in their new Marketplace as they expect. Perhaps it's a battle for attention but for a relatively small number of sales.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
So, anyone scared? :D

Given there's no way in HELL that I'm going to use AT&T, I think the term is "resigned" and "hopeful". Hopefully Verizon's answer is better than what's out there.

With this news, the iPhone is officially dead to me. There's no way I'm signing up with AT&T, both from past corporate practices and from current network suckage.

IMHO, this is a major mis-step from Apple. I hope it is being mis-reported. But, barring that, I hope the iPhone at least inspires someone to build a better phone and offer it in conjunction with a less disgusting service provider.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
yeah. time will tell. I really want to know how much it really can do.
Java, Flash swf files, Office documents and more. if you can't use it for business what's the deal.

Maybe they can put little feet on the bottom of the phone so that it can stand upright, and it become the missing <$1000 tower in Apple's Mac line up.:rolleyes:

I really hope that it does live up to the hype about it being easy to use to MAKE CALLS -- not full of gadgets and useless crap that I'll never use.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
No CDMA version for 5 years? That pretty much discounts me getting an iPhone for 5 years. GSM is garbage in this country, anyone living in a city will tell you that. Ya know, areas with buildings where the GSM reception drops my an order of magnitude when you step inside? Yeah.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I think they should spread themselves across many providers.

I can see the advantages of going with one in the short term, but in the long term it is not the best strategy.

That's why five years is maybe a bit excessive.

Still if it's not working out I wouldn't put it past Apple to find some clever get-out, like they did with the clone manufacturers.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I wish I can get a deal being a loyal ATT then Cingular costumer and now returning to ATT. I like the service never had a problem. My cell lets me know when the reception is not good enough that it wont make the call.I got a nice family package thats ridiculous.

As for Verizon gets for being ego, haha like I heard from someone, when new technology comes out theres three ways companies approach it
1. Hate it
2. Wait and see what happens
3. Jump on it

Wonder what Verizon and M$ are at?

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I would expect most likely LG is the manufacturer, M$ being a distant second. CDMA is big in Korea, and LG seems to be pushing their more experimental phones with Verizon as it is.

Whatever it is, expect it to be functionally and visually derivative of iphone, with more, but less useful, features.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The "iPhone killers" will be rolling out for years to come. Just like the "iPod killers." Some might even be as thin and light as the iPhone (compared to the usual bricklike smartphones) but they won't have Apple ease-of-use, iTunes integration, or multitouch.

And they won't have Apple's mindshare. Every time one of them comes out, the articles and reviews will also mention iPhone. Free press for Apple every time a competitor is mentioned! Must be nice :)

I do want to see 3G speeds come to iPhone--and Apple has already announced that this is coming. I don't so much care about CDMA specifically though.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Not allowed to make CDMA version, nothing said about iDen. Imagine a rubberized-yellow iPhone with a multitouch push-to-talk thingie.

mrowl

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
5 years? Great! The verizon software is Horrible.... And I have never had a problem with at&t/cingular/at&t. Have been with them for 10 years, and now, cant wait to sign a new contract with an iPhone.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Ya know, I'm not that impressed with the iPhone, BUT, I do have to say that Apple is REALLY good at what they do! This product has been publicly displayed for a grand total of under 5 hours, and has thrown the whole cellular industry for a loop. The fact that people are working on something to directly compete with a product that is not even out yet amazes me.

I think the :apple: iPhone is the same phenomenon as the iPod. There are plenty of players out there, many of which are BETTER than the iPod, but... everyone still wants an iPod. Apple really is good.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think the :apple: iPhone is the same phenomenon as the iPod. There are plenty of players out there, many of which are BETTER than the iPod, but... everyone still wants an iPod. Apple really is good.

Yes, good at marketing and style... but ALSO good at ease-of-use. THAT is what makes the iPod and iPhone, in conjunction with iTunes, so appealing. And there is nothing "better" than iPod+iTunes when it comes to ease of use.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Verizon has yet to admit that passing on the iPhone was a mistake:

But with the obvious interest in the iPhone, they are preparing "an answer" to the iPhone.

I can't wait till my stock switches and becomes verizon wireless, i REALLY want to yell at them at shareholders meeting and ask what the "flack" were you thinking!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?

I think their answer is going to be a version the prada... :(

andy.c

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
Sweden
Being European and all...

Would this prevent Apple from making a 3G version for European market? They said it would be available here in Q4 but an Iphone without 3G wouldn't make it far here.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Would this prevent Apple from making a 3G version for European market? They said it would be available here in Q4 but an Iphone without 3G wouldn't make it far here.

Your GSM is different from ours... will iPhone be Quad-band?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.