Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
A few of the IM networks let you IM on their websites if you can't download their apps.. AIM and I believe Yahoo both do anyway.. So, you wouldn't really need it built into the mobile iChat, though it would be nicer that way.. I'm sure it will come in time..

Or just set AIM to work with your mobile phone when you're not signed in, and you're good to go.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
no GPS thats a bummer. I wonder how the google maps works then like in the calamari ad? I was hoping for GPS, but will probably still get one :)

As it has been discussed, Google Maps probably had the user's zip code set to use for searches. But hey, it might be an added feature at the launch!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Lamest. Response. Ever.

Yeah, but what are they going to do? Launch into an explanation of already strained battery life? Steve's personal eccentricities? I can't really think of a better response.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
Or just set AIM to work with your mobile phone when you're not signed in, and you're good to go.

Yeah, but then you get that annoying little mobile sign next to your screen name on people's buddy lists. Personally, I don't message anyone that's using a cell because I don't know if it costs them money or not.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
The no IM over SMS thing is kind of odd, but it might be a good sign if it means AdiumX or something similar can be ported over (or there's an iChat client installed.)

Using SMS to send IM is stupid, and it never should have been done in the first place except the carriers tried to shove IM down that pipe just to charge per line. If you've got a full blown, unlimited use TCP stack on there anyway and enough CPU horsepower to do it, just use the normal IM protocols over that channel instead.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Maybe the fact the reason that the iPhone has no IM application is because of the deal that Apple has with Cisco? I read in previous articles that there was an agreement of some sort. Ideas?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, but then you get that annoying little mobile sign next to your screen name on people's buddy lists. Personally, I don't message anyone that's using a cell because I don't know if it costs them money or not.

How is that annoying? I appreciate knowing that the people are mobile, not logged into a computer. I'd want my friends to know that when I'm mobile too. I avoid sms too, but that's probably because I just missed that boat by a couple of years. Texting annoys the hell out of me, but I really like IM. Weird, huh?

Probably won't work, because there needs to be a client app on the phone (aim, yahoo, etc.), of which there isn't as of now.

No, it just works with SMS texting, no IM client. It's translated on AIM's servers I believe.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Maybe the fact the reason that the iPhone has no IM application is because of the deal that Apple has with Cisco? I read in previous articles that there was an agreement of some sort. Ideas?

I believe they agreed upon Cisco handling some of the Apple Store Online's transactions. Not sure tho'.

talktozachary

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
Florida, USA
Actually, people with MMS can email their MMS messages to an email address on most phones I've used, and replying to the phone's email ie phonenumber@cingularme.com will allow you to reply with a message that includes multimedia attachments, like an MMS message. At least I've done it that way before.

I'm sure it's possible to get around not having MMS specifically, but it doesn't seem very Apple-like to have to go through some roundabout email method to send a picture to a phone.

There should just be some "Add Photo" button somewhere on the SMS dialogue screen that opens a sub-menu, allowing you to scroll through albums and find a photo. Then you'd just point and drag it to the SMS window and it would add it like in iChat.

Hopefully people will complain enough for this to be fixed.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm sure it's possible to get around not having MMS specifically, but it doesn't seem very Apple-like to have to go through some roundabout email method to send a picture to a phone.

There should just be some "Add Photo" button somewhere on the SMS dialogue screen that opens a sub-menu, allowing you to scroll through albums and find a photo. Then you'd just point and drag it to the SMS window and it would add it like in iChat.

Hopefully people will complain enough for this to be fixed.

Oh, I agree, if you could click add image to the chat that would be pretty cool, but until this is added, I think email will work.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, but what are they going to do? Launch into an explanation of already strained battery life? Steve's personal eccentricities? I can't really think of a better response.
I don't know. What are they going to say when I ask why the iPhone can't give turn-by-turn directions just like my RAZR?

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006
Hopefully Apple and Cingular have set up a system to auto-create the 10-digit@carrierdomain.xxx for all phone numbers you put in. It's actually a better idea, becaus if you're in range of WiFi, you won't be charged to send the e-mail message, whereas MMS you would.

For instance, I put my sim card in and offload all my contacts and the iPhone says "Please wait, retrieving contact details" or something and that's the last I have to deal with anything regarding sending multimedia to friends. That e-mail address would be hidden behind their cell number. All i do is select my friends name and then the cell number to send to and it displays it in to the 'to:' section but really sends it to the 10-digit@carrierdomain.xxx.

That make sense?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know. What are they going to say when I ask why the iPhone can't give turn-by-turn directions just like my RAZR?

Um, I'm pretty sure it can, just like google maps on the web. There is a directions button in the Maps app.

So I guess in that case they would calmly explain to you how to use the feature, and you would feel sheepish for not just asking if it could do directions, before jumping to the conclusion that it couldn't.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Um, I'm pretty sure it can, just like google maps on the web. There is a directions button in the Maps app.
That depends on the usage of "turn-by-turn."

My RAZR can give me "turn-by-turn" directions as I'm driving. ...All I need is a destination, because the phone already knows exactly where I am (just like a GPS).

As I understand it now, the iPhone requires you to enter a starting point and final destination, which is unfortunate if you don't know where you are.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Yes, I've done AIM via SMS, it is rather annoying and involves either memorizing weird short code phone numbers, or having a cheat sheet of them.

Agreed. It's not as convenient than using a REAL client. As with no MMS...maybe there is going to be a substitute? I would sure like to have MMS on a smart phone that is supposedly better than regular cell phones.

Berko

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2002
What about on an airplane?

OK, I have a question that I have not seen anywhere yet. What about on an airplane? Cell phones can't be used at all, but if I want to watch a movie (a main reason for me to have a widescreen iPod) I can't, because I can't turn on my cell phone. Will the iPhone have an airplane mode? I'm thinking it won't.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
That depends on the usage of "turn-by-turn."

My RAZR can give me "turn-by-turn" directions as I'm driving. ...All I need is a destination, because the phone already knows exactly where I am (just like a GPS).

Thanks, I see what you mean now. That could be useful. For me, google maps has always been fine though, I just wish it was more accessible on the road (and I guess as soon as I can find the money, now it will be).

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
OK, I have a question that I have not seen anywhere yet. What about on an airplane? Cell phones can't be used at all, but if I want to watch a movie (a main reason for me to have a widescreen iPod) I can't, because I can't turn on my cell phone. Will the iPhone have an airplane mode? I'm thinking it won't.

I'm sure it does. I remember hearing this for sure, maybe from David Pogue or the actual Keynote.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm sure it will.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Yes, I've done AIM via SMS, it is rather annoying and involves either memorizing weird short code phone numbers, or having a cheat sheet of them.

Hmm, well let's all just hope for Skype then. Skype is the IM I wish everyone would switch to, because I think they've made a MUCH stronger effort at cross-platform compatibility than any other company, and I feel like that sort of effort ought to be rewarded.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN

That's a really good point. So many questions! Steve, please address this at WWDC. Along with all my other questions I came up with tonight...MMS, vibrate, data plan costs. Geez. 19days and counting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.