iPhone Developer Program Not Available in Some Countries (Greece)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Soulstorm, Jan 15, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I think it's right to start a new thread about this one...

I went and bought an iPhone, which I believe is a very good buy, even if I didn't want it for application development.

However, something unfortunate happened. I live in Greece, and when I tried to apply for an iPhone standard Developer program, in the last stage of my application procedure it asked me what my country was. I couldn't find Greece among these countries. I sent an e-mail to Apple, asking what to do, however, when I tried redoing the procedure from the start, I was presented with this:

Does this mean that I won't be able to purchase this program and I won't be able to build a program and upload it to iTunes Store?
  2. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
  3. macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think there's anyone else from Greece here. My guess is they will not accept you into the developer program right now based on your location, but you never know...
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2008
    Soulstorm, I can not help you but please report here the outcome of this story when you know, as it affects all of us Greeks.

I was about to start the application procedure the next days and this finding about exclusion of specific countries is awful.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I have contacted apple's technical support here in Greece. They told me that they don't know what must be done but they do know of a man that had the same problem in Ukraine. His problem was solved by depositing the money via a ban account to a bank account in Apple. They advised me to wait 48 hours before taking any actio ln because usually that's the time apple needs to reply to mails.

The people I talked to via phone seemed confident that apple would find a way to remedy the situation as it is in their best interest to have new developers in as many countries as possible.

And I really can't think of any reason why apple would exclude Greece from the developer program. I bought the iPhone mainly because I wanted to develop for it and I now feel like stupid, because no one told me in advance that there isn't any developer program available in Greece. Thanks apple!
  6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    ...continuing my efforts to find a solution to my problems, I received a strange e-mail from a sender called "AppDev Info"

I want to believe him, but giving away so much personal information somewhat scares me. Does anyone have any experience with those guys or at least has heard something?
  7. macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2007

I have not heard of them, but absolutely do not ever hand out information to ANYONE on the internet. They prey upon people like yourself, with a problem that they can oh-so-conveniently solve for you. Note that they claim to be in Austin TX but have a russian e-mail address and international phone number. If the company really had any presence in the USA he should provide you with that info too.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2008
    I have also applied for the Developers Program and encountered the same problem (Greece is not in the list for the 99$ payment). I have sent a letter to Apple asking what I am supposed to do. Let's see what they will reply...

Soulstorm, please continue to inform us about any reply to you from Apple. Thanks!
  9. macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2009
    Also not availabel for India

Hi, I am also trying to enroll but not available in India. I have invested huge efforts in learning iphone programming ( not to say that I spent money in buying macs and iphone ) but only to find that I am unable to enroll in iphone developer program.
    Do anyone ( from greece / ukraine ) managed to enroll.. please reply. Thank you.
  10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I posted this question in another forum, and I believe you may want to read the thread...

The thread is here.
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2008

I am having the same problem. I am from Slovenia and there is no Apple Online Store here either.
    I sent a few emails to ADC support using words like 'critical', 'imperative', 'urgent' and so on, and in approx. two weeks i got an email with a form which i had to fill-out and fax to apple billing team in USA. I also had to reply to that e-mail, to confirm i have faxed the form, but have got no reply yet (the fax was sent on friday, 5. of January 2009). There is another developer here in Slovenia, who already has an account, and he told me that i would have to wait for about 3 weeks after faxing the form, to get the activation e-mail.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards!
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    I got this same message when applying from the US. At first i thought i accidentally clicked enterprise instead of standard, but maybe this is a standard message for ALL applications to iDP
  13. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    That's a standard automated reply for all applications. That doesn't mean that your application will proceed...
  14. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2008
    Hello all!

i got my activation email yesterday! that means approx. 1 month from application to activation.

best regards!
  15. thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    It's been one and a half month approx since I sent my registration application. In the mean time, I faxed my photo ID and my billing information, as I was asked by Apple. No word from them.

I received that e-mail from Apple 2 days ago:

Inside that e-mail, there is a link. I press it, and it redirect me to the online store, where my country must be chosen from the list in order to complete my purchase. Guess what...! NO Greece!

I thought that this had been clarified to Apple, that I am not from Greece!. So I called them and I asked them what happened. After some calls, it seems that this was an automatic message. The last lady I spoke to on the phone said that she would tell the billing department to give priority on the matter, and since I have faxed to Apple all the necessary information, Apple would make the transaction based on my billing information and my registration e-mail would be sent to me in 2 days tops.

2 days have passed, and no e-mail from Apple.

They really need to change the way things are being done...
  16. macrumors member

Feb 4, 2009
    You have to have big patience dealing with them.

Good luck. guys
  17. Cue
    macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    Edinburgh, UK
    Any news on the matter Christos or anyone else?
  18. macrumors member

Apr 7, 2009
    Oh man this is awful - sorry to hear man. I'm sure everyone appreciates you posting your dilemma and the steps you are taking to resolve this. I think it's really silly to exclude some countries from getting into this program when the product is sold there. :mad:
  19. macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2009
    I was excited too!

I have seen the podcasts of Steve Jobs presenting the IPhone, I seen their ads about the Macs and I bought a Mac and an Iphone to start developing apps.
    And now what? I read you guys and I get crazy. I was about to buy the Iphone SDK just next week. Should I have the same trouble; Possibly yes.
    Is Apple deaf; Don't they have a team to read and take care about such problems? Once they reached to the edge of the cliff to get bankrupted by practices like this. Did n't they got their lesson;
    Never mind pals! If Apple does not want us to build apps for their phone we will build for good old Windows. Anyway, most mobile phones run Windows.
    Possibly, with leave of Jobs due to his health issues Apple will eventually became a company for a niche market as it was before. Pity!
  20. macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2008
    Just be patient.

I've sent them a mail. Then they sent me a form which I faxed back and then they charged me $99 and then I was in.

It sounds so simple when I tell it like this, but in my case it took 5 weeks for all of this to play out.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2011
    2 xronia meta...oi tupades tis apple den alla3an tpt...stin idia 8esi eimai kai egw...:p:p

So, 2 years later, did you manage to enroll on the iOS program? I am kind in the same situation as you...