iPhone Drives AT&T's Record-Smashing Quarter for Smartphone Sales with 7.6 Million Activations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AT&T today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter of 2011, revealing that the carrier saw record-smashing sales of 9.4 million smartphones, nearly double the previous quarter's sales and 50% higher than the company's previous record. The iPhone was clearly the primary driver of smartphone sales for AT&T, as the carrier reported 7.6 million iPhone activations during that quarter, with the "majority" of those activations being iPhone 4S devices.
    The iPhone and total smartphone numbers can not be directly compared, however, as the "activations" number AT&T reports for iPhones includes used devices activated on new contracts such as when a user's old device is sold or given away upon upgrading.

[​IMG]

AT&T also touts its lead over Verizon in iPhone activations, noting that it has continued to easily outpace Verizon every quarter since AT&T lost exclusivity on the iPhone in early 2011.

[​IMG]

Finally, AT&T notes that it has continued to improve its voice and data network, with more than 80% of data traffic now coming over the carrier's enhanced backhaul that allows for "4G" speeds on devices supporting at least HSPA+, such as the iPhone 4S. The carrier also reports that "call retainability", an inverse measure of dropped call rates, has continued to increase and was over 99% throughout the quarter for 3G connections on a nationwide basis.

Article Link: iPhone Drives AT&T's Record-Smashing Quarter for Smartphone Sales with 7.6 Million Activations

2. macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

Combined with Verizon and Sprint (numbers later, probably pocket change), this is likely the proof that iOS surpassed all the Android vendors combined in the US in Q4. Of course the Android vendors don't consistently publish numbers.

3. macrumors 65816

Yippee

The blue death star gets even bigger.

4. macrumors 6502a

So people don't actually care about 4G and 4" screens? Hmmm, didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:

5. basesloaded190, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I am clearly in the minority, but I have 0 problems with AT&T so I'm glad to see that they are still activating all these phones. Now let's get real 4G rolling out this year!

6. macrumors 65816

Good for AT&T. Now work on getting a much more reliable connection, or one that works when iphone reports a FULL signal yet no connectivity.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A story on ATT's quarterly results and nary a mention of the $6.68 billion loss they posted.

8. macrumors 65816

Actually I do and got the 4s since I had no other choice as I wanted an iphone. Don't forget, if you like iOS you have to use whatever Apple doles out, there is no choice.

9. macrumors 6502a

The point being made is that 4G and 4 inch screens are not a necessity like some androids say it is, nor is it something that obviously will hurt iPhone's sales as androids swore it would.

10. macrumors 604

wordoflife

4G or not ... I'm not complaining with 6mb/s!

Still dislike AT&T as a company. Only offer an unlimited texting plan? Wtf? And those data plans..

And I'm actually fine with 3.5" too. iPhone is optimized with it and I never felt that it feels small. I know others feel differently but I'm just stating my opinion.

11. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's a form factor that works for many millions of people. Of course some people would like a bigger screen, or faster speeds but these are not things that determine what people buy, nor does it make an android phone better then an iPhone. The numbers speak for themselves

12. macrumors newbie

13. macrumors 6502a

they are not saying it's a necessity, they are saying it should be an option

I hate wearing one size fits all shirts, you don't?

14. macrumors 6502a

If you dig deep into the numbers, it was the T-Mobile merger and one time pension write-offs. Everything else was up...way up.

15. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Actually, it kinda is a coincidence. Verizon's loss had to do with a one time multi billion dollar payout, and AT&T's with the failed merger.

I like AT&T. Had them since the first iPhone, and I find their service really good. Not only in Boston where I live but everywhere I've traveled, too. And I can't see going with any other carrier as long as we've got 3G. That said, Verizon has done SUCH a better job with lte deployment that I could see switching to them when the next iPhone comes out, unless AT&T has really built out their lte network by then.

16. macrumors regular

Is this the same AT&T that refuses to carrier unlock my iPhone 4 when my contract with them expires?

I'm never using them again and I'll do everything I can to make sure nobody else I know does either. **** 'em.

17. macrumors 6502a

I do, yes. And no they are not saying its an option. They were saying that without 4G and the "same small screen" iPhone would never sell. clearly they were wrong.

18. macrumors 6502a

I've been with AT&T and iPhones for 4 years. The first couple of years the service grew worse as they struggled under the load but fair is fair, it has gotten much better. I am very satisfied with the service now and the speed of the network in most locations in the country and as an airline pilot I see much of it.

That said I don't know what I am going to do when I upgrade to 2012's iPhone "5/6/whatever" that likely will have LTE. For me the LTE is a major reason to upgrade and Verizon will have nearly 90% nationwide coverage by the end of this year and reviews say it darn fast. AT&T is way behind in their LTE rollout and likely by the end of the year will only be in major metropolitan areas which makes the phone less desirable on AT&T. Hmmmm, I might be switching, but I'll see where things stand when the next iPhone is released.

19. macrumors G4

*LTD*

That's power. A single vendor can virtually make or break a carrier.

20. macrumors 65816

dgree03

Don't be so dense, NEVER sell? Find me a poster that said that and they are truly uninformed! iPhone would sale for 3 years straight without ever having to upgrade anything hardware wise. People want the iPhone, the nerd on this forums(including me) want a 4g phone with a 4in screen. One will come eventually, the other is not guaranteed.

Rest assured tho, if a 4in screen is released, iPhone will still be just as popular as before.

21. macrumors 65816

linux2mac

Uh-Oh, brace yourself, any minute the self-proclaimed Windows/Android experts will be here to clear up any misunderstandings us Apple users have about Apple's success. I am glad these folks are here to help us out. There must be a good explanation of why my iPhone "just works", looks better than the ugly POS Androids out there, is not full of malware, and is by far the best smart phone. :rolleyes:

22. macrumors regular

Overall, ATT has been a good carrier over the past few years. They aren't GREAT at any one thing, but the cover all there bases and it averages out to a decent user experience.

Plus we are grandfathered with unlimited data, so that ball and chain has us pretty well "Tethered." :)

23. macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry you didn't understand my hyperbole. Even if someone did say "never" sell, I wouldn't assume that they meant Apple would report 0 units sold in the quarter. It's a figure of speech, meaning they expected iPhone to not do as well as it usually does. Clear?

24. macrumors G4

*LTD*

25. macrumors 65816

linux2mac

I know. Makes me laugh when I see comments like this:

LOL! Classic example of another "supposed expert" here to clear up any misunderstandings us Apple users have about Apple's success. I have never seen so many "supposed experts" in one place like I do here. :rolleyes: