iPhone dropped in water, won't stop vibrating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spyzz83, Dec 24, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2012
    Kay so this iPhone was dropped in water, after it fell it started vibrating and won't stop, I immediately unscrewed it and took the screen out and put them both in a bowl of rice, did not turn it off.

Now, it has stopped vibrating because the phone was in the rice bowl, but it slowly became more weak and stopped vibrating, I didn't know what to do I put the screen back and pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds, didn't even see if it worked just pressed them both and then I removed the screen again.

Has it ever happen to anyone that the iPhone won't stop vibrating after a water damage?
    Should I remove the logic board too?
    How long should I leave it in the rice bowl?
  2. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Just leave it off and in rice for a couple days.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2012
    But at first I put it in the rice bowl when it was on vibrating, then after like 4 hours it got weaker and stopped, I put everything back pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds without even knowing if the phone was still on or not.

Also heard that it's better not to open it and leave it the way it is in the rice bowl, is it true?
  4. macrumors member

Nov 15, 2012
    It probably got weaker as the battery started to die, it quite possibly is out of juice, which is GOOD.

Stick it back in the rice, with the screen off if possible and leave it alone for a couple of days, this will get all the water out.

After at least 2 days, check and make sure you see no trace, then put back together, you can then try switching on, and if not, check the lightening connector first make sure its dry, then plug in your charger.

DO NOT SWITCH it on until then. If you switch on now and if water is shorting any pins, you will DAMAGE your phone.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jun 28, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Please make sure it is raw and not cooked rice.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2012
    Kay thanks alot man, I'll check back in two days see
    Thank you very much
  7. Guest

Aug 5, 2012
  8. macrumors 68000

Nov 15, 2012
    If ANYTHING electrical falls in water, turn it off immediately. Running a piece of soaking wet electronics is dangerous, if only to the item.
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2012
    How can I know if it's powered on?
  10. macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2012
    If the rice thing doesn't work, try dropping it in water again.
  11. macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    There is a good chance you shorted a connection when dropping the device in water. As others have instructed, I'd leave it powered off for 2-3 days in rice and make sure the phone is completely dry before powering it back on.