Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karatheart94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I dropped my iPhone SE (fully submerged) in water for about 10 seconds 8 hours ago and it still works. My camera, speakers and headphone jack are still working. When I removed the sim card slot from my phone it was dry, and my sim card is working as well.

One thing that I did wrong was not turning off the phone immediately after it was submerged, and now I'm afraid to turn it off should it not turn on later.

Right now I am travelling in the outskirts of Malaysia and have no access to silica gel or rice to dry out my phone internally.

Since it has been working fine for the past 8 hours, is it safe to assume that my phone will be fine?

I will not be charging my phone until 24 hours later just in case, but right now any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately it's not really safe to assume much one way or another. It's working for the moment, which is certainly a good sign, at least in comparison to it not working or having some issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it might not develop some issues in the near or far future.

Reactions: 89007132

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah water damage can take a little time to come to the surface. That being said though maybe you are good to go. I hope it keeps working for ya.

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
I dropped my iPhone SE (fully submerged) in water for about 10 seconds 8 hours ago and it still works. My camera, speakers and headphone jack are still working. When I removed the sim card slot from my phone it was dry, and my sim card is working as well.

One thing that I did wrong was not turning off the phone immediately after it was submerged, and now I'm afraid to turn it off should it not turn on later.

Right now I am travelling in the outskirts of Malaysia and have no access to silica gel or rice to dry out my phone internally.

Since it has been working fine for the past 8 hours, is it safe to assume that my phone will be fine?

I will not be charging my phone until 24 hours later just in case, but right now any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks!
Just enjoy and appreciate that its working
P.S: I would never risk draining its battery to check if it will be okay or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.