iPhone dying with 50% battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kwknight, Apr 29, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2011
    I've had my iPhone 3GS since October '09, so it's about a year and a half old at this point, and I'd never really had any issues with it until a month ago. It started turning off with 10% battery. Then 20%, 40%, and this morning it shut off with 74% battery left. It had been off the charger for maybe an hour, and I'd been using the camera to capture video. When I try to turn the phone back on after it so rudely shuts itself off, I get the silver apple, and it stays there. I think it eventually turns to black, but I've stopped trying to turn it back on since it doesn't do any good. Am I the only person who's had this issue?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2010
  3. macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2008
    the 717
    What firmware version are you on? Have you tried restoring? What charger are you using: wall charger or just USB? Are you using an official Apple charger or a chinese knockoff (yes, they are inferior- I had one that would crash the iPhone during a sync). If you have restored to the latest and greatest firmware, take it to the apple store and see what they say. Maybe it's time to "upgrade" to the iPhone 4? :D