Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

'Canary' is a small tabletop device that, according to its designers, will make your home safer and more secure from a variety of issues. The Canary includes a number of features and sensors that are accessible through the cloud from an iPhone:

- HD camera with a wide-angle lens and microphone
- Night vision and IR motion sensors
- Temperature, air quality and humidity sensors

The company behind Canary says that traditional home security systems are expensive and underused because of false alarms. Because the Canary only alerts the end user, providing information from both the sensors and the built-in camera, the device aims to still protect the home while cutting down on potentially costly false alarms.

canary.png
The app and service are free, but the company plans optional service plans with additional options such as increased data storage and call-center options.
Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when it senses anything out of the ordinary -- from sudden temperature changes that can indicate a fire, to the sound and movement that could mean an intrusion. Instantly receive, view and act on the alerts wherever you are. Over time, Canary learns your home's rhythms to send you smarter alerts. Canary is the smartest way to stay secure.
Canary is currently available via preorder/crowdfunding on Indiegogo, starting at $199. The company has already surpassed its funding goal of $100,000.

Article Link: iPhone-Enabled Home Security System 'Canary' Offers HD Camera, Environmental Sensors and More

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Interesting concept, but it doesn't meet all of my needs. I want more security!

Our current DIY, iPhone-friendly home security setup is a system from SimpliSafe.com (love them!!) with actual alarm monitoring + I use iCam on my Mac and home with some wireless cameras for motion detection and security DVR. If I want, the iPhone app will alert me of motion and I can review motion alerts. http://skjm.com/icam

Love it! Works flawlessly and has for about 2 years now.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I was looking for some kind of IP temperature/environment sensing device... I wonder if it's "open" enough to be able to monitor it with something other than an iPhone. Probably a little expensive if I only use it for that (though I like the security feature too).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
"Canary", after the canaries used in mining days to detect gas leaks and such? Clever girl.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This looks excellent. Some may call it paranoid, but in my humble opinion you can't put a price on peace of mind. Even though I've got an alarm system I felt & slept 10x better when I got contents' cover.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
certainly a good product. Wonder how many flaws it will have in the first weeks / months. Its probably best to wait a little bit before buying them. It would be even better if it were able to rotate (dont think it is).

-I think apple should patent the style they use in their promotional videos so not all videos from all companies that have something to do with an idevice are like apples :D :D

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Awesome concept but I do not need a humidity sensor/temp sensor etc at every point

They need to expand with smaller/cheaper add on units with just a basic motion sensor or camera that can be placed through out the house and this at the main base station.

That would make it a true home solution

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Awesome concept but I do not need a humidity sensor/temp sensor etc at every point

They need to expand with smaller/cheaper add on units with just a basic motion sensor or camera that can be placed through out the house and this at the main base station.

This appears to be tailored more toward people with condo's rather than full houses. It would be perfect for me, if it works as well as advertised, but I'll wait for reviews.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

I also think it is an excellent concept, but think the sensors do want to be at every point. They should be able to detect fires and flooding, things which can be quite localised, or at least start localised, and it is too late when they are not.

The one thing I am not sure about. How do you stop a burglar from taking it with them, or even just putting a sheet over it? It seems too easy for an intruder to render it ineffective.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
videos are beginning to look the same now :rolleyes:

The Device is impressive but then again , the video did it all ( apple style )

i'll wait till the first users' complain have been fixed.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
March 2014 delivery date. Keep in mind that over 80% of these projects are delivered months after their intended date with almost 20% that are funded never being delivered at all.

I went with the Scout Alarm. Sadly they recently pushed their delivery date back from August 2013 to late 2013.

http://www.scoutalarm.com

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Nest, are you seeing this. Please do something along these lines. Load it up with sensors and you might have a winner.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nest, are you seeing this. Please do something along these lines. Load it up with sensors and you might have a winner.
Might have a winner? Nest is already one in its field...just because it hasn't spread to other fields (yet?) doesn't really make it a loser or anything like that.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Stores 24/7 video of your home in the cloud, how convenient for the NSA

Limited storage unless you want to buy the increased data storage at additional cost.

Izod Stem is similar. The 25 free motion events are used up in a couple of minutes. If you want it to reliably store motion events you must purchase a monthly data plan.

This sounds promising but I won't be preordering it.
I'd like to wait to reviews are out and they release how much they are charging for add ons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.