Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USMCGRUNT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I am looking for a few programs..

- A reputable program to completely erase data on an iPhone? I am aware of the factory settings to erase all the content, but I am looking for a program that will also write over any erased files so they are never recoverable?

- A program that will clean up the phone (Documents and Data of cahed files not used)

- Looking for the same type of reputable programs for my MacBook. I already use CleanMyMac for cleaning, but I need something for permanently erasing files that were already trashed.

Thanks!

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

- A reputable program to completely erase data on an iPhone? I am aware of the factory settings to erase all the content, but I am looking for a program that will also write over any erased files so they are never recoverable?

- A program that will clean up the phone (Documents and Data of cahed files not used)

- Looking for the same type of reputable programs for my MacBook. I already use CleanMyMac for cleaning, but I need something for permanently erasing files that were already trashed.

Thanks!
Being that iPhone content is encrypted from the start, the content is not readable without the encryption keys. Erase All Content and Settings will meet your needs sufficiently.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Thanks!
It's already installed on your mac by default!

Launch iTunes and then do a dfu restore to the iPhone. That will wipe and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X to your device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's already installed on your mac by default!

Launch iTunes and then do a dfu restore to the iPhone. That will wipe and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X to your device.
Hopefully not OS X. ;) That said, reset all settings and erase data option on the device essentially does the same thing (minus installing the latest iOS version).

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
:) Shoot your iPhone , make a video, get million likes on Youtube , get a check from Google(the Android company), buy a new one :)

Reactions: Applejuiced

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
In the app store: "Battery Saver - Manage battery life & Check system status" It offers a hidden feature to clean your cache. Of course, Apple doesn't allow this so I wouldn't be surprised if it is removed soon.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In the app store: "Battery Saver - Manage battery life & Check system status" It offers a hidden feature to clean your cache. Of course, Apple doesn't allow this so I wouldn't be surprised if it is removed soon.
That app and/or others like it have been around in the App Store for years.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This one has the clear memory which is disallowed and the clearing of temp cache from other apps, again expressively not allowed.

Whether it's booted tomorrow or two years from now- should accomplish some of what the OP was requesting. . .

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I think @oftheheavens was being facetious. It wasn't literal.

On second thought, I think you're right. @oftheheavens is probably as big of a smartass as I am. :D

...pehaps we may never know muhahahahahahahahha

plus who really has an iron sized magnet laying around? come on people. It is more like this person has an M16A2 service rifle with FIVE rounds, say again FIVE ROUNDS, with a target of an iPhone HD get those targets high in the SKKKKYYYYYYYYYYY FIRE!

I better at least get a yutt or a head nod from the OP for the thought I put into this reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.