iPhone Exclusive To Cingular Through 2009

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RBMaraman, Jan 9, 2007.

1. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

SAN FRANCISCO (CNNMoney.com) -- Consumers will finally get the chance to own an iPhone, a mobile phone that plays iTunes and surfs the Web, electronics maker Apple said Tuesday. The device will retail for between $499 and $599.

Company chairman Steve Jobs, speaking at the company's annual Macworld expo, called the iPhone, which will be available in June, a "revolutionary mobile phone" that will feature an iPod, phone and what he called an "Internet communicator."

Jobs also disclosed that Apple's (up $7.10 to $92.57) iTunes will sell Paramount films, and that the long-awaited AppleTV device to view downloaded videos will be available beginning in February.

The phone is rectangular, and the entire front surface is a touch screen. All of its functions are activated by touch, but when you bring your iPhone to your face, a proximity sensor will turn off the touchscreen so you don't accidentally face dial.

The phone, which runs the Mac OS X, will be able to download and play both music and movies. It will come in two models -- a $499 version with 4 gigabytes of memory and a $599 one with 8 gigabytes.

"This is a day I've been looking forward to for two-and-a-half years," Jobs told the crowd at San Francisco's Moscone Center.

Jobs was particularly enthusiastic about the iPhone's Web-browsing capabilities.

"It's bad out there today," says Jobs of mobile Web browsers. "It's a real revolution to bring real Web browsing to a phone."

As an example, Jobs called up The New York Times' Web site. The full page displayed, rather than the kind of special, oddly formatted, version that most smartphones show.

He then called up Google Maps to find a nearby Starbucks. He actually prank called it and ordered "4,000 lattes to go."

Despite all these bells and whistles, Jobs said the "killer app is making calls." The iPhone will operate on the GSM protocol, but won't have third-generation broadband initially. Jobs said that 3G capability is coming. It will also sync with the Mac's Address Book application.

Cingular, a unit of AT&T (up $0.13 to $33.94), will be Apple's sole U.S. partner. It's an exclusive multiyear agreement, which means no other carrier will be able to sell the iPhone through 2009.

In a move that could hurt BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (down $11.16 to $131.00), Apple will offer free push e-mail from Yahoo (down $0.34 to $27.58) on the phone device. RIM currently charges for its e-mail service.

Google CEO Eric Schmidt, Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang and Cingular Wireless CEO Stan Sigman each appeared with Jobs at some point during the keynote.

While onstage, Jobs played a voicemail on the phone from former Vice President Al Gore, a member of the company's board, congratulating the Apple chairman on the new device. It was Gore who led the special committee which recently exonerated Jobs of wrongdoing in the company's options backdating controversy.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/09/technology/apple_jobs/index.htm?postversion=2007010917

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Seems like good news, but in three years there will very likely be a iPhone 2g. Arg. Don't think i can wait that long.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Wow...Apple...I love your computers, the OS and I love your iPods, but making the network Cingular only until 2009 is just...:mad:. Way to stick it to your customers.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Yeah, I'm going to bite the bullet and order in mid June. Hopefully Apple's customer service will rub off on Cingular. :rolleyes:

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

as odd as this sound I am kind of wondering how well the iPhone will work with XP and Vista. The biggest thing it needs to be able to work very well with is Outlook. If it wants a chance in hell of really kicking off and doing well it has to work well with the common M$ apps out there.

I know the iPod works to a point with Outlook but it is very limited and rather poor. I personally am wondering if this phone will work really well with Outlook because I know both the Palm OS and PDA verson of windows works very well with windows.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

maybe address book and iCal are going Windows!! :eek: that'll be the day...

I wonder if Steve & Co. thought of releasing it just for Macs first, then for Windows a year later. They probably just wanted it in as many hands as possible - hence the GSM move.

Or maybe iTunes 7.1 will have an addressbook! :p

7. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Ooh - Free Spam!! I have a hunch that Macrumors will have the inside track on availability -- Apple might say something too :p