Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riddlebox

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I think its when the radio pushes/pulls email from the cloud.

My blackberry does this.. I am amazed the iphone does this.. I moved it a foot away from the speakers and that solves it.

I've always had this problem with cingular with all my phones and near any speakers (TV, Bose computer speakers). Its from the cell service not blue tooth. Not really sure why it happens but I just move them apart a little and it stops.

Tazthecat

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Arlington, Va
Google Docs is pretty good.

I tried using Google Docs with the iPhone but when I clicked (I guess that would be tapped) in the text area nothing happened. Maybe I am just doing something wrong (a good possibility) but unless there is a change that causes the keyboard to come up when you are in the text area, Google docs will not be very useful. I was suprised that it came up though...

PS: Google spreadsheet still says it doesn't support Safari so no joy an the spreadsheet either.

-ron-

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
A touch of retro..

I actually really like the look of the Notes app. It looks like a very nice notepad, what more could you expect?

I wonder what other applications Apple will be adding in the future...

I agree...I think it's kinda cool. I was surprised by the negative comments about it. Reminds of the old days when we actually used to take notes with those things called pencils and legal pads (I wonder how many of you ever used one of those... :))

Oh well...different strokes for different folks! Maybe they'll offer a more high tech skin as an option in a future upgrade.

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA
I don't think I've seen this reported yet... I just took the SIM card out of my activated iPhone and turned it on and everything appears to work except calls and EDGE data of course. But this might be useful to someone who wants to use their iPhone SIM card in another phone and still be able to use the iPhone for music and movies and web over wifi, etc.

WOW, genius!
So would it be possible to use that card in a BB curve from att and use data and phone or would att check the phone is not iphone and block access?

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
No MP3 streaming, No Finder, No Video Record, Powerpoint viewer

What truly sucks about iPhone next to say the Palm Treo 755p is its inability to handle MP3 streams (.pls files) or AAC Plus...

Also, there is no Finder or equivalent, so when you download files via Safari, they go into a black hole apparently! Safari does not hand off mp3 streaming to the iPhone's iPod/iTunes SW, or whatever it's called...

They should add Powerpoint viewing, video recording, a terminal application for shell access, and the ability to mount the iPhone as a hard drive...

Clearly Apple has some work to do...

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Apple is the master of the UI

Has any one thought about the fact the Apple could start making UIs for a host of products? Think about Microwave Ovens as just one example! We have several and not one has a consistent, intelligent or logical interface. There are limitless products out there that could run a small version of OSX and a great UI.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have an Infiniti G35 with a Peripheral brand car adapter to listen to my iPod using the XM port, but it does not work with the iPhone, when I plug the iPhone the audio comes out the iPhone speakers, not the car, I know that is connected becuase it charges the iphone, so there is connection.

I just had to pay $350 for an iPod interface in my new Jeep Limited.

Does any know if the iPhone would work on this? It is the a MOPAR fitting, the type where the iPod is controllable from the steering wheel buttons and iPod info shows on the radio display. The connector is the same as a dock.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
What truly sucks about iPhone next to say the Palm Treo 755p is its inability to handle MP3 streams (.pls files) or AAC Plus...

Also, there is no Finder or equivalent, so when you download files via Safari, they go into a black hole apparently! Safari does not hand off mp3 streaming to the iPhone's iPod/iTunes SW, or whatever it's called...

They should add Powerpoint viewing, video recording, a terminal application for shell access, and the ability to mount the iPhone as a hard drive...

Clearly Apple has some work to do...

Yep, Steve should have checked with you first, what was he thinking? Apple will never sell any. :rolleyes:

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
SIM replacement

Has anyone removed the SIM from the iPhone and then after replacing it in the iPhone, had to "re-activate" the phone before it will work again? Just wondering?

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
iPhone email/.mac email integration is poor

I wish my .mac account is more tightly integrated with my iPhone.

Here are a couple of things....

1) A sent email shows up in sent mailbox on the iPhone AND the desktop/web version.
2) Emails either replied to or forward to or are unread, show up consistently on both the iPhone AND the desktop/web version.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
Also, there is no Finder or equivalent, so when you download files via Safari, they go into a black hole apparently!

I'd agree that if you download a file, you should be able to locate it, and that along those same lines you should able to mount the phone as a drive (if you in fact cannot.)

However, some of these "shoulds" are ridiculous. Powerpoint viewing? Terminal? Are you kidding? That's like people complaining that the iPhone should have a media card slot so you can view your photos directly from your camera without going through your computer. I guess the PC users who don't have iPhoto, well, I can see their point, but give me a break. Aside from the "which of the many types of media cards should we support?" question, you can quibble and nitpick to death, and for what? The sake of doing so?

While you're at it, why not complain that it doesn't have a built-in coffee maker or treadmill?

For a version 1, this things seems pretty damn awesome. I can't wait to get mine.

nacengineer

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
EDGE Speed Test

Just wanted to throw this up here for those interested...

I did an EDGE speed test today. From my home in Milwaukee, WI. The throughput tests as 127.4kbit/sec not too bad IMHO. Although I have noticed over the weekend when I went to Summerfest (downtown MKE) the EDGE network was MUCH faster. Regretabbly I didn't test it though...

However perhaps this is some insight for some.

nacengineer

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
Downlaoding

I'd agree that if you download a file, you should be able to locate it, and that along those same lines you should able to mount the phone as a drive (if you in fact cannot.)

However, some of these "shoulds" are ridiculous. Powerpoint viewing? Terminal? Are you kidding? That's like people complaining that the iPhone should have a media card slot so you can view your photos directly from your camera without going through your computer. I guess the PC users who don't have iPhoto, well, I can see their point, but give me a break. Aside from the "which of the many types of media cards should we support?" question, you can quibble and nitpick to death, and for what? The sake of doing so?

While you're at it, why not complain that it doesn't have a built-in coffee maker or treadmill?

For a version 1, this things seems pretty damn awesome. I can't wait to get mine.

Not sure how you downloaded a file. Everytime I try it just says that Safari will not let you do this... so no blackhole here... but it will be nice when/if they add this functionality in the future. Although at 8GB... not sure what that does for maxing out the HDD.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
Not sure how you downloaded a file. Everytime I try it just says that Safari will not let you do this... so no blackhole here... but it will be nice when/if they add this functionality in the future. Although at 8GB... not sure what that does for maxing out the HDD.

My post was in reply to liberty4all's statement about downloading. I personally don't have an iPhone yet (hence the "I can't wait to get mine" statement :D )

If you can't download files via Safari, I'm wondering if his/her comment was based on actual experience or simply guesstimation of what the iPhone does or does not do. Interestingly, some of the "should-do's" of his/her post seem to have been taken, verbatim, from Seth Weintraub's review, specifically a Terminal app ... Interesting.

gogoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Love it so far!! Look how nicely my two fav toys sync together:

iCayman.jpg

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
If a $70 phone works for you than consider yourself lucky! You only have to spend 70 bucks when the rest of us spend $500! There are a TON of phones out there for sale, there ought to be just about something for everyone. Kinda like digital music players. An iPod isn't for everyone either, but luckily there are lots of other options.

However, you ought not be surprised that not everyone in the world has the exact same interests, tastes, and desires as you. This is the reason why you can buy a car for around $12K or spend a $100K... something for everyone. That is what makes a free society great!

Personally, I totally don't relate well to the wine connoisseur crowd. For me, a $3 bottle of Arbor Mist tastes better than a $50 bottle. However, I don't care if they want to hype up their $50 wines. There is probably something that I personally just don't have the capacity to appreciate. Either way, let them have their wine!

I spent about 5 minutes with the iPhone and knew right away that this was a drastic change in the way of doing business. This is a first generation product. Look at the first iPod. This is great foundation to build upon. Meanwhile, what have the other guys done in the last 10 years? Not much. They've thrown more "capabilities" into the package... adding cameras, bluetooth, etc. But they've largely been "strapped on." Nobody (until now) has take a fresh look at how to integrate all these things.

Point taken...
I just want those people who said they are not buying an iPhone because of the cost to realize that there are very good phones that do most everything the iPhone does (and some things the iPhone can't do) for a LOT less (I have used those phones for years and realize that you may need to be more tech savvy than you would with the iPhone).

Unfortunately the same is not really true for the iPod...it's hard to find a comparable product that is hundreds of dollars cheaper. In this sense the analogy to the 1st generation iPod is appropriate, as when it first came out it was not the best mp3 player as far as storage or features or battery life. It was only through experience that Apple developed the iPod into the leading product. Maybe the same will be true of the iPhone...:)

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
I can't believe all the nit picking on here. This thing is completely unbelievable... it's by far the slickest, easiest phone/pda on the market, the email is brilliant, the ipod is unreal, and the web is far better than i imagined. it's perfectly acceptable over EDGE (in NYC at least) and it zips on WiFi.

What the hell is anyone complaining about? A Finder and Shell access? WTF? It's not a computer homey... it's a phone. Yes, it's a lot closer to a computer than anything before it, but it's still a phone so stop the nonsense.

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Truly ridiculous that streaming audio is not possible via Safari...

Yes, iPhone is UNIX, and some power users want the flexibility to tap into the power...

Powerpoint viewing is needed for business.

So much of the iPhone is not configurable by the end-user, in contrast to the Palm Treo -- in part because of lack of true 3rd party apps, and being a 1.0 release... I am sure it will improve in time...

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Truly ridiculous that streaming audio is not possible via Safari...

Yes, iPhone is UNIX, and some power users want the flexibility to tap into the power...

Powerpoint viewing is needed for business.

So much of the iPhone is not configurable by the end-user, in contrast to the Palm Treo -- in part because of lack of true 3rd party apps, and being a 1.0 release... I am sure it will improve in time...

Poor 3rd party development and unnecessary user allowances are exactly what make the Treo and others difficult to use and ultra prone to bugs, nits, and issues. Despite what you may think, since you're obviously a "power user", 99% of the iPhone using public (many of whom are professionals and highly technically savvy) have no use or interest in shell access. If you want to make a point for other things (Flash support, Powerpoint - yuck, or even simple things like copy and paste) be my guest. But shell access is really silly.

appledock

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Printing on iPhone

Does anyone know anything about the possibilities of being able to print to a network or bluetooth printer?

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
English only?

but, as far as I know, using DVORAK only helps if you are typing in English. It is such a great idea, but since it is localised, it won't make much a difference to the outside of the English speaking countries.

golly

I happen to type almost exclusively using the DVORAK layout on my Macbook. It's made for 10 finger typing, all vowels are on the left hand and you don't have to stretch out the pinky as much as with QWERTY touch typing. Basically, it's optimized for left-right-left-right hand use. However I don't really touch type like you're supposed to, i.e. rest the index fingers on the nudged keys. My hands move around a little, most words can be done with one or 2 hand strokes, like playing a chord on a piano.

I just typed the above paragraph using my thumbs to type (on a Macbook) in DVORAK. It's kinda hard because I don't have the thumb motions memorized and looking at the keyboard only confuses me (QWERTY keyboard...), but I can imagine having the keyboard in DVORAK on the iPhone could make typing faster. On the other hand, the error correction would not work as good, since the vowels in DVORAK are all next to each other. If you type "hot", the error correction might think it's "hit" or "hat" or "hut", all of which are actual english words. So that might be a pain in the :apple: ss.

Does anyone know if you can change the language on the iPhone? Does the leyboard layout change if you select spanish as the default language?

EDIT: PM me if you want more info. I don't constantly check all the threads. I also have iChat if you like that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.