iPhone Firmware 1.1.2 On The Way

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by mcdj, Nov 3, 2007.

1. macrumors 604

mcdj

2. macrumors 6502

hmm....interesting. But seeing that I just got AppSnap to get installer on my 1.1.1 I'll stick with it for a while. Unless 1.1.2 has GPS, 3G, and MMS, oh and of course copy/paste :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 6502

Nagooya

4. macrumors 6502a

they didnt indicate it came with any new apps which would be necessary to get people to upgrade

5. macrumors 6502

:)
    1.1.2 seems to be a useless update :)
    I can type all the chinese I want right now, with my unlocked 1.1.1

Apple cant force iPhone user to update. And its just a matter of time that 1.1.2 will be hacked..
    Come on, there are like thousands or more hackers working on it. Thats thousands vs one...

6. macrumors 68000

Sobe

Awfully nice of those hacker fellows to tell everyone where the security gaps are.

7. macrumors member

I wonder what's in the bigger box?

8. macrumors 6502

Im all for updating my phone if it fixes those damn lines going across my screen.

9. macrumors 65816

Its for the Uk outlets

10. macrumors bot

MacRumors

iPhone Firmware 1.1.2 On The Way

[​IMG]

T3.co.uk claims to have seen the a forthcoming update to the iPhone -- firmware version 1.1.2. According to T3:

MacRumors had also independently heard that iPhone Firmware 1.1.2 is destined to arrive upon the European launch of the iPhone later this week. According to these sources, the release will be mainly bug and security related with some European language localizations, and will require yet-unreleased iTunes 7.5 to sync.

Our source also mentioned that 3rd party SIM unlock software will be once again broken as well as some 3rd party applications. iToner was specifically mentioned as being broken by the update, though readers should note that Ambrosia has released a free update for every firmware release thus-far.

Readers may remember that the iPhone 1.1.1 update disabled all native 3rd party applications and even "bricked" some iPhones that had undergone certain SIM unlocks, which lead to a somewhat rough public reaction and aftermath. Nevertheless, workarounds were discovered and methods have once again been developed to jailbreak the iPhone in one step.

Article Link

11. macrumors 6502a

unlocked/jailbroken iphone owners, heed this warning! Don't press that Update button any time soon! In fact it's probably a good idea to uncheck that "Automatically check for updates" box in your settings!

12. macrumors newbie

So the cat and mouse game continues...hope people don't take this round of escalations too harshly. As for me, I'm still taking a wait-and-see attitude to the whole iPhone thing...maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon at 2.0

13. macrumors member

celloman

well thats good...and bad at the same time :rolleyes:

14. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So basically in about 5.5 days.

15. macrumors 65816

Um, what's the purpose of this update? Other than making people who have customized their phone miserable?

Oh, so I can make my menus show up in Cantonese...! Way to go Apple!

How about concentrating on delivering some useful upgrades? Like horizontal email/message input, or mms, or that rumored Internet Radio?

16. macrumors 65816

mixel

This is a useful upgrade.. For people who aren't English speakers, which is.. Hell, more than half of the world?

Seems pretty important to me.

17. macrumors member

yup

seems important to me to!

lot of ppl don't find it important because it may not be relative to them, but in reality it is to most of the ppl overseas.

18. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Great update if we get the international support. Anyone who does business with other countries knows how important it is to have international keyboard capability.

19. macrumors member

I dont know if they are talking about something different but you can enable the international keyboard on 1.1.1 by changing a value in a plist file. I have both English and Japanese keyboards working on mine right now :).

20. macrumors G5

nagromme

And of course, "breaking" apps really means closing security HOLES that those apps relied on.

So I say, break away. A SECURE way to install apps is coming soon enough.

21. macrumors newbie

All I want is flash. (ok, well maybe not all) that is my number one gripe. I remember good ol walt mosberg said it was coming shortly with a software update. But no dice so far.

22. macrumors 68030

This time I am NOT updating. I learned my lesson last time by losing my 3rd party apps. :p

23. macrumors 6502a

Yep! Just 3 months or so from now.

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe they're already too late. Some HOLES at least the most prominent one can be patched by one of those apps themselves already...making you have a more SECURE phone than even the factory/virgin versions.

Still...better late than never eh

On another note, with the Tiff bug fixed i honestly have no incentive to upgrade whatsoever if all i'm getting is language and 'bug fixes'